• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Scotch Lovers - Let Me Know Who You Are

plummer1986

Known Member
18/2/10
Scotch Lovers - Where Are You?

I currently have been drinking blended malt Scotch's such as Johnny Walker Black Centennial Edition and regular Famous Grouse (although I have been meaning to try and snag a bottle of The Black Grouse.)

The other day at the liquor store, I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet single malt and McClellend's single malt. So far, tasty, but I'm finding it difficult to pick out extreme flavor and smell differences from the blends.

What do you all drink in terms of Scotch?

Monicker

Known Member
9/9/09
Definitely a Glenlivet fan! I received a bottle of 20-yr for my birthday and, while it's a very complex flavor, I'm not totally convinced it's worth the price. Maybe it's an acquired taste but I can't really afford to acquire it so I think I'll stick with the 12-yr.

I also really enjoy Bourbon! Oh, and Tequila! And Tito's Handmade Vodka!

:D

JBON

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/9/08
what do you guys think of Johnny Walker Blue Label. Just curious, I'm not a scotch expert by any means.

tflgee

1/9/09
Glenlivet is nice, I like the 18yr old. But Macallan is my drink of choice. The 12 yr Macallan is good, I wish I could justify drinking the older Macallan but that's just too much considering how much I go through. Generally I prefer single malts to blended. But the blended makes for a nice drink too. For a while Costco was selling Green Label for $34 and I went through quite a few bottles of that. Now they've jacked it up closer to $45.

For a round of golf I usually take a bottle of Black Label, Chivas or the 12 yr Glenlivet. For my evening libation I usually drink Macallan.

Others that I like,
Talisker
Balvenie
Glenmorangie
Lagavulin (16yr)
Aberlour

Blue label is nice but it's sure as hell not worth $160 a bottle!

I'm not sure if I spend more on watches or scotch in a year:wacko:

Reactions: greenbeancoffee

plummer1986

Known Member
18/2/10
TFLGee, we like very similar things sir. Golf, watches, Scotch... hopefully you enjoy guns & cigars as well, then we'd be long lost brothers.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I want to be "Scotch Guy" so badly! :)
I just can't get into it. I enjoy Cuban coffee with cigars.

tflgee

1/9/09
TFLGee, we like very similar things sir. Golf, watches, Scotch... hopefully you enjoy guns & cigars as well, then we'd be long lost brothers.

Just got me a case of Ghurka Park Aves from Cigar's international! Not big into guns, but I do have an old tricked out Ruger 357 (Police 6) and a real nice M1A rifle.

I think you will find that Golf, scotch, cigars, and guns are not an uncommon set of likes for guys. Watches though.....well that's just for freeks:wacko::lol:

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
let the bottle get to room temp ..never drink a sigle mault chilled never ...

use a nice thick glass to drink it out of ...some malts give a better taste if you use just a drop or 2 of good water ............hold the glass in your hands to give it some body heat ............ then you will start to get the full flavours and the taste will be wonderfull ............
a really good single mault i would recomend to anybody just getting into the wonders of a good scotch would be highland park http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/lda/
its mellow yet full flavoured and a joy to drink ............. im fussy now and wont touch anything under 21years old :jb::jb:

tflgee

1/9/09
I have to keep mine in a wine fridge because of the gawd awful heat here in the desert. When I get home in the evening the house is often over 85F. I set the wine fridge to 58F which make for the perfect temp to enjoy it. You will loose the subtleties if you get it too cold. And for gawd's sake don't put good scotch on ice. Save the cubes for the cheap stuff.

I'll have to try Highland Park. It's been recommended so many times but I just have not tried a bottle. Highland Park is a dumpy area of LA and when I hear the name I just think of that shitty place.

TFLG

let the bottle get to room temp ..never drink a sigle mault chilled never ...

use a nice thick glass to drink it out of ...some malts give a better taste if you use just a drop or 2 of good water ............hold the glass in your hands to give it some body heat ............ then you will start to get the full flavours and the taste will be wonderfull ............
a really good single mault i would recomend to anybody just getting into the wonders of a good scotch would be highland park http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/lda/
its mellow yet full flavoured and a joy to drink ............. im fussy now and wont touch anything under 21years old :jb::jb:

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
I have to keep mine in a wine fridge because of the gawd awful heat here in the desert. When I get home in the evening the house is often over 85F. I set the wine fridge to 58F which make for the perfect temp to enjoy it. You will loose the subtleties if you get it too cold. And for gawd's sake don't put good scotch on ice. Save the cubes for the cheap stuff.

I'll have to try Highland Park. It's been recommended so many times but I just have not tried a bottle. Highland Park is a dumpy area of LA and when I hear the name I just think of that shitty place.

TFLG

get yourself a bottle this weekend mate ...... I guarantee you will like it .......if not just pay for my flight over and I will refund you personally and drink the park ....... I will bring a bottle of royal salute with me so you can taste the good stuff ..........

guys from my house 3 distillery a barrel refurbish plant .all over the river about 1 mile max for them all .............. and at times I can smell the malt after distillation........ that's a smell you all would love ............

Boltgun

Horology Curious
10/4/10
Most definitely a whiskey lover checking in here. I prefer the Islay whiskeys for the smokey peatiness and iodine hint. I also prefer the darker colours than the lighter ones.

Lagavulin Distillers Edition is my No1

Boltgun

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
Most definitely a whiskey lover checking in here. I prefer the Islay whiskeys for the smokey peatiness and iodine hint. I also prefer the darker colours than the lighter ones.

Lagavulin Distillers Edition is my No1

Boltgun
i have a nice bottle of
Laphroaig 10 Year old / Cask Strength

that will put hairs on your chest mate .......57.8% MMMMMMMM
lrgob10yov2.jpg

Emphatic, full bodied and utterly unforgettable.

10 Year Old Original Cask Strength Laphroaig whisky is an Islay single malt bottled at natural distillery strength.

The whisky's rich flavours come through as never before because the whisky has not been chill-filtered.

This gives a depth of genuine taste and texture normally associated with sampling a whisky at its source.

Producer: Laphroaig Distillery - www.laphroaig.com
ABV: 57.8%
Country of Origin: Scotland
KelkooUsage: Whisky
Region: Islay

don't mix it up wit the Laphroaig Quarter Cask............. that's just normal stuff at 40% :SLEEP:

Renowned Member
30/3/09
Glenturret whisky (Scotlands oldest distillery) for me. Its a single malt with beautiful peaty flavours.

Chivas is something I have if I have a really bad cold.

Anything Johnny Walker is only served with coke and to those who don't like whisky.

tflgee

1/9/09
Chivas is something I have if I have a really bad cold.
Anything Johnny Walker is only served with coke and to those who don't like whisky.

Now that's funny! I keep a jug of "Clan MacGregor" for guests that ask for whisky and soda. Truly awful stuff.

izebulon

2/1/09
beg to differ with 747 on Johnny. black, blue and even green are ok (haven't tried gold). Maybe not to taste, but then again this feels like a single v blended conversation. both have their merits.

Boltgun

Horology Curious
10/4/10
I would love to partake in a wee dram:bananalama:

i have a nice bottle of
Laphroaig 10 Year old / Cask Strength

that will put hairs on your chest mate .......57.8% MMMMMMMM
lrgob10yov2.jpg

Emphatic, full bodied and utterly unforgettable.

10 Year Old Original Cask Strength Laphroaig whisky is an Islay single malt bottled at natural distillery strength.

The whisky's rich flavours come through as never before because the whisky has not been chill-filtered.

This gives a depth of genuine taste and texture normally associated with sampling a whisky at its source.

Producer: Laphroaig Distillery - www.laphroaig.com
ABV: 57.8%
Country of Origin: Scotland
KelkooUsage: Whisky
Region: Islay

don't mix it up wit the Laphroaig Quarter Cask............. that's just normal stuff at 40% :SLEEP:

jwortho

18/9/08
I'll add my recommendation to beginning with Highland Park.

Room temperature yes and if you must add anything, make sure that the water is not city/chlorinated - kills the flavour. Use bottled/filtered/distilled water only.

A single cube of bottled/filtered/distilled water ice is OK.

And I prefer one of "The" brands. THE MacCallan or THE Glenlivet. 12 year is good, 18 is better, and 25 is the best.