• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

PHutch

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/1/20
3M4q0j.png

That’s my Xing V4. Speedbumps are awful

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22

Xing v3 installed, Aliexpress loose.

The AE does have a portion on the top edge that shows some red that was not dyed blue. Not sure how much that will show once installed.

Reactions: Neon and leo6929

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
I've got a recent V4 from Xing and if there are speedbumps on it they aren't visible to my naked eye under close inspection. It also is nicely glossy to my eyes. I wouldn't feel the need to get it polished further.
If I didn’t have my CF bezel, I’d call the Xing glossy. But next to eachother, Xing is way less glossy. Night and day to me. I don’t have a gen, but assume the gen is glossy like CF.

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
3M4q0j.png

That’s my Xing V4. Speedbumps are awful
I don’t have any Xing speed bumps. Some QC issues with them. He really should be sending QC pics (said he’d send me and then didn’t, so I got lucky mine is good).

@PHutch I’d say yours is bad enough to warrant a return, should ask. I can see the 6 one with the thumbnail small.

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸

The AE does have a portion on the top edge that shows some red that was not dyed blue. Not sure how much that will show once installed.
Great photos, much appreciated. Definitely seem like the same inserts to me. Your Ali 6 has speed bumps and your Xing doesn’t though right? And that red is a little disheartening. I think will be visible installed.

Wonder why they bother to start with a red bezel if they’re not using 1 piece. Gluing two together anyways. Just to pass the UV test? Or actually they think that’s best way to match gen colors?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Great pics. If any of that red shows you can camouflage it with a blue/purple/black or combo Sharpie. How is the glossiness of the Ali insert?

Reactions: Neon

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Great pics. If any of that red shows you can camouflage it with a blue/purple/black or combo Sharpie. How is the glossiness of the Ali insert?
I was thinking the same thing. IRL, the glossiness (judged by the reflections) is the same between the two.

Another thing to note is that the transition between the red/blue is much cleaner on the Aliexpress version. Almost too sharp of a transition, IMO.

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Another thing to note is that the transition between the red/blue is much cleaner on the Aliexpress version. Almost too sharp of a transition, IMO.
oh wow, the Ali transition isn’t smooth at all. Didn’t notice that before. I was 100% Ali = Xing v3 but now I’m not sure. I’m really curious how they make these things.

domiffm

handsome
Gold Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Just received my V4 insert and I am very disappointed. The platinum layer in the numbers is very inconsistent. The numbers in the red area are partially different/brighter and reflects the lights different than those in the blue area. Look at the 18, the "1" is completely different from the "8". Also some chips around the edges although I don’t think they’ll be visible when installed. All these issues I don’t see on my V3 or even old Noob insert. IMO, overall quality does not justify the price of 170USD.

I have already seen it in the QC pics and pointed it out to Patrick - he said at the time that it was just light/shadow. Unfortunately this is not the whole truth.

I confronted Patrick about it. He apologised and offered me a partial refund. Or I send the insert back to China - then I’d get a full refund. Bummer. I won't send it back to China: risk that it won't arrive, it takes a long time, I have to pay the shipping costs myself. Absolutely inefficient.

You can't use the insert like that, but I’ll give it a try. Patrick showed me another insert in the chat which had exactly the same issue. So I suspect it is an issue with the current batch (pure speculation on my part) during the manufacturing process.

My point is not to blame Patrick. He is always friendly and very responsive. And he also offered me a solution with the partial refund. However, I would have expected more honesty before shipping and I am not 100% happy with this solution, but it is what it is.

This as a quick heads up for everyone ordering a xing insert. Carefully inspect your QC to prevent the same.

I will try to get one of these AliExpress inserts which looks quite promising.
IMG-4644.jpg

IMG-4648.jpg

IMG-4652.jpg

IMG-4656.jpg

IMG-4661.jpg

IMG-4662.jpg

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Tried to take some photos in various lighting of my Xing v4 to show that in some situations the difference between the 1 and 8 is more obvious in certain lighting conditions and less so in others

I have the same issue on mine and a few others mentioned it, so it’s probably all v4. Pretty odd. Wonder what would cause that.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
3Mbh7p.jpg

Sorry but vendors shouldn't send out products with flaws like the 1 8 color mismatch. No way is someone spending $170 on an insert going to be happy with that and neither solution is desirable. I wouldn't use it on any rep free, so a full refund and you keep the insert is appropriate. Exactly what I've done more than once with Ali Express products that had less egregious flaws.

Last edited:

domiffm

handsome
Gold Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
3Mbh7p.jpg

Sorry but vendors shouldn't send out products with flaws like the 1 8 color mismatch. No way is someone spending $170 on an insert going to be happy with that and neither solution is desirable. I wouldn't use it on any rep free, so a full refund and you keep the insert is appropriate. Exactly what I've done more than once with Ali Express products that had less egregious flaws.
Totally agree. I’m still waiting for @xingpatrick to come back to me on the final amount for refund. As already discussed in the chat between him and me yesterday I expressed my dissatisfaction about a partial refund. Let’s see.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020