• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean new GMT with DD3285 QC pics and video release [finally]

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
A word of caution about these watches: I’ve had two on my bench and both failed water resistance tests. Not even 1 bar. One even exploded in my pressure tester. They leaked like a rusty bucket.

I put a bead of UV glue around the crystal on one before I snapped it into the gasket and that worked, but the correct size crystal and gasket is the obvious solution. I don’t know the perfect combination at this point. I suggest not swimming with these watches.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

Here it is sporting a Xing bezel insert. A very attractive GMT. The bezel action is crisp and better than previous versions. Hopefully they’ll pair a good crystal and gasket and solve the problem with leaks they are so famous for.

Relos_Indios

Known Member
10/3/23
Asia
A word of caution about these watches: I’ve had two on my bench and both failed water resistance tests. Not even 1 bar. One even exploded in my pressure tester. They leaked like a rusty bucket.

I put a bead of UV glue around the crystal on one before I snapped it into the gasket and that worked, but the correct size crystal and gasket is the obvious solution. I don’t know the perfect combination at this point. I suggest not swimming with these watches.
Is this an issue with other CF reps for r just for this particular release?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Nice reminder. I tend to forget about this issue since I don't ever get my watches wet intentionally except for an occasional thin stream of water for a more thorough cleaning than normal.

@Neon

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Does this have anything to do with the crystal? Would installing a deep crystal remedy this problem?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Does this have anything to do with the crystal? Would installing a deep crystal remedy this problem?
The xxxxY2L3 serial cases have had this issue since they started being used. Any 29.5mm gen-spec crystal should be able to be made WP with a good crystal gasket and a good quality crystal retaining ring. Unfortunately, CLEAN uses neither OOTB.

Here is a pic of CLEAN retaining ring sitting loosely on top of a BP case with its retaining ring. You can see how cheap it is.

jPf4Zj.jpg

The CLEAN crystal gasket is also thin and cheap. When trying to fit a gen gasket, the retaining ring usually won't go back on because a gen gasket is thicker. So the gen gasket needs to be shaved a little to be thinner, but it's a hit or miss task that can result in thinning it too much resulting in it leaking again.

A bead of glue at the joint between base of the crystal gasket and where it meets the case is a good solution. Then press the retaining over the gasket. UV glue can be used, it's a common watch product for crystals. I've also used E6000 glue in this manner which I really like. With E6000 you can press the retaining ring right onto a wet bead and bond all 3 pieces together at their common joints. It's quite strong but also can be peeled away cleanly and easily if/when needed.

Last edited:

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
So now you must pay extra for waterproof "upgrade" which should have been done correctly to begin with?
Here's a new DD3285 GMT that exploded in my pressure tester. The crystal blew off and destroyed the hands and dial. This should never happen.
Were you putting it under 100m-10bar test?

Scabicide

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/10/13
Hi there,

Just got my Sprite from CTime and bezel has A LOT of side play. Any trick to fix it?

The Pepsi I got from another TD has no play at all.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So now you must pay extra for waterproof "upgrade" which should have been done correctly to begin with?
Here's a new DD3285 GMT that exploded in my pressure tester. The crystal blew off and destroyed the hands and dial. This should never happen.

Freaking crazy bro. Cheap gasket and cheap retaining ring. Crystal shouldn't matter as long as it's gen-spec. An intact glue bead or gen (or improved quality) parts are needed. Just wow.

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

Mavriff

Horology Curious
27/5/23
NYC
CTime delivered my Pepsi on Oyster a couple weeks ago.
Nice! seems as if only 126710 BLRO Pepsi's on oyster bracelets have been delivered since the new movement was released.

I have not seen any 126710 BLNR with DD3285 on oyster bracelets yet, only jubilee.