• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Scotch Lovers - Let Me Know Who You Are

Silvanos

Renowned Member
22/5/15
Amazing collections mates..when I've been in edinburgh I fell in love with highland park 18..

tchockie

Renowned Member
2/5/14
After University, it was encouraged to develop an interest and appreciation for different whisky's, representing a Scottish company overseas. Can't say I've ever been a fan of Blends (Chivas is the only one I would consider in that category), and I am more into Single Malts. I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I am reposting, although I found the tasting matrix's, such as this one below, being central to my ability to differentiate in the learning process and thus provide recommendation to overseas clients and associates.

As has been pointed out, Islay is by far the 'richest' and 'smokiest' of all malts and is definitely an acquired taste - happens to be my favourite also. Of course, with these matrixes, they don't often provide the clearest of tasting notes, particularly when you are referring to Brand X' 16/18/20 and so on.

My personal favourites include Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Jura Prophecy, Highland Park (all on the peaty side, drank with a few pipette drops of quality mineral water) or if neat, Glenlivet 21 is sweet as hell (total opposite end of the spectrum from the above).

Good Health.

Great chart!

menos

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/11/13
How are you guys able to keep a collection of whisky? Every time I get a new bottle, I'll have to open it and get a dram. I have a few that I use as a daily dram but I normally finish whatever I open in less than 6 months regardless of how many other bottles I have. I cannot resist on not opening a bottle whenever I buy one.

do you guys buy the A couple of bottles of the same thing then open one and keep the other in the collection?
Some i only drink a glass or two with the wife, others i enjoy with friends or just get another bottle

menos

1/11/13
After University, it was encouraged to develop an interest and appreciation for different whisky's, representing a Scottish company overseas. Can't say I've ever been a fan of Blends (Chivas is the only one I would consider in that category), and I am more into Single Malts. I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I am reposting, although I found the tasting matrix's, such as this one below, being central to my ability to differentiate in the learning process and thus provide recommendation to overseas clients and associates.

As has been pointed out, Islay is by far the 'richest' and 'smokiest' of all malts and is definitely an acquired taste - happens to be my favourite also. Of course, with these matrixes, they don't often provide the clearest of tasting notes, particularly when you are referring to Brand X' 16/18/20 and so on.

My personal favourites include Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Jura Prophecy, Highland Park (all on the peaty side, drank with a few pipette drops of quality mineral water) or if neat, Glenlivet 21 is sweet as hell (total opposite end of the spectrum from the above).

Good Health.
Lol i have the same chart saved on my phone

kp323

Renowned Member
1/3/15
This evening has been great! i just traded 3 watches + cash for a gen rolex gmt. Im so excited i couldn't sleep! Good thing i only have 1 meeting tomorrow.

With that being said, Ive been drinking trying to get a good night sleep. I'm now on my 3rd dram and its been a fun journey. I started with a Glen morangie nectar d'or, then a Yellow spot, now I'm on an aberlour abunadh. I think ill have a laphroaig cask strength 10 to finish off this wonderful evening.

Im still so pumped up from the rolex, so hopefully i calm down enough to sleep. what a good night.

Ubpfc

Renowned Member
2/5/14
United States
This evening has been great! i just traded 3 watches + cash for a gen rolex gmt. Im so excited i couldn't sleep! Good thing i only have 1 meeting tomorrow.

With that being said, Ive been drinking trying to get a good night sleep. I'm now on my fourth dram and its been a fun journey. I started with a Glen morangie nectar d'or, then a Yellow spot, now I'm on an aberlour abunadh. I think ill have a cask strength 10 to finish off this wonderful evening.

Im still so pumped up from the rolex, so hopefully i calm down enough to sleep. what a good night.

Congrats on the gen GMT my friend. I will raise a glass of 18 Macallan to you tonight in commemoration :punk:

wooky492

Put Some Respect On My Name
21/9/12
I prefer Macallen usually... but I tried Ballantine's 30yrs on a special occasion and it blew my mind.

By the way, will I be thrown to hell if I said I like Irish Whiskey?
;-p

kp323

Renowned Member
1/3/15
I prefer Macallen usually... but I tried Ballantine's 30yrs on a special occasion and it blew my mind.

By the way, will I be thrown to hell if I said I like Irish Whiskey?
;-p

I also like some Irish whisky. I like the single pot still. I had a red breast, green spot and yellow spot. Pretty tasty. I wanted to try a cask strength Red breast but overtime I'm about to pick up one i always get side track and get something else instead.

kp323

Renowned Member
1/3/15
So there's this new distillery in islay called kilchoman. I bought the machirbay it's a pretty young whisky I think it's only a 5 year old. I think it has potential but hovering at the price of a laphroaig 10 CS I'm not sure I'll pick up one again.

i also picked up a laphroaig cairdeas 2015, i think it's great buy. It's weird that I'll be describing it this way... A more sophisticated laphroaig 10 with a very clean finish. Now thinking about it, I'm not making any sense. I must go pour one again when I get home today.

Boristhespie

20/1/16
There has been a massive surge in new distillies in Scotland. Around here, there has opened Edin Mill, Kingsbarns, Ogilvie, Arbikie, Strath Earn, etc. So looks like in a few years we'll have a few treats coming. Incidentally all these places are selling SIMILAR TO en primeur .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

lethalspectre

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/5/16
ooooh pick me!
I have been loving Glenmorangie, also had glenlivet nadurra (16 yr) and if im being cheap, I'll get some Dewars blended malt wish a sprinklin of cool water.

prova4

11/10/15
I've some of old bottle '70s but I don't want to open them yet...

Maybe sounds bad to your ears, but I prefer Irish whiskey...

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Mikeodandy

29/6/16
Right now I've got 3 opened. Lagavulin 16yr, Caol Ila 12yr distillers edition, and glenmorangie La Santa (very similar to the now unavailable Macallan 12yr Sherry cask)

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Scotchlover

2/1/17
Lagavulin 16yr
Straight

I have been drinking this lately. Islay's are my fav. Opened a Laphroiag 16 a little while ago. Definitely think the 10yr is better. But, I'm not one to turn my nose at any good scotch, whether blended or single.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
So there's this new distillery in islay called kilchoman. I bought the machirbay it's a pretty young whisky I think it's only a 5 year old. I think it has potential but hovering at the price of a laphroaig 10 CS I'm not sure I'll pick up one again.

i also picked up a laphroaig cairdeas 2015, i think it's great buy. It's weird that I'll be describing it this way... A more sophisticated laphroaig 10 with a very clean finish. Now thinking about it, I'm not making any sense. I must go pour one again when I get home today.
I've been purchasing these since year 2. It's quite strong flavored and not really a great islay imo. Aren't dis something similar with their casks when they switch owners. Young, very young, almost there, etc. truly hard to find stuff and delicious. That said, I'm an islay whore. Love Peaty and Briney. Laphraoig, ardbeg, port Ellen being my favorites. I've had a serious collection for years but like many here most of my bottles are down to the last few glasses. I don't save them full to collect that way.

Scotchlover

2/1/17
I've been purchasing these since year 2. It's quite strong flavored and not really a great islay imo. Aren't dis something similar with their casks when they switch owners. Young, very young, almost there, etc. truly hard to find stuff and delicious. That said, I'm an islay whore. Love Peaty and Briney. Laphraoig, ardbeg, port Ellen being my favorites. I've had a serious collection for years but like many here most of my bottles are down to the last few glasses. I don't save them full to collect that way.

Gotta drink it once you open it.