• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Very satisfied with my xing insert. It gets a lot of wrist time and looks great with a blue rubber strap IMO.
3v5nT4.jpg

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
@KJ2020 - attempted some practice paint mod with the pen you suggested. Is there anyway to avoid the small bubbles from forming when drying? The color looks pretty spot on but the lack of flat/consistent finish with the paint mod is what i'm concerned about. I had it dry under glass so no dust would get to it. 2nd coat? Flood it and then take a needle to go through the numbers to get any bubbles out of the paint?

Kind of stuck between deciding if you accept the speedbumps and discolration 1 and 8, or paint mod and get a consistent color but smaller paint defects...

Anyone got their Ali bezel in yet for comparison?

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
@KJ2020 - attempted some practice paint mod with the pen you suggested. Is there anyway to avoid the small bubbles from forming when drying? The color looks pretty spot on but the lack of flat/consistent finish with the paint mod is what i'm concerned about. I had it dry under glass so no dust would get to it. 2nd coat? Flood it and then take a needle to go through the numbers to get any bubbles out of the paint?

Kind of stuck between deciding if you accept the speedbumps and discolration 1 and 8, or paint mod and get a consistent color but smaller paint defects...

I’ve posted my Ali insert a couple times in this thread already…

I also performed the paint mod. No such bubbles in mine. I put it in the air fryer to dry lol.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Never had that happen before. I would suggest a complete removal with ISO alcohol and thoroughly clean each cutout with the alcohol afterward. It's possible the flow from your pen is introducing the bubbles.

I start my flow on a thick plastic board and I have seen bubbles in the paint when I actuate the plunger tip rapidly against the plastic to start the flow. Once the paint is flowing, I dispense it onto the ceramic surrounding the markers and let it flow into the cutouts without putting the tip into them. The flow normally is continuous enough to last for all the markers. If not I go back to the plastic board to refresh it.

Try it that way and see how it goes. If you still have this issue you can try it with an artist's brush. A medium thickness good quality one is best. Dispense the paint on a plastic board, soak it up into the brush and flood the markers that way. If you see a bubble you can smooth it out while it's still wet but it shouldn't happen.

Explorrertime

Getting To Know The Place
11/3/22
NL
I just receive the pepsi bezel from AE. Not sure what to think. Quality look pretty good, minor speed bumps, platinum numbers are slightly too bright, colors look still a bit off and the biggest problem is they are really dull. On camera it look's close to gen, but in real life they just don't. It would probably be much better if the gloss was the same like on CF. Anyone tried to polish the bezel themselves and got any good results?

Explorrertime

11/3/22
NL
I just receive the pepsi bezel from AE. Not sure what to think. Quality look pretty good, minor speed bumps, platinum numbers are slightly too bright, colors look still a bit off and the biggest problem is they are really dull. On camera it look's close to gen, but in real life they just don't. It would probably be much better if the gloss was the same like on CF. Anyone tried to polish the bezel themselves and got any good results?
I'd color adjusted the bottom photo so it matches how it appears in real life, opposite on how it looks on camera.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
The numbers are too bright on your AE? They are very dull on mine compare to Xing. And no speed bumps on my AE at all. My Xing v3 and v4 both have speed bumps.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
I've not seen one in hand that needed polishing either but I did notice these XING inserts look a little dull in pics.

I haven't tried the blue and yellow abrasive wheels, I'll have a look, thanks.

So I polished a couple of cracked inserts (I almost never throw anything away, haha) and here's what I found.

Both inserts have mirror finish top sides so were unaffected by the polishing but neither were the markers disturbed with the wheel I used.

The undersides were a coarser texture, so this type of polishing isn't going to smooth that down on ceramic. However there was quite an improvement in base shininess in just a very few minutes so I would definitely try this if I wanted a glossier top surface. The improvement should be greater on a smooth surface.

3TApxJ.jpg

3TAQIk.jpg

3TAldo.jpg

Just be careful around the triangle but these cutouts are not deep and I didn't disturb it at all.
3TABjD.jpg

Top pics show polished area, bottom pics show unpolished. The green insert showed a little less improvement but it has a coarser finish.
3TAruY.jpg

3TA8ns.jpg

Of course practice on a junk insert first, and don't clean with an ultrasound, it can loosen and displace marker fill. Ask me how I know, heh.

@JustFou
What compound did you use?

Explorrertime

11/3/22
NL
The numbers are too bright on your AE? They are very dull on mine compare to Xing. And no speed bumps on my AE at all. My Xing v3 and v4 both have speed bumps.
Hmm dunno, I compare to gen not Xing. Speedbumps are minimal, but you can see them depending of lighting. See my pictures below my description.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Hmm dunno, I compare to gen not Xing. Speedbumps are minimal, but you can see them depending of lighting. See my pictures below my description.
I know pictures aren't perfect representations of reality but your platinum plating (if it is platinum?) is much brighter than mine and I have two of these AE inserts. Maybe these vary by batch as well.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What compound did you use?
Polinum is the best compound I've used on all jewelry parts to get an absolutely flawless mirror finish. It's awesome for bracelets and cases, etc. I final sand with very fine grit paper - not micro fine, but like 7000. At that point without a loupe you could almost think it had already been buffed. Then the Polinum does its magic.

lPj0K.jpg

lPZP8.jpg

lPHt1.jpg

I've not ever polished the topside of a dull insert because I've never had one but my tests with Polinum on the underside bode well for an attempt. You just need to be consistent all the way around as Polinum works gradually on ceramic so time spent in every spot needs to be the same.

On the plus side, there should be a level of glossiness beyond which further polishing has no more effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: greenbeans and Neon

Explorrertime

11/3/22
NL
I know pictures aren't perfect representations of reality but your platinum plating (if it is platinum?) is much brighter than mine and I have two of these AE inserts. Maybe these vary by batch as well.
Unfortunately they probably do indeed.

Reactions: Neon

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Some paint pen comparisons for you guys considering this option. I would say the Moloto is closest to the sheen and flatness of the stock CF plating. The Posca is too glitery. Hope this helps!

Appreciated. Were they equally easy to apply? You flooded?

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Posted my full build details here w/notes on shaving down xing, etc: https://forum.replica-watch.info/th...-video-release-finally.10939641/post-11306548

I ended up not painting mine... well I did but wasn't happy with how it was drying and removed the paint and have kept it stock infill for now. I will say that I think the 1-8 flaw is frankly unacceptable at this price. It's got to be due to the 1 being milled out at a different angle from the 8 so the base of the material that then gets plated is orientated differently and thus is catching the light different. It's also too thick.

But it is the best color bezel I think that's available currently so it is what it is for the moment.

For the premium they are charging I hope they can rectify these issues on the V5 which almost certainly will show up sooner or later.

Hope my build notes helps someone!

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
Posted my full build details here w/notes on shaving down xing, etc: https://forum.replica-watch.info/th...-video-release-finally.10939641/post-11306548

I ended up not painting mine... well I did but wasn't happy with how it was drying and removed the paint and have kept it stock infill for now. I will say that I think the 1-8 flaw is frankly unacceptable at this price. It's got to be due to the 1 being milled out at a different angle from the 8 so the base of the material that then gets plated is orientated differently and thus is catching the light different. It's also too thick.

But it is the best color bezel I think that's available currently so it is what it is for the moment.

For the premium they are charging I hope they can rectify these issues on the V5 which almost certainly will show up sooner or later.

Hope my build notes helps someone!

Great info, pics, and post. Agree with all your points. The best colors, which overcomes the other flaws. But also those other flaws are absurd at this (or any) price. I didn’t sand mine, as don’t think the thickness is noticeable.

Surprised you did new infill and removed it though. Worth noting the 1-8 flaw isn’t present in your pics. Not sure if it’s noticeable on the wrist or when not looking for it since it’s not all angles/lightings. But I’d like to try Molotov’ing it myself.

Reactions: geoffdragon