• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

MrReuben

Getting To Know The Place
25/5/20
New full titanium 15202IP from ZF release! Shame it still carries the pizza hour hand though...

Rockcel

Do not accept unsolicited offers
17/7/24
Hello! I'm new here. I want to buy Piguet ROO 23238 and I'm confused. I asked many sellers on wechat about factories. They told me the price for the ZF and APSF (APF) factory. But I'm not sure if ZF makes this model, I couldn't find any information about it. Which mechanism is the best and provides instant date change? Which factory should I choose? Is there a 4130 movement for this model? One of the dealers said that he has this modification.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I have one and it really isn’t bad at all. The color theme is attractive. Old but new.

The factory where this came from is very particular on who they sell watches to so I’ve heard. Hands down the most desirable one of them all.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Is there a 4130 movement for this model? One of the dealers said that he has this modification.
The dealer must be either super talented or lying if he says he can put a Rolex Daytona 4130 cal. into this watch.
My strong intuition is inclined toward the latter. Be careful about what the "dealer" said if he said this.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
After reading this I'm now thinking about putting a genuine Rolex movement into one of my $100 Seikos.
Call it reverse snobism . . .

• Haha
Reactions: cotti-rottie

Qualityking

Do not accept unsolicited offers
20/5/24
Hello everyone,

Today I fell upon the newly released

ROYAL OAK 39MM 15202IP TITANIUM ZF 1:1 BEST EDITION BLUE TEXTURED DIAL ON SS BRACELET A2121 V2​

Can anyone in here please tell me about the movement ? I can’t seem to find any info on it on RWI or Reddit. Also has the Legend anything interesting to say to this new release?

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello everyone,

Today I fell upon the newly released

ROYAL OAK 39MM 15202IP TITANIUM ZF 1:1 BEST EDITION BLUE TEXTURED DIAL ON SS BRACELET A2121 V2​

Can anyone in here please tell me about the movement ? I can’t seem to find any info on it on RWI or Reddit. Also has the Legend anything interesting to say to this new release?
It is not a new movement but a modified Miyota 9015 movement to include a quick date adjustment function. The caption's descriptive wording is somewhat misleading making it appears to be a new movement.

Jcap66

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/3/24
Hey guys. New in AP world but AP and especially the RO are now my favourite watch!
I have a APSF 15500 and I’m one of those people that want my watch to look as close to gen as possible for the full experience. I’ve thought about polishing and if it’s worth the 6-700€ that it costs + service while the watch is already apart. I’ve seen polished RO’s and they look quite different but I don’t know how much of a role light plays in as a factor.
Does anyone have a side by side picture of a zf/apsf RO next to a polished one and the same environment so that the difference could be seen more clearly? :)
Pic for attention

Reactions: AG91

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Hey guys. New in AP world but AP and especially the RO are now my favourite watch!
I have a APSF 15500 and I’m one of those people that want my watch to look as close to gen as possible for the full experience. I’ve thought about polishing and if it’s worth the 6-700€ that it costs + service while the watch is already apart. I’ve seen polished RO’s and they look quite different but I don’t know how much of a role light plays in as a factor.
Does anyone have a side by side picture of a zf/apsf RO next to a polished one and the same environment so that the difference could be seen more clearly? :)
Pic for attention
For up close :

But really, the finishing of Royal Oak in my strongest opinion cannot be captured with still images, it has to be seen in person, cheesy but it's true.

In my personal opinion, you should seek a gen dial first. This is the most non-gen like aspect of the Royal Oak replicas. Then work on finishing and hands, etc.

Other modders and professionals such as legend can give their advice more, to them, I'm still a noob.

Reactions: AG91

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Other modders and professionals such as legend can give their advice more, to them, I'm still a noob.
In terms of time joined you may be relatively new but in terms of advice rendered I think that you have given very sound ones on many occasions including this one. So please carry on. And thank you for your time and service.

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
In terms of time joined you may be relatively new but in terms of advice rendered I think that you have given very sound ones on many occasions including this one. So please carry on. And thank you for your time and service.
Thank you legend. It means alot. And I learn alot from the forum, and in the field of AP, especially your posts and information you have shared.

Jcap66

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/3/24
For up close :

But really, the finishing of Royal Oak in my strongest opinion cannot be captured with still images, it has to be seen in person, cheesy but it's true.

In my personal opinion, you should seek a gen dial first. This is the most non-gen like aspect of the Royal Oak replicas. Then work on finishing and hands, etc.

Thank you for that link. I’ve been looking at these pictures of a JD polished watch and the brushing looks a lot deeper than on the rep, but it might just be light because it’s not that obvious in the link you sent, or it might just have to be seen in person to get it.

I would love to do a gen dial, hands and datewheel but that’s like 6000€ or even more and a bit more than I’m ready to spend at the moment.

Would you say that it’s night and day between rep AP and gen polishing or just that extra refinement? I don’t have access to a gen unfortunately 🥲

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Thank you for that link. I’ve been looking at these pictures of a JD polished watch and the brushing looks a lot deeper than on the rep, but it might just be light because it’s not that obvious in the link you sent, or it might just have to be seen in person to get it.

I would love to do a gen dial, hands and datewheel but that’s like 6000€ or even more and a bit more than I’m ready to spend at the moment.

Would you say that it’s night and day between rep AP and gen polishing or just that extra refinement? I don’t have access to a gen unfortunately 🥲
As an owner of some APRO reps here is my 2 cent advice to you for buying your first brand new APRO rep:

1) Order your watch from one of our RWI TDs.

2) Compare the QC pics of your watch with the stock photos of your or other TD(s). If you find any significant discrepancies the ask your TD and/or the RWI forum members about it.

3) Having received your watch start to wear it. If you find eg. the dial boring, the bracelet sharp, the beveling, the brushing, the polishing of your watch unsatisfying then you can start to dig your rabbit whole with inspecting gens, reading RWI contents, searching for parts and consulting with your watchsmith/modder.

*Edit:
Sorry, I misread and misunderstood your posts. Since you are already at my point 3) now then have a nice time with your beautiful watch and good luck with your watch project.

Last edited:

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
@legend Is there a way for a factory or someone that can make a custom 5402 dial to fit a Gen movement, and has anyone ever made one before?

Would you know someone that could do it and, What would be the price to custom make one?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
@legend Is there a way for a factory or someone that can make a custom 5402 dial to fit a Gen movement, and has anyone ever made one before?

Would you know someone that could do it and, What would be the price to custom make one?
I do not know of anyone who can do so currently, and I think the only decent option for now is the gen dial.

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
I do not know of anyone who can do so currently, and I think the only decent option for now is the gen dial.

Thanks for the advice. Know of any decent A B C or D series dial in any condition available that is reasonable?

Jcap66

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/3/24
As an owner of some APRO reps here is my 2 cent advice to you for buying your first brand new APRO rep:

1) Order your watch from one of our RWI TDs.

2) Compare the QC pics of your watch with the stock photos of your or other TD(s). If you find any significant discrepancies the ask your TD and/or the RWI forum members about it.

3) Having received your watch start to wear it. If you find eg. the dial boring, the bracelet sharp, the beveling, the brushing, the polishing of your watch unsatisfying then you can start to dig your rabbit whole with inspecting gens, reading RWI contents, searching for parts and consulting with your watchsmith/modder.

*Edit:
Sorry, I misread and misunderstood your posts. Since you are already at my point 3) now then have a nice time with your beautiful watch and good luck with your watch project.
Thank you. No worries your response will probably help someone that’s new in the hobby :)

For now I think I’ll enjoy the watch and if I like it just as much in a couple of months it will get a polish 👍🏼

Reactions: grillbrill

Fivedigitrolex

Getting To Know The Place
8/1/23
Philadelphia PA
Recently acquired all the parts to build a nice 26331st with the CNC Case.

Question: does anyone know how these pushers are secured to case? Unlike a Gen AP there is no hex screw which releases pusher button like a Daytona.

These have flat head screws which I have removed but from here I’m stumped? Buttons won’t come off are they friction fitted to case?

Same for the crown tube, it’s round with no internal or external notches to put a tool to.

If anyone has ever removed these parts PLEASE kindly let me know would appreciate it!