• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sunnydales AR coating round coming, gathering participants

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
I start thinking of the next round once members have their crystals back and I have some feedback. For the next round I need a lot more crystals to make it profitable, up to 100 pcs so I am not sure if there is enough interest. Well, lets check!

edit: crystals are shipped, tracking numbers to follow.

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
edit: crystals are shipped, tracking numbers to follow.

Great work Ate, really appreciate you doing all the leg work with our crystals. Looking forward to getting my Carrera crystal. Seeing as we are both in Finland, I could well be one of the first to check it out :)

sunnydale

29/8/09
Tracking numbers sent! I think our friend Micky will indeed be the first to show his Franken Carrera to us :)

sunnydale

29/8/09
Damn I want to see this watch with the new AR :) We were not 100 % sure if it really has a sapphire crystal, but after seeing the result, yes it has! I had one with mineral glass in my earlier round and the result was not good...

901FeyB.jpg

sunnydale

29/8/09
I guess i have my crystals pretty fast to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, you are so close :)

BTW guys, some of you sent SMP crystals for coating. This is how they look like afterwards:

Mine is still waiting for the genuine hands and dial, but should be finished during next week. Man that dial pops out like never before! Genuine bezel insert already installed :)

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
Great!
I think sunny it's time to sell your gen crpo and get noob's. A lot of spare funds to spend on gen parts ;)

sunnydale

29/8/09
Great!
I think sunny it's time to sell your gen crpo and get noob's. A lot of spare funds to spend on gen parts ;)

You have a point there brother, I have asked the same question from myself many times. But I think I would be ok with the rep parts, that watch is just so close.

Maestro77

Looking Around
3/2/14
Guess I got to know about this run a bit too late. I have got a couple of Tag Heuer Kirium crystals that I have been wanting to coat for some time. Have the exact measurements. Do count me in for the next run. Cheers.

mrjohan

Known Member
23/10/11
Wohooo! I will most probably get my crystal tomorrow!
Will install the crystal asap and show some pictures in this thread.

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
My Carrera crystal is at the post office, so will collect it this afternoon and post photos.

S3, has your Carrera crystal been double AR'd or single? I went for the double.

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
I went for double as well. I thought that all run was dobule AR'ed.

sunnydale

29/8/09
All of these are double AR. s3gOy, what do you think before-after? How is the clarity? In the pics the reflection color looks like genuine?

I compared my crystals to a genuine Omega crystal and all of them were as good regarding the clarity. But of course the residual color is different. On my SOH and 3777 it is more bluish than purplish.

The spec of the coating was 1:1 to my last run with 42 mm crystals. The last run gave bluish residual reflection. Because there are now a lot of different crystals, every crystals acts a bit differently. Some might have more bluish or more purplish reflection. And of course the coating conditions have some tolerances, every round is not just the same as last round. Overall this round gave similar results to the last round, but as said now there were a lot of different crystals.

Let me hear your thoughts when you receive the crystals! I have been enjoying my 3777 and SOH crystals now for a week and for me they gave a huge improments :)

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
All of these are double AR. s3gOy, what do you think before-after? How is the clarity? In the pics the reflection color looks like genuine?

[...]

Let me hear your thoughts when you receive the crystals!

In 3777 is HUGE improvement in clarity / transparency. And the blue/puprle hue looks great in this watch.

In carreras, as I said, I have mixed feelings mostly because rep crystal originally was colourless. I don't know if it was double or single AR but probably single.
After AR treatment the crystals have great transparency and the quality of AR is great! But GEN seems to be more blue than purple.
It's the similar situation like in Sinn U1 - the rep crystal has great double AR but it's purple. GEN has delicate blue AR. I think that comparing side by side GEN carrera crystal to Sunny's AR carrera crystal we would see more or less something like this:

IMG_7546.JPG

sunnydale

29/8/09
Thanks for the feedback bro! If you have time at some point, please take pics of all of those watches, 3777, Carrera, Sinns. It would be great to see how they compare to each other regarding AR. I agree, the best improvement was with 3777. With my SOH I now feel it is better than the genuine, and no longer makes the dial go blue in outdoors daylight.

mrjohan

Known Member
23/10/11
So nice! Thanks Sunnydale.

The AR is great! Even reflects less than the first Sunnydale AR run, with a crystal for my V5PO.

The crystal on my Mark XVII is so much better than it was before. The pictures does not make it justice at all, irl it's really good. It's a totally different watch!
The blueish hue fits the XVII perfect. The crystal looks very gen, when compared with pictures from the web.

12350202185_8a41161880_c.jpg

12350201285_94826a8bdd_c.jpg

12350655094_f3c65bf34a_c.jpg

Sunnydale PO crystal on my V5PO. Different hue - a little more blue - on the latest run.
New run reflects a little bit less.

12350204975_3d2c9d8011_c.jpg

sunnydale

29/8/09
Thanks for the pics mrjohan! Looks super nice, that first one is phenomenal! I am glad you still have the crystal from my previous run too :)

pippo

10/1/10
Sunny AR is so good that I might swap the crystal in the black Mark XVI pilot.
It's a shame to use it with a white/grey dial