• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stealthy non-alcoholic beer and wine options

xray7

Behold!
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
castlemaine XXXX type brews
Oh that stuff…. Dated a Queenslander in my youth and the family might as well have been majority shareholders… I drank it under profound duress.

If they ever make a XXXX non alcoholic version, I’ll buy one bottle and one bottle only, to send to a lab to have it compared with various urine samples for different species, so I can get the most accurate comparison in describing it as “like [animal] piss”

Last edited:

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Tasty seltzer and lime for 12 years, since stuff that tastes even remotely like the hair of the dog isn't an option for me. Never looked back.

It's still cracks me up watching hosts(who know I don't imbibe) try to figure out what the hell to do with me.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
It's still cracks me up watching hosts(who know I don't imbibe) try to figure out what the hell to do with me.
I actually smiled when I saw that. This was Ireland 15 years ago. "If you did not drink there must be something wrong with you". The reality was it made others feel uncomfortable for their own reasons. I read a stat recently that now 20% of adults here do not drink at all. I do drink but rarely. It is totally socially acceptable here now to go to an event and just say I will have water please or something else non alcoholic without an interrogation, or even worse "ah sure go on, it is only one drink, that won't kill you".

The introduction of decent non alcoholic beers has changed the landscape. Many people choose them now as it is just easier than dealing with the repercussions of a drinking binge.

Last edited:
Reactions: ward1991

xray7

Behold!
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
This was Ireland 15 years ago. "If you did not drink there must be something wrong with you".
This was my work and social context in inner London 5 years ago.

A huge amount of my reluctance to completely end drinking alcohol for a long time was not down to the prospect of getting the shakes or something from stopping drinking. It came down to an observation which may surprise people, but I can say it here very honestly - impact not just on social connections, but my career. A whole of context change.

I never did mind drinking boisterously or socially with friends, or quietly on my own at home… but I was able to build relationships professionally and personally to get my career progression somewhat supercharged by drinking with my peers.

I stopped drinking by pure coincidence just as the pandemic was declared a pandemic. That timing was incredibly fortunate for me. And in those years, a lot of people started to question the status quo on many things, including alcohol.

An enduring memory of my dad and I remains the night we drained the bar of a bracket of apperitivos without making it to dinner at one of his local haunts when I was 18. Not really something either of us planned but an illustration of how unnecessary things can be, but how much fun they can be, with a little alcohol involved.

I say this with tongue firmly in cheek, while acknowledging that a lot of truth is said in jest - booze is boomer tech.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
but I was able to build relationships professionally and personally to get my career progression somewhat supercharged by drinking with my peers.
Oh I remember that but it was more like the late 90s early 2000s for me. A lot of business was done in bars that sold gold flake champagne. That was a lifetime and another career ago. Back then my favourite tipple was the TVR (Tequila, Vodka and Redbull). It was an interesting time, an enjoyable time but I would not go back to it, neither would my liver.

Neither my father nor mother drank so no bonding experiences for me over alcohol lol.

xray7

Behold!
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Oh I remember that but it was more like the late 90s early 2000s for me. A lot of business was done in bars that sold gold flake champagne. That was a lifetime and another career ago. Back then my favourite tipple was the TVR (Tequila, Vodka and Redbull). It was an interesting time, an enjoyable time but I would not go back to it, neither would my liver.

Neither my father nor mother drank so no bonding experiences for me over alcohol lol.
Only ever had one bottle of that gold flake business but you’re on the money for timing, early 2000s.

Can’t say I recall having added tequila to the demonic combination of vodka and Red Bull, and if I ever did, it clearly is better that I don’t remember it.

• Haha
Reactions: C Master

xray7

Behold!
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Another evening, another wanky lifestyle picture, demonstrating how uninteresting my lifestyle is by taking the picture on my stairs.

Wasn’t bad, wasn’t exceptional. Will write up properly in the next day or two.

JASPER18

Known Member
Supporter
18/1/21
Northern England

So, here’s the Bavaria, it’s not the best, but pretty much ok I’d say. Compares well with Heineken 0%, light, malty with a good enough head. No aftertaste and certainty best served ice cold. Oh, and cheapest of the cheap too!

Reactions: MaaHeeb

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I’ve only managed to Guiness Zero in draught form over here in Blighty once, but it was excellent.

You’ve reminded me I need to get back on the Deutsch alkoholfrei train again. Maybe a Bitburger rendition as well.
Been reading this thread with a lot of interest... I like a drink.... i mean, I really like a drink...

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a raging alcoholic (well, I don't think so? 🤔) But I have been drinking all my life and mostly everyday. I am fully functioning, but as I get older I do tend to think more and more about my consumption. I've been drinking Peroni 3.5 to try and limit the alcohol intake... before I crack a bottle of Pinot Noir!

But today I have bought some Guiness Zero and it was @xray7 post above that led to the curiosity. So tonight i am going to try it for the first time and then I will leave a review tomorrow....

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Couldn't wait so cracked it...
IMG-3042.jpg

IMG-3044.jpg

Well... what can I say, this stuff is amazing! This is every thing I hoped it would be from all the reviews I've read about it. I haven't had areal one in ages but damn this is good... really could be a game changer for me?

xray7

Behold!
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Been reading this thread with a lot of interest... I like a drink.... i mean, I really like a drink...
Until 4 years ago, me too. This is despite health wise being told first in my teens and again in my 20s with liver scans that I was already taking on damage and that I should slow down.

You also happen to live somewhere warm which is conducive to easy beering… nothing will be lost in subbing out a couple of the full power drinks for a sneaky temperate one if a wee bit of grape juice is following.

I will say, the Guinness is exceptionally well done, not going to sugar coat it, you likely won’t find much better - a question of how far down hill the other options are.

Last edited:

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Until 4 years ago, me too. This is despite health wise being told first in my teens and again in my 20s with liver scans that I was already taking on damage and that I should slow down.

You also happen to live somewhere warm which is conducive to easy beering… nothing will be lost in subbing out a couple of the full power drinks for a sneaky temperate one if a wee bit of grape juice is following.

I will say, the Guinness is exceptionally well done, not going to sugar coat it, you likely won’t find much better - a question of how far down hill the other options are.
I had three of those last night and delayed my drinking start time by 3 hours! The wine smelt too strong and although i drank some it was more forced than enjoyed and didn't drink nearly as much as I usually do... tonight I may go without and see how I go... and it's a Friday!!! Dinner with friends on Sat and ive been given a very nice bottle of red so I know how that's going to go! 🤣 p.s I recommended the Guiness Zero to two people I know.