• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PPF 47040 Overseas

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Yeah! I’m also hoping that some of these issues are just “optics” and won’t be real.

Excited to see real samples once people receive them. Especially the black and deep stream :)
What do we think about the grey sunburst dial version?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Nice too, however when there's no ar coating, I don't buy dark dials, I hate too reflective dials

Aquanautilus

Renowned Member
23/9/16

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
If I recall correctly, the other factories did offer the titanium bezel, but a member scratched it and found it was a steel bezel finished to look like titanium, so perhaps the same here.

The grey has always been my favourite, but it is odd that 3-4 TD sites all show it with the steel bezel, whereas Ryan shows the image and spec saying titanium.

Maybe he has newer pictures than the others who posted this particular model after it was corrected.

It would be great to clarify this.

Reactions: SHB and Meicmo84

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
If I recall correctly, the other factories did offer the titanium bezel, but a member scratched it and found it was a steel bezel finished to look like titanium, so perhaps the same here.

The grey has always been my favourite, but it is odd that 3-4 TD sites all show it with the steel bezel, whereas Ryan shows the image and spec saying titanium.

Maybe he has newer pictures than the others who posted this particular model after it was corrected.

It would be great to clarify this.

Maybe they got some prerelease version.

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
That's the most likely scenario. I emailed Ryan at intime, and the response back that after CNY he can double-check with the factory.

I have owned two versions of this over the years. The first, a white face on the bracelet, that I sold on as the hairs getting caught on the bracelet bugged me, the second, a black face on rubber was nice, apart from the known spelling error on the clasp, but I missed the visual appeal of the steel bracelet.

So, I am hoping third time lucky with the grey face.

Last edited:

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
Very interested in these. Only big thing that jumps out to me is that the "C" and the "O" in "VACHERON CONSTANTIN" are vertically oversized.

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
My TD said he was able to check with the factory a few hours ago and there is no titanium bezel.

Information could potentially change after CNY but, for now, that's what I've been told.

locvs

Supporter
Certified
7/12/20
Germany
WIth ZF/PPF the first few weeks are a bit problematic always. It takes them time to get the QC right.

However the factory has been shipping APs like mad and can't cope with the demand...

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
So it landed here today.
First impression : wow !
I must confess that the last one I had was from 2007, and it had few to do with what I've here : the bracelet was a nightmare to resize (when you managed it) and the lume was next to nothing.

Here I see (again) how chinese rep makers improved.

Few things (before pics when I have some spare time) :
- bracelet is easy to resize and well finished, I see no flaw, just one screw was bent (but these things happen). It deserves cleaning and oiling IMO to be perfect
- IMPORTANT NOTE : big wrists will be disappointed. I have an 18 cm wrist (7 inches) and removed 3 links . I wear my watches tight, which means that it could have been 2 links only. IMO wearers with wrists over 19cm will need to negociate spare links with the dealer, because later this may be difficult to obtain
- lume is even, bright in the same way on both hands and dial. It will not last long and the hands are fading faster than the dial.
- date and dial : no misalignment of the dial. The date is centered, EXCEPT between 11 and 19 where it's more on the left, which explain maybe the discussions we had and differences on the various pictures. Not shocking, for it's never cut by the window, and never too low or too high

Sapphire is hardly reacting to my diamond tester, so it is sapphire, but maybe only coated ?

There are only few reflection on the glass, so I believe there is an AR coating, although could not detect which colour (transparent therefore). The flat glass probably helps not having much reflection. The dial is a beauty, very crisp. Anyway it's my favorite dial (not a fan of the smooth ones on other Overseas models, as well as not a fan of the dial @3), so I may be partial.

I remember the details of the ship on the baseback being better on the watch I had years ago, but here I do not know what is ok and not vs the gen. I will have to investigate.

I did not open the caseback yet, but this will happen soon. Given the rotor noise (not too much though) I believe the custom movement is based on a Miyota 9015.

Very satisfied with my purchase

Last edited:

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
There are only few reflection on the glass, so I believe there is an AR coating, although could not detect which colour (transparent therefore). The flat glass probably helps not havingmuch reflection. The dial is a beauty, very crisp.

FYI Trusty and Intime don't say anything about AR but PT confirms AR coating

Also PT describes the movement as MIYOTA 9015 automatic movement modified to VC 1226 movement, which I believe and reassures me about the repairability

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR

Maybe this inner cap explains that the 9015 is a bit less noisy as it is usually (rotor).
All hardware is easy to unscrew and is of good quality (remember to use adapted screwdrivers)

One thing never changes : inside of the reps are never clean, so I took the opportunity to remove smudge.
The movement decoration is light and that's good, it is now easy to recognize the 9015, and I'm happy with this choice. Again, I am not a huge fan of deco plates which often bring problems (noise or rotor movement), not mentionning that some deco plates may be spoilt (Blancpain Baracudda for example)

Last edited:

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
And here on a rubber which I bought on Ali for 25USD (I bought both the buttefly and tang buckle version). I like the style too, although the Overseas bracelet is a masterpiece (in design).
Mine came neutral but I'm sure you can find them with the VC logos. Quality is nice, although a bit thin (and here also too short for big wrists). Doesn't attract dust, honestly a good deal. The buckle could be better, but it's fine.
I abandonned the idea to buy the rep strap from the factory, for TT asks more than 160 USD for it, which is just insane.
It fits perfectly my 47040, and they even send you small tube to ease inserting the strap.

I will eventually stay with the steel bracelet, which, again, will improve drastically once oiled and cleaned.

Last edited:

Aquanautilus

Renowned Member
23/9/16
Thank you @Pix for your pictures and effort taking them.
The watch looks indeed gorgeous, enjoy it.
Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Which color did you choose ?

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
These are great photos, thanks for sharing them. It seems that the dial patter is close/same as the gen (which wasn’t the case with MKS and JF in the past). It really looks very good (much better than the original photos with many flaws)

How does the malteze cross on the dial look like? Bevelled or flat?

It would be fantastic if any VC expert can benchmark it with the gen :)