• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
manodeoro
Thanks for the response. I think you are correct. 600ppi would mean that the SCOC text would be about 12 "dots" tall.

Also, I don't think printing as a TIF in Photoshop worked for me (PDF from Acrobat was better, if I recall), but I could try again. But I'll likely be limited by the printer.

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello folks,
for some reason I just discovered this thread. I think I really want to give a try!
It's a bit difficult to gather information throughout the thread. Here is what I understood so far:
  • Get a brass blank for ETA on eBay (28.5mm is the easiest to find): https://www.ebay.de/itm/174924738309
  • Optional: gold leaf on top of the dial (gold plating sounds a bit too ambitious). Or just leave the brass as it is.
  • Use sunnyscopa film free waterslide (inkjet or laser). Most likely two or more layers. To my understanding, it should be printed at 1200DPI.
  • Apply lume (not sure yet how to do that)
One thing I have a hard time finding through the thread are template files. Could someone be kind enough to point me to where they are hosted?
Also do you use vector or raster?

Thank you,
Joyeuse Pâques

Reactions: Thecloudhopper

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Hello folks,
for some reason I just discovered this thread. I think I really want to give a try!
It's a bit difficult to gather information throughout the thread. Here is what I understood so far:
  • Get a brass blank for ETA on eBay (28.5mm is the easiest to find): https://www.ebay.de/itm/174924738309
  • Optional: gold leaf on top of the dial (gold plating sounds a bit too ambitious). Or just leave the brass as it is.
  • Use sunnyscopa film free waterslide (inkjet or laser). Most likely two or more layers. To my understanding, it should be printed at 1200DPI.
One thing I have a hard time finding through the thread are template files. Could someone be kind enough to point me to where they are hosted?

Thank you,
Joyeuse Pâques

page 47 is where most of them are but there are some more scattered higher up in the page count.

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Hello folks,

Thank you,
Joyeuse Pâques

page 47 is where most of them are but there are some more scattered higher up in the page count.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
Hello folks,

Thank you,
Joyeuse Pâques

just a heads up, film free waterslide paper only works with laser printers.

janneau

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/22
3.jpg

bondsub.jpg

sub2.jpg

subblack2.jpg

janneau

18/1/22
I have higher resolution versions of the above dials if anyone needs them (too big to post on the page I think)
I print them at 3% to get them to 28mm size.
This is the res at 100% on the 'four line' dial
fourline.jpg

fourline2.jpg

I tried a different 'rattle can' gold for backing/base on the dial. The metal flake used in Rustoleum is a bit too large and gives too much of a glittery effect, so I tried a cheaper store brand gold aerosol and it seems better. Still using the laminate film rather than waterslide transfers and now clear-coating the ink/back side of the film and it's topped the bleeding and turning the black ink translucent green.
IMAG0013.jpg

janneau

18/1/22
First attempt on the Burford. Didn't see the flaw in the print (dotted line) until I tooked at the photo.

janneau

18/1/22
Second attempt on the Burford
The black in has turned a sort of gray-blue over the white. Whereas the black over the gold on the other dial has gone a nice sort of tropical colour (which I can live with)
Might try the Burford on waterslide paper as the print is more opaque.
IMAG0002.jpg

Reactions: 369mafia

janneau

18/1/22
Some Explorer attempts :
Over gold

Over white

Another attempt on the Burford
Print came out a bit 'gritty' on the waterslide decal film.

janneau

18/1/22
Put a few coats of clearcoat. Yes, the text is definitely crisper with the waterslide decals especially on the tropical dial
Not looking forawrd to doing the lume on the 3/6/9 though

janneau

18/1/22
I wonder if the grittiness will help make the final dials appear appropriately aged. 50-60 year old dials rarely have the NOS look that a lot of rep dials of vintage watches have. Can't wait to see photos of an assembled watch.

I added a few more coats of clearcoat then sanded back with 3000 grit to take off the high gloss to give a more satin-matt/aged finish then set the dials out in direct sunlight to fade out some of the bumpiness. I might dust over the dials later with some clear, then dab with a sponge when semi-dry to give a matty gritty texture to go with the print grittiness.

Did a quick mock-up of the Burford dial too see what it'll look like in situ. Doesn't look too bad

Probably going to get a Silix 6538 case for that. Haven't got the chops to do the full A6538 bezel conversion though. Or I could file off the lugs from another sub case and put on in 8mm Brevet crown set.

Reactions: GenuineFool