• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You are learning why many members here scoff at Reddit. Because the information there can only be taken with a grain of salt. It's very unreliable. I'm 80-90% sure ZF has sunburst unless they changed it or the batches changed.
Reddit isn’t that bad as long as you read what is written there and then do the exact opposite. Works 99% of the time.

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Reddit isn’t that bad as long as you read what is written there and then do the exact opposite. Works 99% of the time.
Me after reading the 1000th Redshit complaint about how RWI is corrupt and moderators get paid to shill dealers on reddit

Homer Today GIF

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
hqMAlv.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Reaps

kirkland_man

Do not accept unsolicited offers
8/7/24
This has probably been answered somewhere, but have not been able to find the answer, so apologies in advance for asking -

But where do you get rep AP movements serviced? Independent watchmakers are usually comfortable with Miyota's and even most Rolex movements, but not sure re: something like a 4302.

Am debating an AP rep and this seems like something I should figure out in advance.

kirkland_man

8/7/24
Look for the Service And Parts Providers list which is under the Marketplace Forum. All the best.
I did - and it seems like most US based guys work primarily Rolex / ETA movements. Am I missing something?

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
True.
Which is the reason why I personally stay away from Chinese copies of in-house movements. It's all sunshine and strawberries until it isn't anymore.
@legend may be able to help you out . . .

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I did - and it seems like most US based guys work primarily Rolex / ETA movements. Am I missing something?
Did you contact any of them and ask if they can work on a 4302 movement? The clone 4302 is fairly new so probably not many of our watchmakers are familiar with it. Parts availability can be a problem. I would consider the Miyota or other make that are known to be reliable until the 4302 is proven to be indeed reliable.

Reactions: Hesekiel

Postalz

3/9/24
what is the rotor color on gen ap royal oaks? is it gold or copper?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
what is the rotor color on gen ap royal oaks? is it gold or copper?
It’s gen 22k yellow gold in general. Not rose gold and definitely not copper. There are specialty models with rose gold and white gold ones and even gold with pvd coating but yellow gold is what most of them are.

Reactions: Reaps

Geylehunk

8/9/24
I am in doubt of going for the ZF 15450 or the Royal Oak 67650ST 33mm ZF.

I was thinking Quartz would be easier to maintain myself as there are not any watchmakets arround that want to work on reps.

How is the Quartz in long term? Does of last for like 3 years and nerds a battery change? Does the whole Watch needs to be disasembled in order to change the battery?

Does anyone had experience?

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
A quartz movement will last a long time as long as you replace the battery when needed, about every three years. Usually only the case back is removed to change the battery. Very easy to do on Japanese/Chinese quartz movements. Some Swiss movements, like the Swiss made 5030D quartz movement, can be tricky, especially the battery keeper. I have several quartz powered watches for over thirty years and they're still working.

Reactions: leo6929

Geylehunk

8/9/24
A quartz movement will last a long time as long as you replace the battery when needed, about every three years. Usually only the case back is removed to change the battery. Very easy to do on Japanese/Chinese quartz movements. Some Swiss movements, like the Swiss made 5030D quartz movement, can be tricky, especially the battery keeper. I have several quartz powered watches for over thirty years and they're still working.
Yes but I have read somewhere it is really easy, but on the otherhand I read things about screw remover of the bezel and dail/case in order to replace.

But it is hard to find it the ZF 67650ST 33mm is easy to replace or not.

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I looked up the movement type the ZF 67650ST uses and found on Trust Times website it uses the ETA F04.115 quartz. It looks easy enough to replace the battery. YouTube has several tutorial videos on how to replace the battery in this particular movement. The search engine is your friend here.

Usd97

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
24/9/20
USA
hi @legend - thanks for this space! I wanted to ask a question to the floor - what is the best 37mm AP RO rep I can buy today? Is it the ZF15450? Which dial color is closest to gen? Is there any writing on this anywhere in this thread. Many thanks in advance. I’m this close to pulling the trigger on the gray dial!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
hi @legend - thanks for this space! I wanted to ask a question to the floor - what is the best 37mm AP RO rep I can buy today? Is it the ZF15450? Which dial color is closest to gen? Is there any writing on this anywhere in this thread. Many thanks in advance. I’m this close to pulling the trigger on the gray dial!
The 15450 is a good choice yes and if you want the grey dial then zf is the only way to go. Thank you.

Rehaut85

23/3/17
Question, I went with APSF for a 15500 in Blue Dial as that was the recommended when I researched, the QC pics were a little dark, and received the watch and sure enough its super super dark almost black/dark grey, when I look at blue dials online, youtube videos etc you can tell its blue... Thoughts?

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Question, I went with APSF for a 15500 in Blue Dial as that was the recommended when I researched, the QC pics were a little dark, and received the watch and sure enough its super super dark almost black/dark grey, when I look at blue dials online, youtube videos etc you can tell its blue... Thoughts?
Yes, the tappiserie is also wrong
However, have in mind that unfortunately all the rep 15500 dials are wrong if you compare it with the gen, it's not that you had a better option

Rehaut85

23/3/17
Yes, the tappiserie is also wrong
However, have in mind that unfortunately all the rep 15500 dials are wrong if you compare it with the gen, it's not that you had a better option
Is there a rep blue dial AP that is better? Ie: 15400, 15510 ?