• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean GMT-II Pepsi updated bezel insert V2/V2s review and comparison

0ffcamber

Getting To Know The Place
4/6/23
U.S.A.

Here’s what happens to a new Clean V3 Pepsi bezel when a bit of garage grease gets smeared across it.
The platinum colored paint is not very resilient.

As New
heGJo8.jpeg

Grease Damage

heGbgR.jpeg

heGS1Q.jpeg

heG0ML.jpeg

Note to self “remove watch while fixing stuff in the garage”.​

Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

-
25/9/22

Here’s what happens to a new Clean V3 Pepsi bezel when a bit of garage grease gets smeared across it.​

The platinum colored paint is not very resilient.​

As New

heGJo8.jpeg

Grease Damage

heGbgR.jpeg

heGS1Q.jpeg

heG0ML.jpeg

Note to self “remove watch while fixing stuff in the garage”.​

Good to know. Plat plating looks damaged. I assumed you already washed it vigorously with some liquid wash soap for dishes?

You can try and do a DIY fix by getting a silver sharpie and filling in the numbers yourself. It won't look quite like the original but hey it beats spending $200 for another insert.

0ffcamber

4/6/23
U.S.A.
Good to know. Plat plating looks damaged. I assumed you already washed it vigorously with some liquid wash soap for dishes?

You can try and do a DIY fix by getting a silver sharpie and filling in the numbers yourself. It won't look quite like the original but hey it beats spending $200 for another insert.

As soon as I wiped off the grease with a microfiber cloth the platinum paint came off.
I did grab a dab of soap and water to fully clean it which worked but a bit more paint came off too.
It was a learning experience for sure. I actually believed the paint was baked on but I wasn’t really sure until now.

I’m on the hunt for a replacement.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
As soon as I wiped off the grease with a microfiber cloth the platinum paint came off.
I did grab a dab of soap and water to fully clean it which worked but a bit more paint came off too.
It was a learning experience for sure. I actually believed the paint was baked on but I wasn’t really sure until now.

I’m on the hunt for a replacement.
This was talked about in the very first batches of the insert actually, some members had the platinum plating peeled off, but then it was retested with soap and it didn't happen,

So it seems it is an issue, the platinum plating is reactive to certain chemical compositions,

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22

I use this instead:

Reactions: Reaps and 0ffcamber

Richard 26

24/7/24
Lighter fluid is great at cleaning up oil/grease. Note sure if it will react with the paint but might we worth a shot

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Wait i must be behind lol Clean went away from the pastel inserts? Damn

btrizzy1

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
26/12/09
USA
I have a Xing V5 Pepsi Bezel that I am looking to swap. Anyone have a video on how I can do that? Or is it better to send off to a watchsmith?

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
It’s a simple DIY just be careful. I’m not experienced and I’ve done this over a dozen times without cracking the ceramic.

btrizzy1

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
26/12/09
USA
It’s a simple DIY just be careful. I’m not experienced and I’ve done this over a dozen times without cracking the ceramic.
Do you have guide or video that you followed before doing it?

mini88

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/8/22

which of the current pepsi models look like the one on the right? i like the actual blue color instead of the darker/navy blue on the left.

Zeta7

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
I cracked the insert on my 41mm vsf submariner and been gun shy ever since. I don’t know if there’s any connection between them but be careful

Reaps

-
25/9/22
The rep ceramics are extra thin compared to gen so alot of care must be taken with them. My personal watch maker has cracked 1 sub insert and told me he got sweaty removing the one for my GMT lol

Reactions: Zeta7 and 0ffcamber

JimmyD750

Renowned Member
Certified
18/3/15
St. Louis, MO
Lighter fluid is great at cleaning up oil/grease. Note sure if it will react with the paint but might we worth a shot
99% isopropyl alcohol is best, as it leaves absolutely zero residue. Lighter fluid leaves an oily residue which is hard for paint to adhere to in the future, when he redoes the markers (this mod is what I’d call semi-permanent). You can find 99% on Amazon as cheap as $7, but I use this as it’s a higher grade: