• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

janneau

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/22
janneau how does the sun remove bumpiness of the lacquer?

Not the lacquer, the print underneath which has a bumpy/gritty texture look because of minute differences in the colours that blend/or not to make the 'black' colour (even though it was printed in greyscale) The sun/light tends to bleach out the individual red/blue/yellow dots to make each colour less pronounced and more uniform.

janneau

18/1/22
Might throw the Burford dial in one of these £27/$33/E32 cases I found :
I'll bevel the lugs and shave off the crown guards.
I've shaved the crown guards off a cheapo sub case before to 'meh' results
There were no drilled lugs on that case though.

janneau

18/1/22
Decided to have a go at a blue Tudor sub dial to see how color would hold up on film over a blank white dial. (and text resolution) Used the laminator process as I've run out of water-slide decal paper. I printed a darker blue as I knew I'd lose some of the opacity when peeling off the film.

janneau

18/1/22
Been experimenting with color printing on water-slide decals to see if I can get something halfway decent.
A friend asked if I could make a custom dial incorporating the decals and componentry from a vintage bike. (frame decal, crank spider, rims)

Ended up with this :
Green and blue print over a white dial

Another green dial over a clear coated brass dial :
Came out better

...and a blue print over a clear-coated brass that unfortunately came out dark purple when applied

The guy liked it anyway

Reactions: Hor-Fan

ProperGains

Supporter
Certified
18/5/22
I've got a decal for a bart simpson that i'd like made on a 5513 submariner gilt dial. Anyone able to do this for me? pm a price.

janneau

18/1/22
Finally decided on a project. Going to build a '59 5512 with the eagle beak guards using and altering the cheap $30 case I posted upthread.
Thought I'd try pre-tropicing the dial in the print (below) to see if that works

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Motorhead13

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Is anyone up for the challenge to create a honeycomb explorer 6350 dial?

j9dwxK.jpg

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Is anyone up for the challenge to create a honeycomb explorer 6350 dial?

j9dwxK.jpg

hi buddy ... as you already know, one year after my first trial at creating such a dial I'm still struggling to nail the right method :rolleyes:
but things are going better those days and there could be good news next week ... if I don't ruin everything at the end of the print process :unsure:

BTW ... I'm working on a batch of 6 so that I can fuckup 1 or 2 and still get some ready for casing ...

6350-HONEYCOMB-DIALS.jpg

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
hi buddy ... as you already know, one year after my first trial at creating such a dial I'm still struggling to nail the right method :rolleyes:
but things are going better those days and there could be good news next week ... if I don't ruin everything at the end of the print process :unsure:

BTW ... I'm working on a batch of 6 so that I can fuckup 1 or 2 and still get some ready for casing ...

6350-HONEYCOMB-DIALS.jpg

LOVE IT I CANT WAIT! THEY LOOK AMAIZING

janneau

18/1/22
Those honeycomb dials are awesome work ! I wouldn't know where to start with those.
I re-did the eagle beak dial with smaller chapter ring and made a bezel pip from epoxy mixed with lume powder and dirt.

uno.jpg

eb2.jpg

ProperGains

Supporter
Certified
18/5/22
Those honeycomb dials are awesome work ! I wouldn't know where to start with those.
I re-did the eagle beak dial with smaller chapter ring and made a bezel pip from epoxy mixed with lume powder and dirt.

uno.jpg

eb2.jpg
holy shit is this yours?

janneau

18/1/22
holy shit is this yours?
Yes.
Case $30
Blank dial : £10
Hands : $10
Movement (DG) : $25
So $75 /64GBP all-in.
Already had the epoxy/decalpaper/gold leaf/crown. so from scratch, it'd probably be about $100 ($200 with a decent movement, and a bit more to get someone who isn't terrible at applying lume)

Another random 'doesn't exist IRL' personalized one I built for a friend :
random.jpg

Purple over silver.