Batman ceramic insert paint mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batman ceramic insert paint mod

I've posted these pics in various other threads before, but I'm posting them in a separate thread for ease of linking to when members ask.

A decent Batman insert is achievable. But making one out of an aftermarket is not really something a casual hobbyist is going to want to tinker with. Here's what he process entails. Note than some pics are of an all blue insert I did just recently.

Dig out the white paint from the markers. I use a jeweler's screwdriver sharpened to a needle point and held in a pin vise. The white paint has a clear coat over it and it will not come out using just chemicals - mineral spirits, acetone, thinner, etc. Nothing I've tried will budge it, even left for long hours.

Paint the whole insert with a good quality all in one primer and paint, metallic silver. Two or three light coats done all at once. I use Krylon 'Brilliant Aluminum'. It dries in about a minute to recoat. Let it dry for a few hours or overnight under a glass.

Scrape the paint off the insert flats with a straight razor. Ceramic is highly scratch resistant, but don't be overly aggressive with the blade. Use a low angle and be careful near the marker sidewalls.

The results will look a little rough under high magnification, but in normal viewing it looks great, just bright beautiful silver.

Reinstall the insert

Member Spongebob does a great platinum sputter coating for around $200 if you want something really professional. Spongebob supplies inserts at an extra charge, but he uses Noobs for the Batman and they have really bad speed bumps. So you need to send him an aftermarket or rep insert of your choosing without any speed bumps. He's in Taiwan, so the whole process can take 3-4 months if you send one to him.

Here's a pic of my Bluesy insert he did.

If you don't want to hassle with any of this, buy a GMF. The insert will be acceptable as is for many people. There is an updated GMF Batman insert out now.

GMF releases true clone 3186 GMTs

I would not plan on ever finding a gen Batman insert for sale. They are impossibly rare and would cost $2.5K -$3K. Additionally, dozens of people would beat you to it before you ever saw it for sale. I'm quite content with mine, which cost me about $50 and a few hours of my time.
    We are all related in time since time is relative to us all.
    GMT Movements Explained
    BP Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen
    Swap your CHS movement to ICHS - possible?
    The Fantasy Watch Thread
    Noob GMT's poor bezel design
    Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

THX!

Comment

wow nice, thanks for this info. this is excellent!

Comment

Thanks again KJ!! I am really hoping GMF sells only insert someday.

Any plans to commercialize your process of modding Batman insert and selling to us members

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post
          I've posted these pics in various other threads before, but I'm posting them in a separate thread for ease of linking to when members ask.
          https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...inum-paint-mod
          Just want to share my paint mod also.
          What do you think on the colour?

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfrank View Post

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...inum-paint-mod
            Just want to share my paint mod also.
            What do you think on the colour?
            The color looks pretty good bro. How long did you let it dry before scraping? Seeing a few particles in some cutouts - the 2 and 4 for example. Scraping too soon can let wet flakes drop into a cutout then dry there

I am going to do another one soon when there's a warm day. I have a different brand of paint with finer particles (metal flakes).

I've tried several different clear coats before and none bonded well. No doubt a pro auto painter with a quality spray gun could do something really great, this is just a quick hobbyist mod to rid the eyesore. I never touch my inserts though and have paint mods that still look good a year later.
            GMT Movements Explained
            The Fantasy Watch Thread
            Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Originally posted by srhoque View Post
              Thanks again KJ!! I am really hoping GMF sells only insert someday.

Any plans to commercialize your process of modding Batman insert and selling to us members
              Nah I have too much on my plate all the time bro! It's not hard to do - try one if you have a loose insert lying around.
              GMT Movements Explained
              The Fantasy Watch Thread
              Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post

The color looks pretty good bro. How long did you let it dry before scraping? Seeing a few particles in some cutouts - the 2 and 4 for example. Scraping too soon can let wet flakes drop into a cutout then dry there

I am going to do another one soon when there's a warm day. I have a different brand of paint with finer particles (metal flakes).

I've tried several different clear coats before and none bonded well. No doubt a pro auto painter with a quality spray gun could do something really great, this is just a quick hobbyist mod to rid the eyesore. I never touch my inserts though and have paint mods that still look good a year later.
                it is about 1 hour dry also I wiped the excess paint with thinner, so the excess paint solute that's why there is a flake in the cutout. i didint think about the easy way to remove with the razor. lol

The particle look coarse in some angle/light and i think the sureface in the cut out does not that smooth. (I didnt yet apply the clear coat)

Comment

Had the noob V9 insert lying arround
                  Had to give it a shot
                  Airbrushed with Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Flat aluminum is a good color. Show us the finished product!
                    GMT Movements Explained
                    The Fantasy Watch Thread
                    Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Left it drying overnight
                      Will post pics tomorrow when Im done scraping!

Comment

Originally posted by Vitor747 View Post
                        Left it drying overnight
                        Will post pics tomorrow when Im done scraping!

If it's acrylic it might come off just by rubbing a Q-tip across the flats. I pull half or more of the cotton off one to keep it denser, dip in alcohol, squeeze out excess so it's just damp and start swiping.
                        GMT Movements Explained
                        The Fantasy Watch Thread
                        Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Vitor747 View Post

Not bad bro. I know from doing these that it looks way better IRL than in pics. Our eyes don't pick up the slight color deviations in the metallic particles.
                            GMT Movements Explained
                            The Fantasy Watch Thread
                            Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

In order to make extra paint easy to remove after drying, make that area greasy. Best way to do it is just to “swipe” the insert with greasy finger. Paint from that area will fall off very easy. Just my cent

Comment

Working...
                              X