• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You can do gold paint mods too. Just finished a couple, this one will get installed today. Sorry I get carried away, haha.

3sWDGL.jpg

3sUgpQ.jpg

3sUcaS.jpg

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
If you choose to do a paint mod, yes. What is really unacceptable is that a $170 insert needs one immediately.

KJ: What's your opinion of the stock Clean BLRO insert? I think they look pretty darn good but I'm not up on all the color nuances and variations. Reading the forums it sounds like a total disaster but I'm not seeing it. I do, however, like the desaturated color variation of the Xing.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ: What's your opinion of the stock Clean BLRO insert? I think they look pretty darn good but I'm not up on all the color nuances and variations. Reading the forums it sounds like a total disaster but I'm not seeing it. I do, however, like the desaturated color variation of the Xing.

It's all relative and personal bro. I've had pretty much every rep aluminum and ceramic Pepsi insert variation available so there are plenty of ones far worse than the CLEAN. Lots of folks see brown in the CLEAN but after holding a half dozen or so Noob BLRO Pepsi's, CLEAN shows no brown to my eyes.

I have several CLEAN Pepsi inserts and like them fine. But I'm not one to chase after perfection for a rep and am more satisfied with just decent looking than some others. I try to make what I have look as good as possible and be happy with it. Nothing wrong with upgrading parts, that's a huge part of this hobby. I just try to find ways to make do with modded stock if I can.

CLEAN BLRO insert is OK for me. Not quite as pretty as my ROF, but it doesn't get worn any less.

ROF
16481473659430.jpg

CLEAN
16402909450820.jpg

Noob
15831388006062.jpg

danitar

Getting To Know The Place
24/11/21
salerno, italy
good evening guys, I believe that the pepsi "xing" insert is currently the best insert but to do a painstaking job you should refine the thickness a little because it is thicker than the clean insert and gen

Reactions: Neon

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
It's all relative and personal bro. I've had pretty much every rep aluminum and ceramic Pepsi insert variation available so there are plenty of ones far worse than the CLEAN. Lots of folks see brown in the CLEAN but after holding a half dozen or so Noob BLRO Pepsi's, CLEAN shows no brown to my eyes.
I definitely prefer the ROF colors by far, but don’t think they’re gen-like at all. (Wouldn’t stop me from wearing it). Aluminum insert colors rock, I just really like how glossy ceramic looks.

I agree clean red isn’t brown like Noob, but too orange and dark in anything but bright light to me. I luckily have no speed bumps on Xing, but despite its flaws (thickness and halves sometimes catching light differently), the red is such a huge improvement for me, it wins hands down. Can’t go back to stock CF insert. The incorrect red of clean is noticeable from a distance to me and the other flaws aren’t. It’s closest to gen for me, so gets the win.

I get it’s all personal choice. Hope we get something perfect soon though!

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Yikes that looks terrible and not just at 6 and 18. I would say a paint mod is definitely in order. Wash it first with a soft brush and mild soap. You can do it with the insert installed, just flow a thin stream of rinse water away from the crystal and the crown for good measure.
I can do the whole paint mod without insert/bezel installed? Prefer not to take the bezel off again out of fear of ruining the clickspring or something.

You can do gold paint mods too. Just finished a couple, this one will get installed today. Sorry I get carried away, haha.

3sWDGL.jpg

3sUgpQ.jpg

3sUcaS.jpg
This rocks like your gold hulk. Where did the green gmt insert come from?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I can do the whole paint mod without insert/bezel installed? Prefer not to take the bezel off again out of fear of ruining the clickspring or something.

You can paint mod with the insert on or off. It requires a little more care doing it with the insert installed. So I recommend practicing on another insert first, even a few times if necessary. Especially wiping off excess can drag paint into crevices between the insert and the crystal or insert and bezel. It can be scavenged out with a toothpick behind a cloth but better to not let it happen. When wiping, use an alcohol dampened thin lint free cloth and rotate it after every digit to a clean section with fresh alcohol soak. Keep the cloth taut on your finger to keep it from dipping down into the cutouts. Take extra care around the triangle - swipe alongside it only, not overtop the entire cutout. A fingernail behind the cloth is especially useful to get exactly to the edges.

This rocks like your gold hulk. Where did the green gmt insert come from?

Insert came from Ali Express, it had white markers. I have a few of them, finally got one with a nice shade of green. Only one worth using. They are quite inexpensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Thank you @KJ2020. That ROF has quite nice coloring. Can I assume you did a paint mod to it?

Manuelito108

Getting To Know The Place
20/2/23
Italy
Tried to do the paint mod tonight. Not perfect but much better than the shitty V4 platinum paint. No more different reflections on the 1 8
IMG-4682.jpg
Good job! Painted with silver metallic marker? All bezel painted and then paint removed with cutter?

Reactions: domiffm

domiffm

handsome
Gold Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Good job! Painted with silver metallic marker? All bezel painted and then paint removed with cutter?
Just like @KJ2020 recommended. Molotow pen paint. Applied with a brush, very thin and even layer. Allow to dry and then apply a little alcohol to a microfibre cloth, stretch it on the index finger and slowly go over the insert and remove the excess paint.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Tried to do the paint mod tonight. Not perfect but much better than the shitty V4 platinum paint. No more different reflections on the 1 8
IMG-4682.jpg

Bro you can just flood fill the whole cutout with paint right from the pen. It shrinks up and dries very evenly that way. This pic shows it pretty well. Look on the left side.

j92VkP.jpg

You can go right overtop yours with a second coat and make all the numbers better. Also if you did want to start over on one number, it can be washed out individually if done carefully.

Now that you see how it goes, it will be even easier to get close to perfection. It looks so much better than it did!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Neon and domiffm

domiffm

handsome
Gold Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Bro you can just flood fill the whole cutout with paint right from the pen. It shrinks up and dries very evenly that way. This pic shows it pretty well. Look on the left side.

j92VkP.jpg

You can go right overtop yours with a second coat and make all the numbers better. Also if you did want to start over on one number, it can be washed out individually if done carefully.

Now that you see how it goes, it will be even easier to get close to perfection. It looks so much better than it did!
I thought I had read somewhere here that you recommended a brush. Maybe it was in another, older thread. Anyway: I first tried it with the pen directly and also filled the engravings. But when I wiped off the excess paint, it always became uneven. With the brush, however, it worked very well. I think it gives you much more control and you can apply very thin, even layers.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I thought I had read somewhere here that you recommended a brush. Maybe it was in another, older thread. Anyway: I first tried it with the pen directly and also filled the engravings. But when I wiped off the excess paint, it always became uneven. With the brush, however, it worked very well. I think it gives you much more control and you can apply very thin, even layers.
I did start with a brush in an older thread you're right then I discovered the flood fill technique. Whatever works for you! I do pull a very thin lint free cloth super tight and wipe very lightly as level as possible. Also switching to a clean section of cloth with a fresh alcohol soak after every single digit keeps the excess paint that gets on the cloth from building up to where it can actually dig into the next cutout.

Reactions: domiffm and Neon