• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean GMT-II Pepsi updated bezel insert V2/V2s review and comparison

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
Heres a sales tread with a new Clean Pepsi, I can see paint is coming off as well. Very apparent on the 22

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/rolex-gmt-master-ii-ref-126710-blro-“pepsi”-clean-v3-dd3285-new-with-deep-crystal.10959158/#post-11502508
That’s not a new clean insert..

big_polarbear

Captain SWAGddock
Patron
Certified
27/7/20
Sweden
BTW, i got QCs on the Batman about 3-4 weeks ago, and QC on the Pepsi last week. So it looks like this is a problem on a fairly big batch.

Under the "platinum paint" both inlays have a different texture in the numbers.

Might be a good idea for all members ordering this watch, to put a hold on it, until we figure out what's going on. Don't wanna see this happening to someone else.

Here is the difference in texture, under the paint:

I see no difference

Doc brown

Supporter
Certified
1/11/17
I use car paint not a marker but this article from posca is what I use. You will have to only put the ceramic insert in the oven not the whole watch. Since the paint is already on there, maybe 60-80 Degrees Celsius then try going higher. Someone did write a post about doing it here too but I can't remember who it was.

On Horolgyboard someone had great luck using the molotov then drying for 275 degrees.

big_polarbear

Captain SWAGddock
Patron
Certified
27/7/20
Sweden
Pepsi is pretty smooth, Batman has tint craters

Aha I thought you meant between the 1 and the 8 in both. I assumed that the difference between the pepsi and the batman was a camera effect or something like that

Last edited:

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
Obviously there's something not right. Going to wait a few months before buying one. Patience is a virtue after this discovery. I'm surprised but I guess I shouldn't be.

Reactions: 2841

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I usually don't comment here becuase there are experts that know far more than me but in this instance I may be able to make life easier for someone hopefully. I know for a fact from my TD that these 2 models are being rushed out due to popular demand. From what I can see on the streaks left behind, on the outer ceramic and from how the paint is textured like that inside the numbered engravings, it appears the paint is still wet. I fear that these are "hot" out of the oven so to speak and the platinum has not had enough time to dry. So half soft dry with water will cause it smear like that and leave streaks when wiping and a cloudy residue on the surface is usually a sign of wet paint. It looks the same when I use rubbing alcohol on dry paint too. It seems the paint is quite thick from what I can see in the numbers so it may have been still soft.

A good experiment would be if someone receives one within this batch and puts it in an oven for a few hours to let it cure, then trying to wash it in water.
These insert engravings are either sputter coated or plated. They are not enamel paint.

Reactions: mmaggi

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Reminds me of my 2019 GMF - the paint / coating was water soluble so I had to dig it all out and replace it with a paint mod. I’m sceptical that it’s because it was removed from a kiln early as it’s not the same process as firing the ceramic.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
May I know which kind of solution you use for cleaning?
Just water and dishwashing soap with a toothbrush, like i've been doing the last 4-5 years to both rep and gen :)

Its not the soap thats the problem, its the "platinum paint"

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Aha I thought you meant between the 1 and the 8 in both. I assumed that the difference between the pepsi and the batman was a camera effect or something like that
No the transition lines are pretty much perfect, it's the way the cut out the numbers. The reason why these inlays looks good, is apperently becouse they just fill out the uneven part with a fuckton of paint :)

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I just tested the new insert from Ctime by washing in hot water and Dawn detergent. It had no effect on it and it looks perfect.
Well that's a huge relief, hopefully this was a somewhat small batch, and i was just unlucky

rhern213

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
13/2/14
I just tested the new insert from Ctime by washing in hot water and Dawn detergent. It had no effect on it and it looks perfect.

Same for me. Also to add, the inserts come tightly wrapped in a plastic bag. I would think if the issue was from undried coating that it would get stuck to the plastic bag during weeks of heat and transport.

Reactions: CTime and Holy0ne

tfmacky

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/12/19
UK
The V2 red looks a lot closer to the gen and even the blue looks a bit better might finally buy one now just in time for Christmas

Reactions: CTime

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15

New V2 insert arrived from @CTime yesterday. Here it is compared to a gen. For those that wanted the perfect Pepsi insert, I would say the wait is over.
Beautiful, however just when I am ready to pull the trigger something comes up like the washing of the coating. 🤦🏻‍♂️