• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

1016 lover

4/10/22
KC8pX5.jpeg

KC8dRE.jpeg

KC8TUt.jpeg
It need a better bezel 😉

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
A little something for the ladies. All Gen but the NH movement and AliX hands.

Movement holder took a lot of tweaking to get everything lined up, need to make a custom DWO to line up the date, and it needs a new crystal. Otherwise, it’s running strong and she loves it.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS

Movement holder took a lot of tweaking to get everything lined up, need to make a custom DWO to line up the date, and it needs a new crystal. Otherwise, it’s running strong and she loves it.

Great work!

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region

Awesome
It would be a pity not to get a gen movement and hands on this one

Reactions: 369mafia

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
And as far as I could get on the next build, which is more 1016-like.

Need a bezel, crystal, and crown to finish. In a smaller, 24mm case (the first is a 26mm case).

All Gen but the hands and movement.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Where are u getting these dials and cases lol
Some I’ve had for years, some from places online, mostly eBay and odd little forums.

I was real into watches 20-30 years ago, and Rolex parts were cheap and plentiful. You could buy most subs and gmts for $1-2k, used, and date just an and explorers were often under a grand. I’d pick up stuff when it was selling cheap, with plans to build it up later, then drifted to other interests. Looks like I was lucky to have kept the stuff, since it’s now crazy expensive to source this stuff.

Last edited:

pullthat92

Gonna make it
Certified
16/10/23
I was real into watches 20-30 years ago, and Rolex parts were cheap and plentiful. You could buy most subs and gmts for $1-2k, used, and date just an and explorers were often under a grand. I’d pick up stuff when it was selling cheap, with plans to build it up later, then drifted to other interests. Looks like I was lucky to have kept the stuff, since it’s now crazy expensive to source this stuff.
Lol I wish I could go back then. I should have been buying Rolex parts... Instead of playing with toy airplanes

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
First off, let me say how gratifying it is to see a 'Underappreciated 1016' thread reach 223 pages. Warms the heart, especially if you know just how underappreciated it actually was back in the old days, when the Rolex talk was almost exclusively about Subs!

How about a quick story about my last 1016 build? Once upon a time, I called it my Explorer Project 4, following two cheap-ish 1016 builds followed by a nicer Space-Dweller that used a 1601 case and a bezel that jmb fabricated for me. Project 4 started out with a 16203 case, drilled by jmb for proper-sized lugholes and a 6mm crown tube. And all was well for 8 years.

In 2018, a business trip to TX gave me the chance to finally meet my collaborator and good friend, jmb. He smoked me a delicious brisket, and I had the pleasure of heading into his shed to watch his CNC rig engrave what everyone now knows as the jmb case. Once I returned home, I had a watchsmith swap Project 4's guts into the jmb, but it never quite worked well since then. My other great Texan friend alligoat recently helped me on that front, and found a much better watchsmith to sort this out. Unfortunately, I had to lose the ETA 2472, which had the correct beat rate but was well past its expiration date.

So here is where it's at now: jmb case, a fresh ETA 2824, gen early 70s dial, gen Tudor Sub hands, GS crystal, cartel 7836 bracelet.

Still one of the all-time perfect watches. Don't stop Explorin'!

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
First off, let me say how gratifying it is to see a 'Underappreciated 1016' thread reach 223 pages. Warms the heart, especially if you know just how underappreciated it actually was back in the old days, when the Rolex talk was almost exclusively about Subs!

How about a quick story about my last 1016 build? Once upon a time, I called it my Explorer Project 4, following two cheap-ish 1016 builds followed by a nicer Space-Dweller that used a 1601 case and a bezel that jmb fabricated for me. Project 4 started out with a 16203 case, drilled by jmb for proper-sized lugholes and a 6mm crown tube. And all was well for 8 years.

In 2018, a business trip to TX gave me the chance to finally meet my collaborator and good friend, jmb. He smoked me a delicious brisket, and I had the pleasure of heading into his shed to watch his CNC rig engrave what everyone now knows as the jmb case. Once I returned home, I had a watchsmith swap Project 4's guts into the jmb, but it never quite worked well since then. My other great Texan friend alligoat recently helped me on that front, and found a much better watchsmith to sort this out. Unfortunately, I had to lose the ETA 2472, which had the correct beat rate but was well past its expiration date.

So here is where it's at now: jmb case, a fresh ETA 2824, gen early 70s dial, gen Tudor Sub hands, GS crystal, cartel 7836 bracelet.

Remarkable piece, looks the part and has it's own history already 😁

1675lover

23/7/22
Some I’ve had for years, some from places online, mostly eBay and odd little forums.

Reminds me of this show

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18

I have heard about JMB cases and never understood if it was a supplier, member, or something else. Now I know for sure! I'm really a sucker for GMTs but that watch is just plain sweet. The crispness and texture of the dial, mixed with a slightly off center precision lume, it just screamed genuine at first glance. It's perfect, but not computer perfect. And the hands are beautiful too. I was worried you were going to say they were also genuine!
Great looking watch, and a nice history too. Wear it well.

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
putting this here

this is awesome.
technically, he is making a rep dial :oops:

I will always be amazed whenever I see a dingy and industrial looking machine shop produce something so fine and elegant. It's incredible.

Now I just need to get a Singer dial, abuse it beyond recognition, and send it to him to repair my "gilt 1016" dial. ;)

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I will always be amazed whenever I see a dingy and industrial looking machine shop produce something so fine and elegant. It's incredible.

Now I just need to get a Singer dial, abuse it beyond recognition, and send it to him to repair my "gilt 1016" dial. ;)
Yes especially the way he man handles them. You think he was working with raffles dials or something haha

Hayst

Known Member
15/3/23
Australia
I have heard about JMB cases and never understood if it was a supplier, member, or something else. Now I know for sure! I'm really a sucker for GMTs but that watch is just plain sweet. The crispness and texture of the dial, mixed with a slightly off center precision lume, it just screamed genuine at first glance. It's perfect, but not computer perfect. And the hands are beautiful too. I was worried you were going to say they were also genuine!
Great looking watch, and a nice history too. Wear it well.
"So here is where it's at now: jmb case, a fresh ETA 2824, gen early 70s dial, gen Tudor Sub hands"

And...they sound gen to me.

Or am I missing something?

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74