• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I just did a paint mod on a CF Pepsi insert today. Takes like 5 minutes to flood fill the cutouts with Molotow Metallic Silver. Wait a few hours and about 5 minutes to wipe off the excess. It's not perfect but only uses about 50 cents of paint.

3sjSLP.jpg

3sjRik.jpg

3sjfCo.jpg

3sjEcD.jpg

3sjVyL.jpg

3sjFGJ.jpg

Maybe sad to say, but for uniformity of fill color, texture and smoothness I'll take it over a lot of other results I've seen lately. Molotow can last if you keep it clean and dry. I have some untouched for several years that are still intact. Might be a quick fix for some even if only til a real platinum mod can be arranged. Haven't heard much from or about @Spongebob lately but I have some of his work and it's unmatched.

RollyAP

Renowned Member
Certified
25/3/21
I just did a paint mod on a CF Pepsi insert today. Takes like 5 minutes to flood fill the cutouts with Molotow Metallic Silver. Wait a few hours and about 5 minutes to wipe off the excess. It's not perfect but only uses about 50 cents of paint.

3sjSLP.jpg

3sjRik.jpg

3sjfCo.jpg

3sjEcD.jpg

3sjVyL.jpg

3sjFGJ.jpg

Maybe sad to say, but for uniformity of fill color, texture and smoothness I'll take it over a lot of other results I've seen lately. Molotow can last if you keep it clean and dry. I have some untouched for several years that are still intact. Might be a quick fix for some even if only til a real platinum mod can be arranged. Haven't heard much from or about @Spongebob lately but I have some of his work and it's unmatched.

Do you find this mod too bright compared to gen?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Do you find this mod too bright compared to gen?

I do not, though tbh I like brighter markers than what most rep factories make. I greatly dislike how dim many rep markers look in low light conditions like at home in the evenings. It's not unusual for me to even paint mod an insert that hasn't faded appreciably from it's original state, just so it is more visible to me in those conditions. I suggest trying it on a cheap insert to see how it suits you.

RollyAP

Renowned Member
Certified
25/3/21
I do not, though tbh I like brighter markers than what most rep factories make. I greatly dislike how dim many rep markers look in low light conditions like at home in the evenings. It's not unusual for me to even paint mod an insert that hasn't faded appreciably from it's original state, just so it is more visible to me in those conditions. I suggest trying it on a cheap insert to see how it suits you.
Will give it a try on the CF bezel like you and put it side by side with the Xing to see how I'd like it. Thanks for the tip!

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
3Mbh7p.jpg

Sorry but vendors shouldn't send out products with flaws like the 1 8 color mismatch. No way is someone spending $170 on an insert going to be happy with that and neither solution is desirable. I wouldn't use it on any rep free, so a full refund and you keep the insert is appropriate. Exactly what I've done more than once with Ali Express products that had less egregious flaws.
No response from Patrick when I complained about it. (n)

Wonder what causes the 1 and 8 to catch the light so differently. 6 doesn’t have that in the middle of it. Trying to figure out the cause before I attempt a paint mod that might not fix it.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

Wonder what causes the 1 and 8 to catch the light so differently. 6 doesn’t have that in the middle of it. Trying to figure out the cause before I attempt a paint mod that might not fix it.

I would guess the plating or sputter coating reacts differently when applied over the blue vs red portions of the ceramic. Getting this solved should be a top priority to Xing as well as making the dang thing thinner so it sits recessed in the bezel ring.

Reactions: Neon and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

A paint mod will cover dissimilar surfaces in the same manner, there is no reaction like could be happening with platinum sputter coating. The graining of the surface inside the markers could be different in each color too, something paint will also hide.

Molotow is acrylic paint, so it is easily washed away completely with ISO alchohol which will not damage platinum fill. I've used other types of paint as well - enamel, oil based, lacquer, etc. But Molotow is fast, easy and durable if well cared for. I am confident you could try this and easily undo it if not happier with the result. @WatchSmith.US has tested the XING fill with acetone so alcohol isn't going to faze it.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Patrick responded to me: “I'm getting factory upgrades to fix them🥲

Reactions: Neon

Manuelito108

Getting To Know The Place
20/2/23
Italy
If you choose to do a paint mod, yes. What is really unacceptable is that a $170 insert needs one immediately.
Yes it s true but i think could be only way to have a good bezel. I thought was ok from qc pics but, ad you can look at, there are imperfections about 6 and 18.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yes it s true but i think could be only way to have a good bezel. I thought was ok from qc pics but, ad you can look at, there are imperfections about 6 and 18.

Yikes that looks terrible and not just at 6 and 18. I would say a paint mod is definitely in order. Wash it first with a soft brush and mild soap. You can do it with the insert installed, just flow a thin stream of rinse water away from the crystal and the crown for good measure.

Last edited: