• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Little Steps

xray7

Amateur Rhetoric Wrangler
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Hey Dave,
I was out to lunch with the better half and your posts gave me an idea... how about a new thread callled ' My View and Watch' I love seeing where you live and where I live is awesome to, this is a crap photo as there was someone sitting directly behind me so it was awkward taking the shot, but you get the idea... more to follow! ...

IMG-4723.jpg
Yeah, I think that's a good idea, @C Master whadda you think ? .............
This needs its own dedicated thread.

Reactions: Dave2302

xray7

Amateur Rhetoric Wrangler
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
I just bought 3 watches, spares or repairs, £30 each to get some much needed practice / honing of my watchmaking skills.

#1 a TAG Heuer Carrera, already here and in bitties atm, kinda pending on me going out and getting Araldite Epoxy atm
:ROFLMAO:

#'s 2 & 3 an AP RO Jumbo and an Omega Small Seconds, might get here today.
Mate, what tools have you bought from where? I’ve picked up a couple of bits from Cousins, most of the way through getting the parts I want to assemble, but only just getting together the tools I need to do it.

@Jackster I think I recall reading you used to tear movements down for giggles, any winner or loser tools in your bag of tricks you could recommend or away from which you might steer us?

Reactions: Dave2302

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Hey Dave,
I was out to lunch with the better half and your posts gave me an idea... how about a new thread callled ' My View and Watch' I love seeing where you live and where I live is awesome to, this is a crap photo as there was someone sitting directly behind me so it was awkward taking the shot, but you get the idea... more to follow! ...

IMG-4723.jpg

Yeah, I think that's a good idea, @C Master whadda you think ? .............
Yep public forum so if you guys want to run with a thread to see if it gets traction I have no objection and of course if your wives do not mind. My wife has no time for watches so would have no interest in participating. She has a watch she picked up in Bangkok for $10 that I have fixed multiple times. That is her goto even though she has some lovely antiques and two Omegas that I stupidly bought her thinking she just might get it lol.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
This needs its own dedicated thread.

I'll go for a drive up Carr brae later and start one then (y)

Mate, what tools have you bought from where?

I started by buying tools as I needed them.

Mostly EBay stuff so far, as I break things, (which is mostly just tiny screwdrivers), I buy better quality.

I started with just a cheap general tool set in a wallet, then I bought a few different Case Opener tools. Spring Bar picks. Puffer. Screwdrivers, Bezel extractor, Bezel / Crystal press, Hands extractor, Hands press, Weishi Timegrapher, Movement holders etc etc

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
I might start the Watches / Scenery thread tomorrow since I'm still having a helluva job posting anything with that bloody Turkish twunts efforts to overload the forum traffic ...............

I'd love to get my hands around his throat, but I've a feeling the queue will be a long one :mad:

Reactions: Jackster

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Well, that's 2 of the 3 project watches completely finished and ready for ma cabinet :)
All 3 have had wrist time and been working flawlessly for around 48 hours since Friday.

The TAG Heuer Carrera is now waiting on a new second hand as it's bore was damaged beyond redemption, so for now it is fully assembled and just waiting for round 2 of work, which will also include adjustment of minute / hour hand synch lol ;)

Final bit of the update is I bought a G Shock, planning on building a CasiOak for a bit of fun :ROFLMAO:

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
All I can say is WOW !!

This Panerai Submersible is a big bad bugger chunky monkey with a really nice heavy weight, I love watches like this, it wears really comfortably on my wrist.

@RepPossessed really excelled even more than usual with this bad boy, cheers my friend, well happy (y)

Reactions: C Master

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
New purchase winging it's way from Europe ..........

AP Royal Oak Offshore Chrono, 44mm. As new barely worn, has a missing caseback screw, which is common on these (I always check 'em now as they are often loose straight outta the factory).
A damn good bargain in M2M so it was, pulled the trigger earlier tonight, tracking number sent already (y)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: flashu and C Master

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Patron
Certified
5/2/22
EU
I think you will manage to replace the screw maybe take one from your car service center 😁

How many are in now ?

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Currently working with 9 watches per shelf, 5 shelves so that gives two spaces left, in this picture there are 2 watches MIA in the workshop, and when the AP ROO above arrives that equates to 2 more to buy.

Then there will be three or 4 to upgrade by selling or gifting and replacing with something else, i.e the Pepsi Meteorite GMT needs upgrading to full working correct hand stack version, i.e. upgrade to the exact same version and movement as my fully working Batgirl which may mean buying a regular Black dial Pepsi and swapping the Dials, not sure yet.

It is possible to get 10 watches per shelf, but I need to trial that, on just one shelf for a while. My arthritic sossidge fingers might find the gaps a bit tight getting watches in and out, at 9 per shelf I have no issues. just don't wanna risk dropping one.
The alternative is to buy another cabinet, and relocate the entire display into our lounge, I did mention this a while back to Mel, and the lack of a lengthy response tells me it wasn't a flat out NO !!

20 years means we've been together long enough for me to know "Softly softly catchee Minxie" :D
She likes me having this hobby.

Last edited:

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
AP ROO arrived today, well worth the measly sum I paid for it, it's definitely only been worn about twice, no signs of any scratches or owt, just a missing case back screw which I have replaced with a Phillips head for now whilst I wait patiently for the correct screws to arrive.
All working flawlessly, and the Chrono zero's absolutely perfectly too.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Who all remembers that "Rolex" Celebration which we dubbed the "Chernobyl" because the Dials balloons were off colour and some positioning ?
It was bloody awful even by my standards, so I bought a really nice Celebration off RepSource and will re purpose the Chernobyl.

The "Chernobyl"....

Well I found a nice Yellow Oyster Perp Dial yesterday, which is now winging it's way to me, the watch itself feels great and runs / keeps time like a champ, so I'll do the Dial swap when it gets here (y)

This below will be it's re-incarnation ....

Got work to do, still on building projects, the roofing arrives next week for car port extension at front of workshop / house, and also to fill in the time between now and next Wednesday I'm doing more work on our rear (loch facing) patio area, including an enclosed roofed outdoor recreation area for our cats at one end.

Cue the music ....

Last edited:

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Rained off on the Car Port pretty much all day, got 6 out of 20 roof sheets up yesterday, so no roofing dice today.
No news re poor old MIL who has but days left now, she's gone completely but not quite given up the fight. Totally un-responsive, the growth is huge and the Doctor is in each day upping the Morphine by 10mg per day to manage the pain, it's definitely not if just when now.

Then I remembered I have a box full of Casio G Shocks / parts and a CasiOak kit.
So rather than sit on me ass doing sod all I built it up, didn't take long (y)

Last week I ended up buying a brand new Genuine Casio GAB2100, which also has Bluetooth and Solar Power to charge the battery.
The other 2 I had were replicas, pretty shite and the replicas do not fit the SKX CasiOak Mod Kit. I binned one I had attacked with a dremel to see if I could make it fit, and sent the other down to my grandson :giggle:

Here it is in all it's glory, another chunky monkey, I like big watches :D ....

Last edited:

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Oh, I forgot /\ /\ /\ to tag @Karbon74 , there it is above and all finished buddy, if you are considering doing one, the SKX Kit is perfect, just be sure to get a Genuine G Shock, as the replicas are too thick and don't fit, and when you have a Gen in hand ya can see / feel exactly how crap the replicas really are.

I paid £100 for the one above direct from Casio UK mail order site ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Thanks !
I was thinking of tryong out one of those AliX mod kits wondering if the SKX kit is much better quality ?

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Looking at the pics, this thing is too big for me 😵

It is 44mm across the case not including the "crown". I haven't been in the house yet today, but I'd guess it isn't far off if at all, the size of my AP RO Offshore Chrono.

It wears very nicely though (y)

Reactions: Karbon74