• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You do not need more than one thread for this. So either keep your question here or your own thread. Let’s not clutter up the section with repeated identical posts. Thanks.

montblanc2

Renowned Member
26/1/15
Hello, I have a question, are the 26400 and 26470 hands same size? I am looking for a set of hands for the 26470 and not able to find them, but I just found a set for the 26400 that looks the same to the 26470. They will mount for sure because the caliber is the same, but my question is about the size, will they be the same size? Thank you

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hello, I have a question, are the 26400 and 26470 hands same size? I am looking for a set of hands for the 26470 and not able to find them, but I just found a set for the 26400 that looks the same to the 26470. They will mount for sure because the caliber is the same, but my question is about the size, will they be the same size? Thank you
No. The lengths are different.

Reactions: W47chl0v3r

Qualityking

Do not accept unsolicited offers
20/5/24
Hey everyone, I have a couple of newbie questions. Hoping a helpful soul in here can enlighten me.
I have been looking at Royal Oak 15400 RG/RG Black/Stk APSF SA3120 Super Clone

Can anyone tell me their experience with the movement, and also the durability of gold plated watches. Is it worth it or will the plating be worn off in no time ?

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/9/15
Hi,
I have 3 questions please.

1) about dials,: are the following genuine dials interchangeable / similar / identical?
25940SK "rubberclad" (white dial version) / 26020ST "white themes" / 25721ST (white dial version). i.e could any of those gen dials be used to build a rep franked AP "white themes" or only the actual 26020ST? if not, what are the differences please?

2) what's the actual correct reference number/code for the AP 42mm ROO "white themes"? sorry for the confusion.

2) Can a rep noob AP "black themes" be used as a base to franken it to a "white themes"? i.e by sourcing gen correct dial / matching gen DW / matching gen tachy ring?

thank you for reading and your help.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Hi,
I have 3 questions please.

1) about dials,: are the following genuine dials interchangeable / similar / identical?
25940SK "rubberclad" (white dial version) / 26020ST "white themes" / 25721ST (white dial version). i.e could any of those gen dials be used to build a rep franked AP "white themes" or only the actual 26020ST? if not, what are the differences please?

2) what's the actual correct reference number/code for the AP 42mm ROO "white themes"? sorry for the confusion.

2) Can a rep noob AP "black themes" be used as a base to franken it to a "white themes"? i.e by sourcing gen correct dial / matching gen DW / matching gen tachy ring?

thank you for reading and your help.

I’ll lend a hand here and help answer this for you.

1. not identical but they can be used interchangeably. All 42mm Offshore gen dials can be used in any combination you wish. Just that it won’t be correct to the gen reference you’re working with.
2. It’s the 25721ST or more precisely add the .oo.1000st. and I think it’s 07 but I’m sure @legend will grill *err* correct me if I’m wrong on the last .07 part as I might be wrong lol. 🤣
3. Yes, in fact the noob bases are better than JF due to the better midcase geometry. While many can’t see the difference here it’s certainly a thing. Do note, as always you’ll need to have that and any other case machined and modified in order to fit the LWO, 3126 or gen movement and the gen parts.
A gen dw will not fit unless you use the gen movement or 3126 (which would be periodically incorrect except for a service movement). Gen dial, hands, tachy, pushers, straps, plots crystal and crown are no problem and can be fit or made to fit.

Last edited:

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/9/15
Hello,
thank you very much for your answer! very informative .
I've found online the 25721ST.00.10000ST.07 dial is (at least to my untrained eyes) identical to the 26020ST.OO.D001IN.02.A, maybe the lume color is a little greener on the the 25721ST.00.10000ST.07. The dial on the 29540SK.00.D002CA.02.A to me is also identical to the previous two mentioned.

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Hey folks. Where would one find a crystal or cyclops to improve a chrono passion I'm about to receive?

dissipate

6/8/24
Hi everyone, I've been reading lots of threads and looking at pictures of ROs on wrists because I would like to get a white dial RO and have a small 5.5" wrist.

The white dials with sunburst look amazing, but is it true that the 33mm white dials do not have sunburst? I fear the 34mm is too big for me since it has a lug-to-lug of 43.4mm (according to some websites). My 42.3mm Garmin Forerunner is already pushing it.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi everyone, I've been reading lots of threads and looking at pictures of ROs on wrists because I would like to get a white dial RO and have a small 5.5" wrist.

The white dials with sunburst look amazing, but is it true that the 33mm white dials do not have sunburst? I fear the 34mm is too big for me since it has a lug-to-lug of 43.4mm (according to some websites). My 42.3mm Garmin Forerunner is already pushing it.
How about a 37mm 15450? It wears like a 40mm Rolex Daytona

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
That's strange, if the lug to lug for the 34mm is 43.4mm, how does the 37mm wear like a 40mm?
AP's wear larger than their size due to design + integrated bracelet. I always judge them to wear 2-3mm above their size.

The 33mm/34mm wears like a Datejust 36mm.

The 37mm wears like a 40mm Daytona.

dissipate

6/8/24
Thanks everyone for your help with measurements! Would anyone happen to know the lug to lug measurement for the 33mm?
One of the TDs has told me that 33mm does have sunburst (not sure why someone on Reddit told me it doesn't...).

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Thanks everyone for your help with measurements! Would anyone happen to know the lug to lug measurement for the 33mm?
One of the TDs has told me that 33mm does have sunburst (not sure why someone on Reddit told me it doesn't...).
You are learning why many members here scoff at Reddit. Because the information there can only be taken with a grain of salt. It's very unreliable. I'm 80-90% sure ZF has sunburst unless they changed it or the batches changed.

dissipate

6/8/24
You are learning why many members here scoff at Reddit. Because the information there can only be taken with a grain of salt. It's very unreliable. I'm 80-90% sure ZF has sunburst unless they changed it or the batches changed.
Darnit. I will start hanging out more here!

Would anyone also know if JF / JJF / ZF does the best white 33m? There were lots of QC posts on Reddit complaining about ZF's screws, and people said JF / JJF were the best but have closed down.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU

i'm a man with small wrists and albeit I own some <35 mm vintage watches that I like but even on my wrist they look a bit feminine to my eyes. In the case of modern watches 35+ mm timepieces fit a man better imho. To each their own, ofc.

dissipate

6/8/24
i'm a man with small wrists and albeit I own some <35 mm vintage watches that I like but even on my wrist they look a bit feminine to my eyes. In the case of modern watches 35+ mm timepieces fit a man better imho. To each their own, ofc.
Would you mind sharing what's in your collection? It'll give me some ideas!

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Would you mind sharing what's in your collection? It'll give me some ideas!
Regarding modern reps Patek 5711/2, 5811, 40 mm Calatrava, 37-41 mm APROs (41 mm is very big on my wrist but I don't care in the case of tourbillons), Rolex Daytonas (I don't like other Rolexes), 40-42 mm Longines chronos.