KJ2020 paint mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KJ2020 paint mod

Has anyone done the molotow paint mod on the rxf insert? The numbers do seem to disappear at time on mine but I saw a few pics of gens that seemed to have the same issue. I’d like a brighter bezel but I’m also thinking if this is gen like then I don’t want to mess with it. Thank you all for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't done a paint mod on my RXF Sub yet bro. I probably will end up doing one. From what I've observed, the RXF insert markers do appear more dull in low light than the gen. I like the markers to be brighter and more visible in all lighting conditions and that is usually achieved on rep inserts only by doing a paint mod.

We are all related in time since time is relative to us all.
    GMT Movements Explained
    BP Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen
    Swap your CHS movement to ICHS - possible?
    The Fantasy Watch Thread
    Noob GMT's poor bezel design
    Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post
      I haven't done a paint mod on my RXF Sub yet bro. I probably will end up doing one. From what I've observed, the RXF insert markers do appear more dull in low light than the gen. I like the markers to be brighter and more visible in all lighting conditions and that is usually achieved on rep inserts only by doing a paint mod.

Thank you for all the information you provide bud! I tried googling low light gen bezels and it was slim pickings. Honestly didn’t know if that was gen like. I was going to message you directly bc after reading your initial post about the mod I discovered you also had a rxf. Thank you for answering. My paint marker will be here tomorrow so I’ll post some pics! Again thanks for all the information you provide here!

Comment

Originally posted by Doglover View Post

My paint marker will be here tomorrow so I’ll post some pics!

What paint marker will you be using?

Comment

Originally posted by shel504 View Post

What paint marker will you be using?
          The molotow 227 I believe is the color. If you search “molotow bezel mod rwi” on google it will bring you to kjs thread with exact numbers for color

Comment

apart from the bezel paint in low light, i just received my rxf and wow that cyclops man.. i just hope that the insert paint will not flake, does anyone know whether it is the clean factory insert since vsf is using clean?

Comment

Comment

Here are some links to paint mods. I've experimented with a bunch of different ways. If the insert is off the watch, I usually will do a spray paint mod. I've also used pilworx mod on metal bezels like explorers, it works well for me on those. Lately I've been using a Posca pen instead of the Molotow pen, it seems to dry more uniformly in the marker cutouts. Plus it can go directly onto the markers from pen. Molotow seems better when applied with a tiny brush, to keep it from getting clumpy. I've also used Laquer model paints from Mr Color for gold markers, those are good paints.

https://www.amazon.com/Posca-Acrylic...667547&sr=8-12

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...zing-procedure

Ceramic insert paint mod

My Molotow Cocktail
                Last edited by KJ2020; 11-12-20, 06:32.
                GMT Movements Explained
                The Fantasy Watch Thread
                Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Originally posted by nikefit View Post
                  apart from the bezel paint in low light, i just received my rxf and wow that cyclops man.. i just hope that the insert paint will not flake, does anyone know whether it is the clean factory insert since vsf is using clean?
                  they are using clean insert just on ther LV, the LN is their own insert

Comment

Originally posted by BiH855 View Post

they are using clean insert just on ther LV, the LN is their own insert
                    I see, thanks

Sent from my SM-N985F using Tapatalk

Comment

I Haven't done a paint mod for ages!

This is the best one I found by far - I found it better than model paint or that Anitas nonsense.

https://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/l...s-pearl-cream/

https://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/l...s-silver-3785/

A mix of these two is what you want. Thins down nicely with a drop of water.
                      Last edited by muiramas; 11-12-20, 11:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Doglover View Post
                        Has anyone done the molotow paint mod on the rxf insert? The numbers do seem to disappear at time on mine but I saw a few pics of gens that seemed to have the same issue. I’d like a brighter bezel but I’m also thinking if this is gen like then I don’t want to mess with it. Thank you all for any advice!
                        I'm thinking the same. It seems fairly typical of all sub reps seeing other low light photos (and even gen as you say). But difficult to compare as it varies so much depending on light. The RXF insert numbers really sparkle but they do sometimes seem a bit dim in low light (again, this might be typical with gen - I've not seen one in low light). In comparison a NOOB insert numbers are much more 'white' and doesn't quite have the metallic look the RXF does, but the digits are more visible in dim light.

I've been experimenting with the posca silver pen as suggested above. I'm applying it to the NOOB insert and first impressions are good. The colour really works - I thought it would be too silver when I saw it but the relatively thin font means it doesn't come across so vivid. One issue is that applying directly from the pen leads to quite uneven finish. Good news is that soap and water removed it in no time (only touch dry). Have ordered some detailing brushes and going to try again. Once I'm happy with the NOOB I'll decide whether to do the RXF.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_a34 View Post

I'm thinking the same. It seems fairly typical of all sub reps seeing other low light photos (and even gen as you say). But difficult to compare as it varies so much depending on light. The RXF insert numbers really sparkle but they do sometimes seem a bit dim in low light (again, this might be typical with gen - I've not seen one in low light). In comparison a NOOB insert numbers are much more 'white' and doesn't quite have the metallic look the RXF does, but the digits are more visible in dim light.

I've been experimenting with the posca silver pen as suggested above. I'm applying it to the NOOB insert and first impressions are good. The colour really works - I thought it would be too silver when I saw it but the relatively thin font means it doesn't come across so vivid. One issue is that applying directly from the pen leads to quite uneven finish. Good news is that soap and water removed it in no time (only touch dry). Have ordered some detailing brushes and going to try again. Once I'm happy with the NOOB I'll decide whether to do the RXF.
                          When applying the paint from the Posca pen, tap the dispenser tip into and around the marker cutout so the paint flows freely to fill the cutout and spillover some. Don't try to paint with the tip. Let the pool of paint dry completely, then I do an second coat. Let it sit overnight. Then I use an alcohol dampened Zeiss lens wipe pulled taut over a finger to swipe away the excess. Very easy mod that leaves paint perfectly smooth in the cutouts.

Wet

Dry

Wiped

GMT Movements Explained
                          The Fantasy Watch Thread
                          Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

This is really useful, thanks. First try was very much testing the water. I guess I was more 'painting' with the pen as this seemed the logical approach. I was going to go for a several thin coats approach next but you've convinced me to follow this approach - essentially a (couple of) thick 'flooded' coats? I suppose the key is how much to allow into the cutout, but luckily it is forgiving so I'll get a few goes if needed.
                            Last edited by ben_a34; 20-12-20, 00:35.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post

When applying the paint from the Posca pen, tap the dispenser tip into and around the marker cutout so the paint flows freely to fill the cutout and spillover some. Don't try to paint with the tip. Let the pool of paint dry completely, then I do an second coat. Let it sit overnight. Then I use an alcohol dampened Zeiss lens wipe pulled taut over a finger to swipe away the excess. Very easy mod that leaves paint perfectly smooth in the cutouts.

Wet

Dry

Wiped
                              Looks really good

Comment

Working...
                              X