• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
This week. But not last week, right?
He just posted this:

I'm having some issues with my phone and it will be fixed tomorrow. Sorry, no professionals are available to fix it for me due to the Labor Day holiday. I will process the order as soon as possible

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I‘ve seen many dozens of ceramic inserts but don’t recall ever seeing one that needed polishing. They’ve all had mirror-like finishes. Maybe there’s some bad ones I haven’t seen.
That Polinum sounds really good. I’ll grab some with my next order. Thanks for the tip!
Have you ever tried the blue and yellow abrasive wheels? Insanely great shapers and polishers but very small so they have to be used carefully and are probably not a good choice for larger surfaces.
I've not seen one in hand that needed polishing either but I did notice these XING inserts look a little dull in pics.

I haven't tried the blue and yellow abrasive wheels, I'll have a look, thanks.

So I polished a couple of cracked inserts (I almost never throw anything away, haha) and here's what I found.

Both inserts have mirror finish top sides so were unaffected by the polishing but neither were the markers disturbed with the wheel I used.

The undersides were a coarser texture, so this type of polishing isn't going to smooth that down on ceramic. However there was quite an improvement in base shininess in just a very few minutes so I would definitely try this if I wanted a glossier top surface. The improvement should be greater on a smooth surface.

3TApxJ.jpg

3TAQIk.jpg

3TAldo.jpg

Just be careful around the triangle but these cutouts are not deep and I didn't disturb it at all.
3TABjD.jpg

Top pics show polished area, bottom pics show unpolished. The green insert showed a little less improvement but it has a coarser finish.
3TAruY.jpg

3TA8ns.jpg

Of course practice on a junk insert first, and don't clean with an ultrasound, it can loosen and displace marker fill. Ask me how I know, heh.

Polinum is the best compound I've used on all jewelry parts to get an absolutely flawless mirror finish. It's awesome for bracelets and cases, etc. I final sand with very fine grit paper - not micro fine, but like 7000. At that point without a loupe you could almost think it had already been buffed. Then the Polinum does its magic.

lPj0K.jpg

lPZP8.jpg

lPHt1.jpg

I've not ever polished the topside of a dull insert because I've never had one but my tests with Polinum on the underside bode well for an attempt. You just need to be consistent all the way around as Polinum works gradually on ceramic so time spent in every spot needs to be the same.

On the plus side, there should be a level of glossiness beyond which further polishing has no more effect.

@JustFou

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
He just posted this:

I'm having some issues with my phone and it will be fixed tomorrow. Sorry, no professionals are available to fix it for me due to the Labor Day holiday. I will process the order as soon as possible

Upon close examination and comparisons with a Clean pepsi insert under my microscope, I can see a slight difference in the polish between Xing and Clean, and the Clean insert is slightly glossier. I would have never noticed this if the discussion hadn't come up, but there is a difference.

I might also suggest that a slightly less glossier finish might enhance the desaturated colors of Xing's insert. I believe some Tutor aluminum inserts are satin finished which makes the colorings look different that on highly polished metal. Something to think about, but I don't see Xing's polish as being inferior at all. Just different.

Reactions: Neon and KJ2020

purplehaze89

Known Member
18/9/21
He just posted this:

Having the same issues. Did he ever update you?

DurbanPoison

Supporter
Certified
28/3/23
rolex factory
messaged Patrick here on forums 2 days back no response.

WhatsApp messaged him since last Thursday no response or updates on my shipment or QC. Almost a week already and I made payment.

EDIT: 2 days back

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
messaged Patrick here on forums 1 day back no response.

WhatsApp messaged him since last Thursday no response or updates on my shipment or QC. Almost a week already and I made payment.
Won’t reply to PMs. WhatsApp only. As already mentioned, he had an issue with his phone. I’ve purchased from him several times and he always delivers. In fact, my last order from him arrived to me in the US in 6 days from China once shipped.

DurbanPoison

Supporter
Certified
28/3/23
rolex factory
Won’t reply to PMs. WhatsApp only. As already mentioned, he had an issue with his phone. I’ve purchased from him several times and he always delivers. In fact, my last order from him arrived to me in the US in 6 days from China once shipped.
He replied to my PMs when I’m asking to send him money. Now I’m just asking for updates. And since he knows that his phone has issues, all the more he should check RWI.

Anyway I have already made a ticket regarding this issue. @tt88 advised me to do so if he doesn’t reply me after 1 day, it’s been 2 days.

Reactions: Neon

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Many people operate from their phone only.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Posted May 2. I’m sure he’s just catching up.

unicornpad

Known Member
1/1/15
Mate, you guys got to understand the labour holidays is a big deal in China. Companies and individuals take breaks for up to 5 days. Give it to them and relax

Reactions: aHero

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
I just received my insert and I see nothing wrong with it, quite shiny and with a nice MK1 vibe :)

Neon

23/10/12
🇺🇸
I just received my insert and I see nothing wrong with it, quite shiny and with a nice MK1 vibe :)

3TGDv3.jpg

Awesome. MK1 is my favorite variant. Patrick sent me a pic and looked shinier than others I've seen so was excited.

How's the fill coloring in the 6 and (1)8? Any speed bump at the transition?

Reactions: diamonds