• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean new GMT with DD3285 QC pics and video release [finally]

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
On the 32xx dials there might be a very small amount of wiggle room for alignment, but it’s not much. Install the date side first doing your best to align the date in the date window, then lower the opposite side down and press home. The date should be aligned in the date window and if you’re lucky the dial will be aligned with the rehaut, but very possibly not. Quite frankly it’s not worth the risk of removing and re-installing the dial and hands to fix a misaligned rehaut that can’t be seen without a loupe. A badly misaligned date…maybe. If you have the tools and knowhow then go for it. If not, why risk it?

Also keep in mind that if you perfectly align the rehaut the date might then be off. I would rather have a centered date if I had to choose between the two.

Last edited:

mcboom

time & patience - the two most powerful warriors
Supporter
Certified
12/1/23
Thailand
People who have received their watches do you feel a deep crystal upgrade is worthwhile or are you happy enough with the Clean one?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
People who have received their watches do you feel a deep crystal upgrade is worthwhile or are you happy enough with the Clean one?
Deep crystal upgrades on CF GMTs often fail pressure tests. I’ve done several of these on my bench. None have passed a pressure test after install. I know some watchmakers have had success using UV glue to get them to seal. I’ll be trying that method shortly. But for now, be aware that you might be trading waterproofness (even splash proofness) for slightly better AR.

Autobús

Conductor de Autobús
Patron
Certified
23/9/21
🇺🇸
Deep crystal upgrades on CF GMTs often fail pressure tests. I’ve done several of these on my bench. None have passed a pressure test after install. I know some watchmakers have had success using UV glue to get them to seal. I’ll be trying that method shortly. But for now, be aware that you might be trading waterproofness (even splash proofness) for slightly better AR.
Weren't many fairly recent CF GMT’s suffering from water resistance issues straight from the factory and even prior to the recent deep xtal craze?

Casiofx

Supporter
Certified
21/3/23
Germany
the dial of 3285 has no pins and is in a fixed position, it cannot be moved or rotated. The problem is easily solved by moving all the movement. a
On the 32xx dials there might be a very small amount of wiggle room for alignment, but it’s not much. Install the date side first doing your best to align the date in the date window, then lower the opposite side down and press home. The date should be aligned in the date window and if you’re lucky the dial will be aligned with the rehaut, but very possibly not. Quite frankly it’s not worth the risk of removing and re-installing the dial and hands to fix a misaligned rehaut that can’t be seen without a loupe. A badly misaligned date…maybe. If you have the tools and knowhow then go for it. If not, why risk it?

Also keep in mind that if you perfectly align the rehaut the date might then be off. I would rather have a centered date if I had to choose between the two.
I risked it and dismounted the hands and dial it worked well for me.
Maybe I have to losen the movement and rotate it minimal to the right again.

Reactions: Tijdwijzer

big_polarbear

Captain SWAGddock
Patron
Certified
27/7/20
Sweden
Clean one or go Gen. I always go gen with xtal. There has been several comparison between deep and clean with absolutely no improvement other a barely discernible upgrade to the cyclops that you’ll never see IRL without taking a macro shot

mcboom

Supporter
Certified
12/1/23
Thailand
Clean one or go Gen. I always go gen with xtal. There has been several comparison between deep and clean with absolutely no improvement other a barely discernible upgrade to the cyclops that you’ll never see IRL without taking a macro shot
Thank you for this 🥳

Reactions: big_polarbear

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Weren't many fairly recent CF GMT’s suffering from water resistance issues straight from the factory and even prior to the recent deep xtal craze?
Yes. You’re technically correct. I only have a few data points but in all my tests I didn’t check if they were wsterproof before the swap. So I really can’t conclude that it was deep crystal that was the issue.

mcboom

Supporter
Certified
12/1/23
Thailand
The V2 recently released has fixed the waterproofing issue apparently..

Reactions: raremedium

mhrboy

Renowned Member
Certified
13/4/21
Unfortunately nobody checked and confirmed. TDs don’t even perform waterproofing tests during QCs because they said that is done directly from factories…

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Guess what... that's how exactly clean told me :oops:

If they are actually doing that it would be a huge step in the right direction. I can only tell you my personal experience with pressure testing has resulted it numerous CF GMT failures. And not just me, but other watchmakers as well. It's really time to fix this silly problem which hopefully they have done. Thank you for the update.