• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Little Steps

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Update :-

Batgirl is here, working like a champ and exactly like the Gen in so far as the GMT hand stack is correct, the GMT hand runs at half speed (24 hrs per revolution) and the setting procedure is reasonably simple once you've got it sussed :giggle:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: C Master

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Update :-

Batgirl is here, working like a champ and exactly like the Gen in so far as the GMT hand stack is correct, the GMT hand runs at half speed (24 hrs per revolution) and the setting procedure is reasonably simple once you've got it sussed :giggle:

I have always been interested in the Batman (not a huge fan of jubilees). I never pulled the trigger as I tend to like the profile of the older GMTs. So please stop posting this or I will be tempted to go there :)

Just as a matter of interest did you get this off Neil? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Snooky and Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Just as a matter of interest did you get this off Neil? Asking for a friend.

Asking for a friend, juuust yeah yeah :ROFLMAO:

Yes I did P, for the money these watches from Neil are amazing value for the quality, he certainly knows his onions.
IIRC I think this is about my 15th from him, and have not had any troubles, service and timeframes are exceptional, and even better now as he is also selling some lovely high end watches (y)

It was today when my seized up sossidge fingers were taking a couple of the links outta the Jubilee I decided that perhaps I have enough watches with jubilees now, so yes, the next GMT will have an Oyster Bracelet, the only thing that is more hassle is a BO1 Navitimer Bracelet link :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: C Master

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere

Re Batgirl, after I set it yesterday 23 hrs ago using my network time it has run at +/- 0s.

Another recommendation for the quality of @RepPossessed watches, this isn't the first one that I've had that does that, and this one is a different movement to the regualr Miyota reps of which I have bought many. Most of my reps run around the 2 - 5s + figure, my Timegrapher has been redundant for a while now :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: Snooky and C Master

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland

Re Batgirl, after I set it yesterday 23 hrs ago using my network time it has run at +/- 0s.

Another recommendation for the quality of @RepPossessed watches, this isn't the first one that I've had that does that, and this one is a different movement to the regualr Miyota reps of which I have bought many. Most of my reps run around the 2 - 5s + figure, my Timegrapher has been redundant for a while now :giggle:

I love that Brabus.

• Love
Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Thanks P (y)

There was only 5 official Brabus ever built, one got written off.

The one of mine was built by me entirely in house, a more up to date version with the later V8 Engine, tuned by me, Camshafts, Exhaust, Airbox and mapping mods, over 350 bhp / 500Nm, (it kept spinning the wheels up in the dyno rollers).

There have been very few V8 SLK's built as the nut's and bolts is not too bad a job, but getting the newer electronics to work in harmony and talk to the older cars electronics so it all drives properly was the thing of nightmares. I built this during lockdown and was 24 / 7 for about 4 weeks hacking the huge Hex Files in the Motor, ABS / ESP and Transmission ECU's before the ultimate success. If it wasn't for lockdown it probably wouldn't be finished now.

Other electronics I added in was the paddle shift steering wheel from R171, using a C class Steering Module/ Clockspring, and full Android Head Unit, factory look with 10" Active Sub and 4 x speaker upgrades in Doors and Rear Bulkhead.

I've never had it flat out, hit 176 mph a few times but had to get on the (bigger upgrade S Class sized) brakes bloody hard as we were rapidly running outta real estate. Very stable at speed due to upgraded Suspension and Steering but by using OEM parts (Springs and Bilstein Shocks it rides well.

It should be good for well over 200 mph if one of my other V8 Mercedes is anything to go by, that is heavier and got clocked at 215 mph by some factory techies who were there testing the then new SLR around the Nordschleif around 8 years ago (y)

It still looks good, but is just starting to need some bodywork jobs. I fitted and painted a new left front wing when I first bought it as a 320 V6 many moons ago, now, inevitably it needs a right front and 2 rear wheel arches like most MB's of this period.

I have all the panels here but need to finish other stuff before I get onto it, still take it out on a warm dry summer day and have some fun with the NC500 tourists in various exoti-cars.

I'm also nearly finished on a silver V6 SLK resto which is almost ready for paint having had both front wings and 2 rear wheel arches.
That one might get a 5.0 V8 and then sold on.

Plan is to first get all the works done to bring the Croft and buildings back up to scratch as they have been neglected for too long due to the elder family illnesses previously.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Dunno if you guys remember the really cheap first watch I bought this time around at the watch hobby, the wee Black Submariner I bought in November last year.

Anyway, ahem cough cough, operator error broke it, tbf it had a real shit movement in it, although it did keep reasonably good time.

So, as it was my first RWI purchase having had a long lay off from buying / selling and collecting reps in the 2000's era, it carried a bit of sentimental value.
I bought a new Jap Miyota movement from Ali x for it a while back, stripped the hands and crown and dial off it, and left all the bit's in a sealed container until I got brave enough. I have done Mvt swaps B4, but that was 20 odd years ago without all my current ailments ;)

Well following the resounding success with stripping and repairing the Gold YM II Bezel rotation issue, and fixing that, all without a single mark on anything, yesterday I got all courageous like, after all it's no good sat dead in a draw in a million bits, and the worst that could possibly happen was I'd fuck it up and bin it :D

So due to the weather turning shite for a while yesterday, I got all the bits outta the drawer and started by fitting the dial and hands(y)

It has been running about 20 hrs now, keeping good time, correct date change bang on midnight and hands synchronised bang on each hour, date aligned nice in the window etc. I will pop it in it's case later and install a nice black Oyster Rubber Strap, then I can stop worrying about mullering my really good black Submariner, as that became my daily when this one got fubar.

I don't know if I'd actually attempt this on a really good one of my watches, I really struggled with getting the extremely tiny dial screws in, and getting the hands back on the wee fucker, both due to arthritic wrists and fingers, and also despite using magnification my eyes struggled too.

Last edited:

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
From my post above, here he is, all finished and new black rubber Oysterflex Strap fitted to replace the Oyster Bracelet I robbed for another watch :giggle:
there was a profuse amount of foul language as I turned the movement over to remove the workshop stem just before I fitted it as i stood it in the movement holder and managed to knock the @9 marker off, but out wiv the jewellers glue and some serious care and it's fixermabobbed back on and lines up purrfectly (y)

The slight scratches on the case back were unavoidable, someone at the watches factory musta screwed the back on after a sack fulla Weetabix :ROFLMAO:

I had to use small slip joints to get the bastard off, the proper die was slipping.
For now I just rubbed it over with a Scotchbrite to tidy it up a bit, as I got a new one coming soon wiv a bunch of other clasps and bracelets I've got ordered.

Last edited:

Sweetrep

The jerk store called
Supporter
Certified
24/7/23
US
From my post above, here he is, all finished and new black rubber Oysterflex Strap fitted to replace the Oyster Bracelet I robbed for another watch :giggle:
there was a profuse amount of foul language as I turned the movement over to remove the workshop stem just before I fitted it as i stood it in the movement holder and managed to knock the @9 marker off, but out wiv the jewellers glue and some serious care and it's fixermabobbed back on and lines up purrfectly (y)

The slight scratches on the case back were unavoidable, someone at the watches factory musta screwed the back on after a sack fulla Weetabix :ROFLMAO:

I had to use small slip joints to get the bastard off, the proper die was slipping.
For now I just rubbed it over with a Scotchbrite to tidy it up a bit, as I got a new one coming soon wiv a bunch of other clasps and bracelets I've got ordered.

Looks nice on the rubba

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Surprise today was I was expecting to get the Blue Dial Yacht-Master 1 when I saw the parcel the postie was carrying, opened it up, and inside was my Green Sky-Dweller ......

Over the moon with this one, the biggest surprise for me was that I didn't expect the GMT wheel to be properly functioning, but it is, it can be set how many hours plus or minus independently by using the Crown in its date setting position, turn crown one direction Date adjusts, turn crown the other way and GMT wheel adjusts. The GMT wheel also tracks as it should at half of the hour hand speed, i.e 24 hours for one revolution of GMT (y)

Sadly the Month indicator on this one is not adjustable, that is not a big issue for me, especially considering the price point of this watch, I can deffo live with that ;)

I will be having a quick look see to determine whether I can actually manually adjust the red dot month indicator easily from inside by spending approx 5 to10 minutes per month with the tools out 🙃
What I am thinking might just be possible, but is a lonnnnng shot, but I won't get anyone excited yet until I've had a look see at what actually currently marks the August month @8 ............ It's either gonna be impossible without being a highly skilled watchsmith / modder, or very easy so I will def report back one way or other once I've got a look see inside, which won't be any time soon as I have a long list of other stuff to do first ;)

Final thing is, as always, this one will be getting a Glide Lock Clasp, since I have a polished centre one in stock, as well as a few brushed finished clasps.

Last edited:

xray7

How deliciously absurd.
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
So, as it was my first RWI purchase having had a long lay off from buying / selling and collecting reps in the 2000's era, it carried a bit of sentimental value.
I bought a new Jap Miyota movement from Ali x for it a while back, stripped the hands and crown and dial off it, and left all the bit's in a sealed container until I got brave enough. I have done Mvt swaps B4, but that was 20 odd years ago without all my current ailments ;)

Well following the resounding success with stripping and repairing the Gold YM II Bezel rotation issue, and fixing that, all without a single mark on anything, yesterday I got all courageous like, after all it's no good sat dead in a draw in a million bits, and the worst that could possibly happen was I'd fuck it up and bin it :D

So due to the weather turning shite for a while yesterday, I got all the bits outta the drawer and started by fitting the dial and hands(y)

It has been running about 20 hrs now, keeping good time, correct date change bang on midnight and hands synchronised bang on each hour, date aligned nice in the window etc. I will pop it in it's case later and install a nice black Oyster Rubber Strap, then I can stop worrying about mullering my really good black Submariner, as that became my daily when this one got fubar.

I don't know if I'd actually attempt this on a really good one of my watches, I really struggled with getting the extremely tiny dial screws in, and getting the hands back on the wee fucker, both due to arthritic wrists and fingers, and also despite using magnification my eyes struggled too.
I’ve been playing with reps for more than 20 years and only this past week - sick as a dog with Covid - did I say “bugger it, no factory sells what I want, I’ll buy the parts and build myself a watch”.

Must be in the air - I hope you’ve enjoyed your movement assembly experience and feel reinvigorated for it!

• Love

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Must be in the air - I hope you’ve enjoyed your movement assembly experience and feel reinvigorated for it!

Thank you kind sir (y)

Definitely, it all started with a purchase of a YM II really cheap because it had a bezel issue. I successfully fixed that without even a mark anywhere, so it gave me a bit more confidence. The success on the two watches has now given me the balls to buy a faulty watch cheap from one of our TD's as it's one I wanted to add and I'm also about to try and negotiate another I'd like which is in his clear out sale.

I'll report more here later on these, the first watch is in the post :)

Also the Blue Yachtmaster 1 got me all excited for a day or two until I realised it had stopped dead in the post in Glasgow :eek:
However yesterday it started to move again and will hopefully be here today as it left Inverness MC at around 5am bound for my local Kyle DO :D