• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi guys,

There has recently been an influx of newbies into the AP section, and it is understandable to have questions. I am starting this thread for anyone with questions, so that the questions can be concentrated in one thread as opposed to new threads popping up all over and potentially annoying the rest of the community.
So the rules of this thread are simple:

1. Any and all questions about AP can be asked.
2. There will be no flaming for any questions asked.
3. Anyone can answer the questions asked.
4. There are often no right or wrong answers, only opinions. Reader discretion is always advised.
5. Irrelevant comments will be deleted so that thread remains easy to navigate.
6. Any language is allowed in this thread. However if nobody understands the language you may get no answer.

So there you go. Ask away!

Last edited:

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Well, possibly the first question - the new AP movement supposedly full custom, is it really full custom, or just a monkeyed up miyota as proven for the PP annual calendars?

Unfortunately, I cant provide specifics as I dont remember, but pointer to "recent posts"

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Well, possibly the first question - the new AP movement supposedly full custom, is it really full custom, or just a monkeyed up miyota as proven for the PP annual calendars?

Unfortunately, I cant provide specifics as I dont remember, but pointer to "recent posts"

I assume you are referring to the APSF 15500. I think it is a bit early to tell, but I will be receiving one soon. I will strip it down and answer you ASAP. Thank you.

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
Where can one find a replacement cyclops for the 7750 42 ROO movement. I know a sighted bumbling individual, totally not me or anything, ahem, who managed to lose one when servicing a ruberclad's movement (clear things and crappy eyes don't seem to mix). And try as he might he hasn't seemed to find a place to source one that looks correct. So the watch has been sitting on the healing bench for way too long now, and this individual would like to wear the watch again without having to gut another of his watches for parts.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Where can one find a replacement cyclops for the 7750 42 ROO movement. I know a sighted bumbling individual, totally not me or anything, ahem, who managed to lose one when servicing a ruberclad's movement (clear things and crappy eyes don't seem to mix). And try as he might he hasn't seemed to find a place to source one that looks correct. So the watch has been sitting on the healing bench for way too long now, and this individual would like to wear the watch again without having to gut another of his watches for parts.

Where do you live?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

It can be ordered from a TD if need be.

Reactions: Allure

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
"Gregarious & helpful, but annoying & effective "

Being a glass half full type of guy, there are more compliments there than not, so I'll ignore the 'annoying' part of the shout out & focus on the positives.

I'm also, at all times honest & transparent.
Those who know me, know that, so with that in mind, I'm not ashamed to say that 'I know what I know and I know what I don't know' - the process of learning is exciting to me.

What I don't know is AP.

That is a fact & I'm well aware of it.
It's not an area I've explored in depth nor am I passionate about.

But I will of course help out, when asked, because that's what this entire community is all about, so here is my initial 2c.

It's the first thought that came to mind & before anyone starts sharpening any knives, please bear with me while I explain my thought process.

I think we all have to accept that, aside from the core long-term members, enthusiastic about AP, the vast majority of new members to this section, like all other sections on the forum, want to know:

'who makes the best...?'

And we all know how that question goes down.

:trainwreck:

The majority of these new members will stop by, post their question, cause unnecessary blood pressure spikes, and move on, never to be seen again.

They may get ignored, on rare occasions get an answer, sometimes get referred toTobel's
​​​​​​excellent thread, but let's be honest, most likely they get flamed (& that's in all sections across RWI)
They sometimes don't even care why it's the best, they just want an easy answer, some justification from established members, to spend their money on A versus B.

I would go so far as to say it is cause of most of the heated discussions across all sections of the forum & not unique to this section.

And please don't think I condone these type of questions.

They infuriate me too, because there is no denying they are hands down the laziest questions possible & downright insulting to the contributing members (both past and present) who have taken the time to share their opinions.

BUT they have always been asked, and will always be asked, that is something 100% guaranteed, like death & taxes as my nanny used to say.

Everyone also needs to be crystal clear, that any answer given, in any thread, is based on a member's opinion & experts will agree on some things but will differ on others.

Very rarely have I seen 100% agreement on anything on here, closest I believe was ~98% one time.

Saying all that & I know how much you dislike the idea of the NWBIG listing, but it can't be denied that your opinion, above all, is valued very highly - you are the AP section head afterall.

So perhaps, if you had time, you could establish a pinned listing of what YOU yourself consider the top tier/excellent reps for the most popular AP offerings?

You could call it "Legend's top picks" or something like that, name tbc :graman:

And I know it's a body of work, but I think it'd definitely be worth it in the long term, if you're looking to streamline the section.

Theres no denying the traffic to the NWBIG listing & am sure the tech gurus could confirm, but I imagine it's one of the top, if not the top, visited thread on the whole site.

zUdxzR.jpg

I wonder if your listing could surpass it ;)

I know of course that no replica watch, available from an RWI TD (even if modded, franken, superfranken etc) will ever be GEN, never 1:1, and all could potentially be called out, by those in the know, but I suspect this listing would save alot of unnecessary consternation within this section.

People can then choose to heed your advice, or not, at the end of the day it's their money & they are grown adults.

While this may look like it is rewarding laziness & in a sense it is, you sometimes have to pick your battles because it makes no sense trying to win them all.

The fact remains that you have a body of knowledge, and a reputation as the AP Expert on RWI, so sharing your opinion, will mean this question is answered once, in one stickied thread, which can then can updated for new factory offerings, if your opinion changes, and also linked to, when the question is inevitably asked.

Then if members want further elaboration, they can research the section like everyone else, but nobody can ever say they didn't get a helping hand when they happened upon the AP section.

It ultimately boils down to you deciding what is important to you, as head of this section.

Is it bolstering a culture of confrontation, elitism and hostility, or establishing a welcoming section where members can explore & enjoy the brand you yourself proudly champion.

Am sure there are valid arguments for and against my suggestion, and it could be considered pure sacrilege to the AP purists, but if you want less volatility, and more flow within the section, this is, imo, one way to accomplish it, very easily, with one simple posting.

Then you guys can focus on what's really important, something about an instant date change, tachy shaving and sunburst on dials :eek:hwell:

I debated a little whether to post this at all, because I am sure it is a very divisive & incendiary suggestion, but you did say no flaming, so there ya have it, my 2c, for whatever it's worth.

:goodluck:

Last edited:

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
It can be ordered from a TD if need be.
Oh. Glad to know, thank you! I'll check with my TD. I feel kinda stupid that I never thought to ask them lol.

Tompa No worries I appreciate the thought tho. Thank you!

Beefcake

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/7/21
Is there any ap rep dial that even comes close? Because rhe ones I've seen so far are way off. Also, as a previous post suggested, are there any that you consider nwbig or super rep, without any modifications?

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Is there any ap rep dial that even comes close? Because rhe ones I've seen so far are way off. Also, as a previous post suggested, are there any that you consider nwbig or super rep, without any modifications?

What watches are you talking about? ROO or RO or somthing else? The JF/FZ diver is verry good dial. XF carbon diver is verry good to.

Reactions: Beefcake

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Yes, legend could tell what is a good rep and give a mark depending on reliability and accuracy of details, for example 9/10 for ZF 15500 with Miyota. Or two marks, one for reliability and the other for the flaws... It won't be done in one day but it's not every day that AP makes a new release ;) It won't prevent people from debating about how the tapisserie of the rep is but it would give an overview to 95% of the new buyers who sometimes just want to know if their chrono AP will last more than 6 months... Even if it will always be subjective, it will rationalize the debate.

Beefcake

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/7/21
What watches are you talking about? ROO or RO or somthing else? The JF/FZ diver is verry good dial. XF carbon diver is verry good to.

Ok thanks, I'll have a look.

VenomGT3

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/4/22
USA
If I want to replace the strap on my 44mm AP ROO Grand Prix, do I need one or two screwdrivers? Also would they be the 1.20 or 1.40mm ones? And the replacement strap is going to be what size?

Last edited:

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
If I want to replace the strap on my 44mm AP ROO Grand Prix, do I need one or two screwdrivers? Also would they be the 1.20 or 1.40mm ones? And the replacement strap is going to be what size?

You need 2

Reactions: VenomGT3

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I can do it with one if needed but typically 2 are needed. 1.25mm is what I used but screwdrivers in that size range works.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes, legend could tell what is a good rep and give a mark depending on reliability and accuracy of details, for example 9/10 for ZF 15500 with Miyota. Or two marks, one for reliability and the other for the flaws... It won't be done in one day but it's not every day that AP makes a new release ;) It won't prevent people from debating about how the tapisserie of the rep is but it would give an overview to 95% of the new buyers who sometimes just want to know if their chrono AP will last more than 6 months... Even if it will always be subjective, it will rationalize the debate.

Thank you kindly nono92.

My opinion comes from what I see and my experience and knowledge. Hence, it is also subjective and has a weightage of one person, like anyone else’s.
The reason I didn’t start my own list is because I will regard it the same way I do the “consensual” super reps list: that it’ll be subjective and it’s my own list, and like any such list started by anyone, there will be guys who find it helpful, and not. I don’t want to create a standard because everyone should have their own standards when it comes to their own watches and not follow what someone else thinks.
I do answer to PMs asking me for my opinions if approached the the right way.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Hi guys,

There has recently been an influx of newbies into the AP section, and it is understandable to have questions. I am starting this thread for anyone with questions, so that the questions can be concentrated in one thread as opposed to new threads popping up all over and potentially annoying the rest of the community.
So the rules of this thread are simple:

1. Any and all questions about AP can be asked.
2. There will be no flaming for any questions asked.
3. Anyone can answer the questions asked.
4. There are often no right or wrong answers, only opinions. Reader discretion is always advised.

To mitigate the seemingly wild-west atmosphere of the section, I am also roping in the gregarious and helpful P..DR..D aka the King of Links to help with his trademark signature links. Normally this is annoying as hell but I cannot deny that it is effective and useful for the new ones. So there you go. Ask away!

Thanks for this. It’s nice to have a flame free outlet for any questions, although I do enjoy searching and reading multiple threads looking for any information I may require (always good to get as many opinions and experiences as possible).

Reactions: legend