• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean GMT-II Pepsi updated bezel insert V2/V2s review and comparison

Frekko

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/23
Budapest
Im never setting the watch backwards. Just my luck I will have an issue. I’m still re watching a video beforehand just to be sure before I set.
Well, I watched a video too, but maybe it was the wrong one 😂. There's a video on TrustyTime's website of the GMT Pepsi where they set the date both forward and backward. That's also a CF watch, so there shouldn't be any difference between the watches—every TD gets them from the same place.

samsoniteman

Maker of Poor Financial Decisions
Supporter
Certified
2/6/23
US
Thanks for your response! Well, now he is telling me not to turn it backward at all because it will break the watch. I even asked if I could do it in the 2nd or 3rd position of the crown, but the answer was not to turn it backward! The question is, what watch did they send me? Supposedly, it's a CF V3 with a DD3285 movement. Since it's running slow, I'll take it to a watchmaker to adjust it, and maybe he can do something about the bezel too because it has a lot of play. I just wrote to Ctime asking what kind of watch this actually is. I'm curious about his response.
I think you're overthinking this a bit.. In my view you have a few options:
- Wear the watch at least once every couple days. It'll keep time & date and you'll only have to advance the time / date 1 hour or day for daylight savings time (twice a year) or date to account for 30 vs 31 days (so date change once every 2 months).
- Put the watch in a winder. Similar to above, you'll only have to change 1 hour / 1 day at most.
- Just adjust the time however you like. The movement is robust enough that it will not break being set backwards, but YMMV as these are reps at the end of the day.

All that said, I hope you got the watch from the real CTime (linked from this forum) and not a CTime imposter. In any case, they may be telling you not to set backwards just in the abundance of caution.

... and now I am guilty of 'overthinking' this :LOL:

Frekko

12/4/23
Budapest
3285 is absolutely in charge to set the date backwards. Dont worry.
And for backplay of the bezel there is a fixed thread in the forum here, no need for a watchmaker:)
Thanks for your response. I'll check the bezel myself and try to adjust it. I also thought the date could be set in both directions, but Ctime wrote this "The factory don't recommend set the date backward, they said will damage the movement"
That's why I asked him what watch he sent me. Is it CF and definitely DD3285? There shouldn't be any difference in the watch's functions, so now I'm waiting for their response. I'll share it with you all once I get it.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Thanks for your response. I'll check the bezel myself and try to adjust it. I also thought the date could be set in both directions, but Ctime wrote this "The factory don't recommend set the date backward, they said will damage the movement"
That's why I asked him what watch he sent me. Is it CF and definitely DD3285? There shouldn't be any difference in the watch's functions, so now I'm waiting for their response. I'll share it with you all once I get it.
Well i just told you my opinion. I bet the factory says this so they dont have to provide warranty. I never did something else on VR3186 or DD3285 or SH3285. Maybe a watchmaker can tell if you should not do that on those clonemovements.

Reactions: lovegensandreps

Frekko

12/4/23
Budapest
I think you're overthinking this a bit.. In my view you have a few options:
- Wear the watch at least once every couple days. It'll keep time & date and you'll only have to advance the time / date 1 hour or day for daylight savings time (twice a year) or date to account for 30 vs 31 days (so date change once every 2 months).
- Put the watch in a winder. Similar to above, you'll only have to change 1 hour / 1 day at most.
- Just adjust the time however you like. The movement is robust enough that it will not break being set backwards, but YMMV as these are reps at the end of the day.

All that said, I hope you got the watch from the real CTime (linked from this forum) and not a CTime imposter. In any case, they may be telling you not to set backwards just in the abundance of caution.

... and now I am guilty of 'overthinking' this :LOL:
I listen to all opinions, but sorry, I don't agree with you! You order from here because you trust them and expect to get what you ordered. Of course, I checked the website and email address; there's no error there. However, as mentioned before and as some TDs have informed me, this function should work, but it doesn't... And you suggest I wear it and put it on a watch winder? Should I do that because I bought a watch that doesn't work as it should? Is this serious? I'll wait for his response because I'm glad this forum has confirmed that the function should work, but it doesn't on my watch.

xZeroCoolx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/10/22
US
I listen to all opinions, but sorry, I don't agree with you! You order from here because you trust them and expect to get what you ordered. Of course, I checked the website and email address; there's no error there. However, as mentioned before and as some TDs have informed me, this function should work, but it doesn't... And you suggest I wear it and put it on a watch winder? Should I do that because I bought a watch that doesn't work as it should? Is this serious? I'll wait for his response because I'm glad this forum has confirmed that the function should work, but it doesn't on my watch.
I don't believe you mentioned that it didn't work only that CTime advised you not to.

If it truly doesn't work there is an issue but are you sure you are doing it correctly? When in position 2 you have to go back a few hours, it's not going to flip right at 12 like it does going forward, try going back to 8 or 9 and see if it flips backwards.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
Well, I watched a video too, but maybe it was the wrong one 😂. There's a video on TrustyTime's website of the GMT Pepsi where they set the date both forward and backward. That's also a CF watch, so there shouldn't be any difference between the watches—every TD gets them from the same place.
I’ve been watching several. No one is best. I never thought I’d be doing this just over setting a watch but it has helped me

samsoniteman

Maker of Poor Financial Decisions
Supporter
Certified
2/6/23
US
I think you're misunderstanding my post friend. I'm not telling you to NOT wear your watch and leave it on a winder. I'm suggesting that when you are not wearing it (e.g. you're wearing other watches) that you can put it in a winder so you dont have to worry about the watch stopping.

But as you've said, you bought it from CTime - plenty of other members have their DD3285s with no issues however they set the watch, so just wear it and enjoy. I think you're worrying too much about this.

Frekko

12/4/23
Budapest
I don't believe you mentioned that it didn't work only that CTime advised you not to.

If it truly doesn't work there is an issue but are you sure you are doing it correctly? When in position 2 you have to go back a few hours, it's not going to flip right at 12 like it does going forward, try going back to 8 or 9 and see if it flips backwards.
I don't want to try it because if it breaks, they'll say it's because I turned the date backward. It should indeed work, but they wrote not to use it. I mentioned that there are customers who ordered from them, and it should work in the 2nd position because that's what they were told. So the question is, does CF have a new movement, or did they order a different watch for me?

Ferrichie

Horology Curious
12/5/22
You get what you pay. Paying minimum but then asking RWI members to do the service they have to pay premium at TD (confirming to be sold what is advertised) is kind of showing your character.
you dont have to respond if you dont want to. I dont insist. kind of showing your character. lol

xZeroCoolx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/10/22
US
I don't want to try it because if it breaks, they'll say it's because I turned the date backward. It should indeed work, but they wrote not to use it. I mentioned that there are customers who ordered from them, and it should work in the 2nd position because that's what they were told. So the question is, does CF have a new movement, or did they order a different watch for me?
You are way overthinking this. CTime is just covering themselves. Set it backwards and just enjoy it.

Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

-
25/9/22
It's a replica. It's $500. Set it backward if you want or not. It could break wrong if you sneeze at it wrong. Wear it and enjoy it and if it breaks it breaks. Noone is going to promise you that the replica watch will last 3 years or the underpaid Chinese worker that made it that day did an oopsie. It's $500 made in shitty workshop conditions. Wear it until it breaks then toss it and buy a new one. Otherwise if you want a 100% guarantee buy the $15000 gen

Frekko

12/4/23
Budapest
I think you're misunderstanding my post friend. I'm not telling you to NOT wear your watch and leave it on a winder. I'm suggesting that when you are not wearing it (e.g. you're wearing other watches) that you can put it in a winder so you dont have to worry about the watch stopping.

But as you've said, you bought it from CTime - plenty of other members have their DD3285s with no issues however they set the watch, so just wear it and enjoy. I think you're worrying too much about this.
I don't think you understand my response. I'm not going to buy a watch winder just so I don't have to set my watch as often, and I don't necessarily wear it once a week—I have about 8 watches. The point of my message is that if I hadn't asked, I would be setting it backward all the time. If it's the 26th now and I need to set it to the 23rd, why would I turn it forward so much, especially if it has this function? If the watch truly can't perform this function, even though many members here say theirs can, then why can't mine? Moreover, if this is the case, it should be communicated before I order. You see, it's all about honesty(and trust), especially in the case of a TD. It's in their name and should be in their service too.

domiffm

handsome
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
The Office Love GIF

Frekko

12/4/23
Budapest
It's a replica. It's $500. Set it backward if you want or not. It could break wrong if you sneeze at it wrong. Wear it and enjoy it and if it breaks it breaks. Noone is going to promise you that the replica watch will last 3 years or the underpaid Chinese worker that made it that day did an oopsie. It's $500 made in shitty workshop conditions. Wear it until it breaks then toss it and buy a new one. Otherwise if you want a 100% guarantee buy the $15000 gen
Sorry, but what don't you understand? All I asked for was to be informed before I ordered that this function doesn't work. Isn't that fair? That's all I requested. As a Trusted Dealer, this is to be expected. If they don't tell me and I don't ask, then it's sure to break soon. But the real question wasn't about that; it was about someone being told that this function works for this model, but in my watches, it doesn't anymore... I didn't ask for much, just honest communication. You're paying $500-600 into the blind world (you dont know them) because there are a few TDs you trust. Oh, and one more thing—when they sell it to you, they don't tell you it's a Chinese piece of junk that will only work for a few years. I also have replicas that have been working fine for 4 years.

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
It’s luck of the draw. I have watches that are ten plus years old. Given that though, most are uncomplicated, 2824s. That movement is so great! I had one GMT that was ETA based that one day started acting crazy. I tried having it fixed but it couldnt be successfully. It seems to me that if the movement is complicated, the higher the chance it will develop issues. I understand that with my current one but I continue to try to enjoy it

Reaps

-
25/9/22
You had people multiple times told you it can be set backwards. You just ignored those posts? What do you want? The 3285 works like gen and can be set backwards but I will not guarantee you anything about reliability when you set it backwards.

You also dont understand what I'm trying to convey about reliability. But sure.

Whatever. Keep overthinking it.

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
If it has a dd3285 movement it should be ok, just be glad you dont have a Breitling Navitimer Gen! To change the date on those is a real pain! You need to move the hour and minute hand between 2000 hr and 0000 hours and then back until you get the correct date you want, this the reason I have a 4 watch winder box in the safe!.
There should never really be a need to set it backwards unless travelling east to west perhaps, if you are not going to wear it for a few days you could store it in a dust free and dry place with the crown out and a post it of the date and time you left it on then its easy to only set forward. The newer movements should be more robust than tha older versions that basically had and extra gear added for the GMT function and excessive use often crapped it out.