• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
End of January a nice member here ... fellow countryman ... and a friend too I hope ... PMed me to get some help on how he could mod and age a Cartel 6538.
I did my best to give good advices about how to drill and chamfer lugs, swap the handset for a better one, etc ...

Along the conversation he asked me if I could make a negative-gilt 6538 dial for him and I said I'd be glad to.
So he sent me the Cartel dial so that I could check the dimensions I needed, the Cartel bezel and the handset he had bought from Slay.

Along the aging process he had done on the handset the lume on the minutes hand was gone so we decided I would remove the lume on the others hands and relume the handset along with the gilt dial.

It took me some weeks (months in fact) to have free time to make his negative-gilt dial but I finaly made it.
When ready to start lume work I decided I couldn't let the pearl as it was I decided to remove it from the insert, scratch the existing lume and redo it too.
Yesterday evening I lumed everything ... so here are the pics ...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I printed a SEIKO 3/6/9 negative-gilt dial yesterday evening ...

Just a print-test for now, to check what should me modified to the design, but the final result will be nice I guess ;)

Looks awesome bro. No guessing about it!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Looks awesome bro. No guessing about it!
Thanks ....
What I like the best on that one is the thickness of the negative gilt ...

c1aebfbf95f98e20fea5f6d218e39533.jpg

jamiex

25/7/09
Yorkshire
I printed a SEIKO 3/6/9 negative-gilt dial yesterday evening ...

Just a print-test for now, to check what should me modified to the design, but the final result will be nice I guess ;)

What model printer are you using and how many layers of decal paper are you using?
Those dials are looking really good btw.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
What model printer are you using and how many layers of decal paper are you using?
Those dials are looking really good btw.

Thanks !!!
- RICOH IM C4500
- sunnyscopa film-free decal paper
- 2 to 3 layers depending on the design ... I even used 4 layers for my 6610 red-depth Explorer gilt dial
- cold beer or hot herb-tea depending on the weather
- voodoo puppets ... not 100% certain it helps but who knows :wingnut:

Reactions: jamiex and deadpan

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Another 5513 gilt dial ... crispy print and clear negative-gilt effect :cool:
I just applied the white dot on the markers so it's almost finished ...

I'm waiting for the potential buyer to tell me how he wants it to be lumed ... color, glow, etc ...
If he can't make up his mind I'll make an off-white lume, low green glow as such a dial should be

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
Another 5513 gilt dial ... crispy print and clear negative-gilt effect :cool:
I just applied the white dot on the markers so it's almost finished ...

I'm waiting for the potential buyer to tell me how he wants it to be lumed ... color, glow, etc ...
If he can't make up his mind I'll make an off-white lume, low green glow as such a dial should be

wow that one looks phenomenal! when you use multiple layers, I'm assuming you are applying one, waiting for it to cure or whatnot, and then perfectly aligning another one on top of that?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
wow that one looks phenomenal! when you use multiple layers, I'm assuming you are applying one, waiting for it to cure or whatnot, and then perfectly aligning another one on top of that?

Exactly ... as I already said, somewhere in that thread, I apply 2 layers or more, letting each layer to perfectly cure before applying the next one.
The white paint on where I'll put the lume is applied by hand, using a miniaturist paintbrush ... the big secret is not to breathe at all while you do that :p

jamiex

25/7/09
Yorkshire
Thanks !!!
- RICOH IM C4500
- sunnyscopa film-free decal paper
- 2 to 3 layers depending on the design ... I even used 4 layers for my 6610 red-depth Explorer gilt dial
- cold beer or hot herb-tea depending on the weather
- voodoo puppets ... not 100% certain it helps but who knows :wingnut:

Cheers for that mate, and it’ll have to be cold beer in this weather.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Very nice, are you planning on doing a Turn ‘O’ Graph?

I really have no idea ... it depends if I achieve to make a really good 6350 :) if I succeed doing that one I could try a 6202 ...

jamiex

25/7/09
Yorkshire
I’d love to see a rep Turn ‘O’ Graph, from what I understand it’s where it all started for the Subs.

Dean130

Horology Curious
24/12/20
End of January a nice member here ... fellow countryman ... and a friend too I hope ... PMed me to get some help on how he could mod and age a Cartel 6538.
I did my best to give good advices about how to drill and chamfer lugs, swap the handset for a better one, etc ...

Along the conversation he asked me if I could make a negative-gilt 6538 dial for him and I said I'd be glad to.
So he sent me the Cartel dial so that I could check the dimensions I needed, the Cartel bezel and the handset he had bought from Slay.

Along the aging process he had done on the handset the lume on the minutes hand was gone so we decided I would remove the lume on the others hands and relume the handset along with the gilt dial.

It took me some weeks (months in fact) to have free time to make his negative-gilt dial but I finaly made it.
When ready to start lume work I decided I couldn't let the pearl as it was I decided to remove it from the insert, scratch the existing lume and redo it too.
Yesterday evening I lumed everything ... so here are the pics ...

RESULT AFTER REASSEMBLY...

THANKS MY FRIEND