• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sunnydales AR coating round coming, gathering participants

rhc22

26/11/11
My 3714 crystals have a very slight blue/purple tint but predominatly blue, very close to my 3717 gen crystals as can be seen in my post earlier. I have another 3714 crystal that was AR'd by someone else (don't know who) and that is very purple. On a black dial it is a bit overpowering. The coating you have done is perfect on my crystals, could not be happier!!

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
My 3714 crystals have a very slight blue/purple tint but predominatly blue, very close to my 3717 gen crystals as can be seen in my post earlier. I have another 3714 crystal that was AR'd by someone else (don't know who) and that is very purple. On a black dial it is a bit overpowering. The coating you have done is perfect on my crystals, could not be happier!!

Thanks for the comments!

I am interested to hear more comments when more members receive their crystal. Particularly I want to know if one girl is happy, and did it make the boy happy too :)

DRBAFC

Renowned Member
23/3/12
blue tint!

Sunnydale - top
Gen - bottom
20140213_102202_zpseb73680f.jpg~original

20130808_081025_zps50446f36.jpg~original

DRBAFC

Renowned Member
23/3/12
Another comparison between gen vs sunny's

20140214_115959_zps74fe4ee1.jpg~original

20140214_115939_zps510e9838.jpg~original

20140214_120644_zps276ef892.jpg~original

Wish I could put it on a black dial to compare to. D'oh!

sunnydale

29/8/09
Looks super nice! Which one is gen??? You could fool me with both of them :)

How is the transmittance compared to gen?

concepta

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
23/12/13
I might be able to chip in about 10 pcs of Portu crystals! Possible? :)

sunnydale

29/8/09
I might be able to chip in about 10 pcs of Portu crystals! Possible? :)

Hi bro! Yes it is possible when we will have a new run :) No timetable for that yet though. I need 60-100 crystals for the next run...

jungssyang

Horology Curious
19/6/13
detyvyhy.jpg
ta6yqeby.jpg
age8ejar.jpg
ape5utet.jpg
unevupyr.jpg
3ezu3a7u.jpg

got mine and have been wearing 3717 since then.

newly coated crystal is much clearer then before and awesome in every aspect.

you can see purplish AR on pics:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redmondis

13/4/13
Hopefully this gets through because the last time two times I have typed out this messages the RWI server problems have seen them lost.

I have a great news/terrible news story. The great news is my crystal finally arrived. I got home after a very long day (in the middle of setting up a business and routinely having 12-14 hour days) to see my package from Finland.

Even though exhausted I could not resist opening up to have a look. The crystal looked amazing, and I had to grab the Ladymatic watch to have a look. I lay the crystal on top of the watch face and was blown away with how great and GEN the crystal looked. As hoped the dial of the watch became the star.

So I was smiling form ear to ear admiring the AR treatment, looking at the watch from different angles. Then disaster the crystal slipped out of my grip and fell 20-30cm onto our stone kitchen bench:picard:. With my heart in my mouth I admonished myself "to be careful". But then to my horror when I inspected the crystal it had a small chip out it :picard2:

So I am pretty gutted about it, and feel I have let Sunny down. With being so busy I will get a watchsmith to install the crystal when I get time during a workday. I am worried that the crystal my break due to being weakened with the chip The guy that took it out said it needed a lot of pressure.

I will take some photos of the crystal lying on the dial (carefully) to at least give an idea of how it looks before I get the work done in case it does crack.

I emailed the dealer I bought the watch from and he told me the factory doesn't carry the crystal as a spare part so there goes my plan of buying another one and getting it sent to Sunnydale for the second round...

Third time typed out and still gutted.

sunnydale

29/8/09
Oh no Redmondis, that is terrible news! Happened to me too once...never be too excited with parts that can break easily...for me it was HBB crystal...and once a rep Rolex dial.

I will keep my fingers crossed that it will go in without breaking any more!

You have not let me down bro, I feel sorry for your disaster :(

DRBAFC

Renowned Member
23/3/12
I shattered one of my crystals too.

Maybe Sunnydale can look into indestructible coating as well as the AR :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

sunnydale

29/8/09
I shattered one of my crystals too.

Maybe Sunnydale can look into indestructible coating as well as the AR :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

There is no way to protect things from sloppy hands :)

Fraggle42

31/12/12
I got my crystals back and have installed one into my Tag Heuer Carrera Day Date, here are some pics (I sourced a new crystal for this watch, so the loose crystal in the pics is the one that came out of the watch - it shows the difference)

Oh.

Well I would be able to show you the pictures if the pile-o-poo attachment uploader worked. Tried the initial one and the "basic" one. Made sure the jpgs are smaller than 95KB. Uploader puts a red cross at the end of the filename after failing to upload, tooltip of the red cross is some XML code. Basic uploader uploads the files and then... nothing.

Go look RWG on the Tag Heuer forum, I'll post them there.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
We don't host pics anymore bud, you will need to use photobucket ect

Sent from my iPhone 5s Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

Fraggle42

31/12/12
Cheers bud. I will chuck them on my own server and link to them there!

Suffice to say the difference is like night and day!!!

sunnydale

29/8/09
I have now talked with the coater. They are willing to do more rounds. Now we know that the old coating can be stripped off and also that the coater can handle crystals with various size and shape.

They also said that they can finetune the specs so that in the next round the finish will be the same as in my first round. It is still hard to get all the crystals to have just the same reflection color but they can do adjustments to get it even better than this time.

I am very happy that they still want to do business wit me, they actually said it is refreshing to do something different they do every day.

My concern for the next round is this: I need 90 crystals for the next round to make it reasonable to do this thing. Last round cost me quite a bit. Also the pricing is difficult: the coater can give me a price only after they have checked all the crystal sizes. They need to check how many holders they need to make. At worst, the price for one new holder is 450 euros!

That is why I need to have a little flexibility on the pricing. I price the next round at certain level and keep the right to raise it to some extend. If everything goes right, I don't need to raise it at all. The more rounds I make, the more they have holders and less expensive it gets.

I can start gathering participants soon so we see how any are interested.

Fraggle42

31/12/12
I think you only asked on here last time but I certainly think that asking on all the 4 forums, and maybe also on TZ-UK and WUS, would pull in a lot more crystals.

Just looked at my watch box and there's easily another 6 I've got for coating.