• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Hulktimate - Green goes Gold!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Greetings fellow watchaholics! A gold Hulk has been on my mind for a LONG time now and since neither Rolex nor the rep factories have come out with one that I like, I took the plunge and just made my own. VRF has one that comes close, but the dial says WATCHVICE on it and that’s a deal breaker for me.

https://chazingtime08.co/products/su...elet-a2836-max

On the surface, this should be an easy project - just start with a FG blue or black Sub rep, swap in a paint modded Hulk insert and switch over some hands and dial markers onto a Hulk dial. Of course like most rep projects you often run into some challenges that make a project more interesting to put it nicely.

The Insert
I used a VRF Hulk insert, long the king of Hulk inserts until CF came along. It’s still a very good option at a much more reasonable price and I had one in my parts drawer forever so away we went. I probably did 5 or 6 paint mods on this before finally being satisfied with the result. I had 4 different colors of pens, 2 different hand paints, and 2 different spray paints.

ZReamv.jpg

In the end the Rustoleum Metallic Gold spray won out. It’s not as sunflower yellow like the gen color can appear but more of a pale gold that I felt went better with the case and bracelet. Plus it’s brighter so it looks better in low light conditions, something even many rep factory insert markers don’t succeed at doing.

Zs2kE1.jpg

Zs2drv.jpg

Zs27mX.jpg

Zs24Hj.jpg

Zs2XeK.jpg

Zs2x4E.jpg

Good so far

Z4iUuv.jpg

Then you need to glue the pearl back on. I ordered a few cheaper gold inserts to scavenge a pearl from, nothing fancy just decent and gold. I use BSI epoxy for this. I tape the pearl in position from the front and apply the glue from the back. But I let it cure right side up because some can leak though to the triangle if you aren’t careful.

Zs6yZS.jpg

The Dial
I narrowed the choice down to two dials. One needed to be shaved in diameter to fit the case, the other would need new feet. The way I do feet is actually more work than shaving a dial but a lot less risky so that’s the dial I picked. It’s a Noob V8 or V9 3135 dial, these have a nice green color and decent color range so off we go.

Remove the dial feet and sand off the stumps (file photo)

ZRUXik.jpg

I put a half piece of a dial dot on opposite sides of the movement to keep the dial spacer in position when doing feet or datewheel work. You can actually glue dials right to the spacer and anchor the spacer to the movement this way if you want. I prefer to re-glue new feet.

ZR5Z9X.jpg

Select new feet and ensure they will anchor properly

ZR5jsi.jpg

Next, I grind and sand the inner half of the dial feet off to keep them from interfering with the datewheel overlay. It doesn’t look like they would touch in the last pic, but that foot base is going to eventually sit lower as you will see.

ZRewok.jpg

ZRekDD.jpg

I then run the modified feet through the cleaner

ZReXMY.jpg

ZReT1s.jpg

If you have an old GMT hour wheel (or similar) it’s the perfect spacer to keep your dial centered while the feet are being glued.

ZReM0J.jpg

ZRevBW.jpg

ZReu5P.jpg

ZReSqK.jpg

Next mix up some JBWeld epoxy. I like it better than BSI for this task as it is less runny. Note that the JBWeld label specifically says not to use alcohol to clean your parts prior to gluing so don’t!

ZReiP1.jpg

ZRet0t.jpg

Place the dial, make sure it is centered and line up the stem on the notch or the 15 minute tic mark

ZReGD8.jpg

ZReUgK.jpg

I like to weight down the dial while the epoxy cures, so I place a dial protector, a die, and an old DSSD case on top.

ZReR9L.jpg

ZRe7NS.jpg

ZReOEc.jpg

With this choice of weight, you can check on your centering and nudge the dial a little if needed while it’s still weighted down.

ZReqe4.jpg

After a full 24 hours, the feet are nice and strong

ZReeyR.jpg

ZReLHL.jpg

Next we need to notch the dial spacer so the feet bases and the glue bulge don’t cause the dial to sit above the spacer.

ZReltE.jpg

ZRe94b.jpg

ZReyHX.jpg

Now the dial sits flush on the spacer again

ZRengp.jpg

The Markers
First we have to remove the old silver markers

Scrape away the glue and push the pins out with a needle or a blunt toothpick for larger pins (file photos)

SCnyK.jpg

SCtmj.jpg

Save the markers for re-use on the dial the gold markers come from

ZRepNn.jpg

Sometimes you get lucky and the new marker pins are smaller than the new dial holes so you can just start gluing. That was not the case with this project, the new dial holes were smaller than the new marker pins. You can either drill the dial holes bigger or grind off the marker pins. I don’t mind drilling the dial holes, it’s pretty easy with a big guide hole, you are just enlarging them a little. So I started doing that but the first one I did I noticed afterward that the original hole wasn’t perfectly centered at 25 so my enlargement wasn’t either. I saw that the 20 was off too, so time for plan B.

ZRe8o5.jpg

ZRerPF.jpg

ZRePK3.jpg

ZReQ52.jpg

The 12, 6, and 9 markers were always going to have the pins ground down, looks like the rest of them need the same treatment

ZRUpYs.jpg

ZRUCwY.jpg

After filing or grinding, the markers can be dragged across sandpaper using tape to sand them smooth

ZRUPcD.jpg

ZRUl33.jpg

ZReJUj.jpg

ZR5DKc.jpg

ZR53Db.jpg

ZRecRI.jpg

ZReVB4.jpg

And finally the new markers can be glued on. I use BSI epoxy for this. It takes only a tiny bit. On large holes you can "plunge" your glue laden application tool (an old oiler) in the space to leave a glue rim about 1 -1.5mm around the hole.

ZRe3SP.jpg

ZRezCJ.jpg

ZReKeW.jpg

ZRe2EQ.jpg

Then we just need to put it all back together

The crystal is a Clark's with AR cyclops, one of my fav's. The host watch is a BP.

ZkUYW8.jpg

ZNO0K1.jpg

ZRehrS.jpg

ZRe11i.jpg

ZReNKQ.jpg

Gen Swiss 2836 movement

ZReItI.jpg

Bracelet clasp and two links either side have protective film

ZRefMR.jpg

And voila, a gold Hulk, yay!

ZRaDhW.jpg

ZRe4To.jpg

ZRe548.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

cjt202020

Renowned Member
Supporter
3/2/14
Looks great - is there a way to recolour the dial print gold?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
KJ2020 What a fantastic post! A brilliant step-by-step guide, with amazing clear instructions, absolutely superb how-to tips, and a really stunning end product. Bravo sir, wear it in good health!

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
A work of art, just wow KJ2020
Thanks for sharing the step by step.

Reactions: KJ2020

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
This is why you are who you are,
Amazing build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Excellent tutorial with detailed "how to steps" and perfect photos. What a great build. Thanks for sharing!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Looks great - is there a way to recolour the dial print gold?

At first I thought this might be an issue but the LN has white text now and it looks fine.

15814638621880.jpg

The new release blue Sub dials, both 126613LB and 126618LB now come with white text too. So if Rolex ever does make a gold Hulk, it's a safe bet the dial would have the same white text. Can you imagine the cost of one of these though? About $37K USD retail, probably double to get your hands on one, geez.

ZRnvQQ.jpg

You could get a dial custom made from a blank plate if you wanted gold text. That's at least $250 from Helenarou, more if done in the US. And you have no control over the shade of gold or green. Plus with a sunburst dial, many aftermarket dials just don't have that well recognized Hulk attractiveness.

Ken at Raffles dials offers one with gold text but there's really no comparison. Other rep dials I looked at were similarly disappointing for various reasons.

Last edited:

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Wow, KJ!! I can’t eeeven tell you how excited I am to read this later on tonight!! Thank you. Thank you.