• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
I did start with a brush in an older thread you're right then I discovered the flood fill technique. Whatever works for you! I do pull a very thin lint free cloth super tight and wipe very lightly as level as possible. Also switching to a clean section of cloth with a fresh alcohol soak after every single digit keeps the excess paint that gets on the cloth from building up to where it can actually dig into the next cutout.
Can you link your latest recommended paint pen for the KJ2020 Paint Mod™

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Reactions: Neon and aHero

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Thanks. Will order while I think about it. Looks great and even better, seems quick and easy. My only hesitation is I like to get my reps wet, and sounds like paint will wear off then.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks. Will order while I think about it. Looks great and even better, seems quick and easy. My only hesitation is I like to get my reps wet, and sounds like paint will wear off then.

I suggest trying the Molotow first and if you like it and it isn't durable enough for you, wash it off completely with ISO alchohol. Then you can try something stronger like a Sharpie. That's oil based so more durable but it doesn't dry as uniformly and can get slightly globby more easily. Also it can require something stronger to wipe off excess, like thinner or acetone. You can also use spray enamel like you saw in my The Hulktimate - GREEN goes GOLD! thread. At some point digging out the stock platinum fill may become desirable, that's something I do sometimes if paint isn't adhering well. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

ZQDTCo.jpg

ZQDPik.jpg

ZQD47S.jpg

ZQDwrW.jpg

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
I suggest trying the Molotow first and if you like it and it isn't durable enough for you, wash it off completely with ISO alchohol. Then you can try something stronger like a Sharpie. That's oil based so more durable but it doesn't dry as uniformly and can get slightly globby more easily. Also it can require something stronger to wipe off excess, like thinner or acetone. You can also use spray enamel like you saw in my The Hulktimate - GREEN goes GOLD! thread. At some point digging out the stock platinum fill may become desirable, that's something I do sometimes if paint isn't adhering well. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

ZQDTCo.jpg

ZQDPik.jpg

ZQD47S.jpg

ZQDwrW.jpg
True, doesn’t sound like it’s a big deal to try it at least. And if some wears off, I can just reapply as needed I guess.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17

I found this stuff - an even mix of silver and platinum - second to none in terms of refilling the bezel numbers. The colour I got was dead on vs gen, and it’s almost ‘glows’ in low light. It’s paint, so you need a deft hand vs a marker, but I found it very easy to do.

Edit - anyone got a link to the one on Ali? I went back a few pages but couldn’t see it. I’d like to upgrade my 2019 GMF…

Last edited:
Reactions: leo6929 and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

I found this stuff - an even mix of silver and platinum - second to none in terms of refilling the bezel numbers. The colour I got was dead on vs gen, and it’s almost ‘glows’ in low light. It’s paint, so you need a deft hand vs a marker, but I found it very easy to do.

Edit - anyone got a link to the one on Ali? I went back a few pages but couldn’t see it. I’d like to upgrade my 2019 GMF…
Very interesting bro, some really beautiful colors. Love to see some pics when you get a finished project and wondering about application techniques and cleanup of overspill, etc. Also curious about durability and longevity since it's water based. I might try an RG combo with some of the copper shades. Nice!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Very interesting bro, some really beautiful colors. Love to see some pics when you get a finished project and wondering about application techniques and cleanup of overspill, etc. Also curious about durability and longevity since it's water based. I might try an RG combo with some of the copper shades. Nice!
Ah, KJ, I can't compete with you for photographs - here is an attempt...

So as you know, the problem with GMF inserts is the numbers are not cut deep enough - so before doing anything, the paint thats in there needs to be dug out with the help of a needle and some alcohol. Even with all the existing paint removed, the numbers are still not deep enough. I wonder if the same shallow number problem is on the Ali insert - what do you think? Rep inserts seem to lack that deep cut, with the darker discolouration around the numbers - which I would say is not exactly attractive, but is present on gen.

I did this one during lockdown. I think I watered down the mix a little, and did it in 2 passes with a good few hours drying in between. Excess was removed with a razor blade - I didn't remove the insert from the bezel.

I see on their website that they now offer INK which must surely be better than the paint...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kup1712 and Neon

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ah, KJ, I can't compete with you for photographs - here is an attempt...

So as you know, the problem with GMF inserts is the numbers are not cut deep enough - so before doing anything, the paint thats in there needs to be dug out with the help of a needle and some alcohol. Even with all the existing paint removed, the numbers are still not deep enough. I wonder if the same shallow number problem is on the Ali insert - what do you think? Rep inserts seem to lack that deep cut, with the darker discolouration around the numbers - which I would say is not exactly attractive, but is present on gen.

I did this one during lockdown. I think I watered down the mix a little, and did it in 2 passes with a good few hours drying in between. Excess was removed with a razor blade - I didn't remove the insert from the bezel.

I see on their website that they now offer INK which must surely be better than the paint...

Oh hell yeah that's a very nice improvement. Another issue with those GMF inserts was the white line at 6 and sometimes 18. I even put some red enamel paint on one then pulled it all off with thinner except for a tiny bit remaining in the crevice. Arghh what we put ourselves through!

I think the Ali Pepsi insert has much deeper cutouts, plenty of room to add a nice fill. I would definitely go for it, everyone seems to love the colors. With a good paint mod it would be a significant upgrade.

Roberson offers ink now you say? Even more curious, thanks!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Made the switch. Thinned out the xing so it sits recessed. Glued in with slow cure epoxy. Movement is running gen balance and auto wind system. Looks pretty good I think.
Very nice! Is yours a V3 insert, not seeing any 1 8 color mismatch. Kudos on the gen parts upgrades.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Very nice! Is yours a V3 insert, not seeing any 1 8 color mismatch. Kudos on the gen parts upgrades.
It’s only noticeable in certain conditions. My v3 has this flaw and I’ve had it for months. Didn’t notice it until it was pointed out on v4 and happened to check my v3.

Reactions: KJ2020