• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PPF 47040 Overseas

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Also how does the “1” number on the date wheel look like please? Is it like “1” or rather “I” like gen?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
The cross looks flat, tbh it's difficult to see even with my loupe. I need to take a macroshot.
Difficult to find detailed gen pictures, apart from the usual catalogue pictures, which are not always showing the details we look after.

zgZXAR.jpg

Last edited:

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Is this photo gen or rep? The "1" looks like the gen.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
That's the rep you can also recognize the lume : it is flat on the rep

Aquanautilus

Renowned Member
23/9/16
Also please note, there are also 2 different clasp styles, which should both relate to gen variations.
Beneath are those before mentioned reps.
Again white dial on the left, new PPF silver dial on the right.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx, the PPF looks clearly better

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Good, so it seems it has a correct font on th DW. Also the dial patter looks ok. So what flaws have we identified so far? :)

- malteze cross rather flat than bevelled as gen?
- lume flat

Anything else?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
- Ship details
- thinner characters on the brand and "automatic" mention

EdenAlando

Known Member
5/5/20
Bangkok
And here on a rubber which I bought on Ali for 25USD (I bought both the buttefly and tang buckle version). I like the style too, although the Overseas bracelet is a masterpiece (in design).
Mine came neutral but I'm sure you can find them with the VC logos. Quality is nice, although a bit thin (and here also too short for big wrists). Doesn't attract dust, honestly a good deal. The buckle could be better, but it's fine.
I abandonned the idea to buy the rep strap from the factory, for TT asks more than 160 USD for it, which is just insane.
It fits perfectly my 47040, and they even send you small tube to ease inserting the strap.

I will eventually stay with the steel bracelet, which, again, will improve drastically once oiled and cleaned.
Looks awesome!

locvs

Supporter
Certified
7/12/20
Germany
This should be considered FIRST CLASS imo
Obv. there are some minot flaw visible with a loupe.
The caseback is passable. I don't expect much improvement here as this is a lot of detail and would require an insane amount of work to get right.

Adding this to my future buys list. Silver dial is lovely!

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
- Ship details
- thinner characters on the brand and "automatic" mention
I recall seeing various QC pics from the other factories and noticed some case backs were far better detailed on the ship then others from the same factory, I even did side-by-side pics from my QC at the time to help me decide which one to go for.

I suspect it will be same case with the PPF.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
So let's check. Pictures may be misleading though, look at the 2 pics of the gen casebacks. They are also different.
But for sure, on my rep, the details are very weak.

Last edited:

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
To make a point about the variance in the case backs. These are a couple of images from intime from a different factory. Its the same model watch, but different dial colour and were listed the same day. As you can see, its quite a big difference, so it will be interesting to how this ppf fairs.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Second is nice, first looks like the PPF, much less details
Again, for reference the gen
montre-vacheron-constantin-overseas-en-acier-gris-27956433-7_1.jpg

Last edited: