• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean GMT-II Pepsi updated bezel insert V2/V2s review and comparison

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
gone for good :cool:
Along with some material on the lugs too with those chamfers! Looks like a Tudor or poss just a DJ with a GMT bezel and internals. Im not sure on it but it doesnt look all that bad either! What did you do grind it all down and polish it all up?

Mkempes

Patience you must have my young Padawan
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/12/23
EU
It's a homage to the 6542.

You're right. CG were grinded off and lugs chamfered. It's a watchsmith's work, not mine.

Last edited:

Fusible

5/5/22
It's a homage to the 6542.

You're right. CG were grinded off and lugs chamfered. It's a watchsmith's work, not mine.
Sad Feelings GIF

Reaps

-
25/9/22
The easiest tell for the V1 is that blue. It's the best blue out of the 3 bezels i've seen. Also the ketchup red is a dead giveaway lmao

Reactions: diamonds

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
which V is this?
V3 if we are still sticking by V as the version of the Bezel only! the darker the colours the later the bezel insert mimics the latest release from RO, as I put in my post RO dont do "versions" they just improve the process of making the inserts the watch is the same.

The rep world V might mean just the bezel inserts but the early reps and cheaper pepsi used the vr3186 and not the DD3285 which is more in keeping with the gens so this could also mean V2 where V1 had the older movement.

I would get so hung up on it as it depends which age gen color you prefer, they have 3 different shades going from pastel to more vibrant which also was a single red ceramic insert with a dipped ceramic coat for the blue, hence the UV glow, then the latest that is out is the much darker more navy blue and darker red which is the same colours as being advertised on the RO site and what the 23 version appears to come with, this in the RO world is being referred to as v3 and maybe in the rep world v3 it could be but maybe its not a V at all its just the latest insert on the watch as close to the latest gen colors

If you get one that is lighter in color and more vibrant as lonw as it will glow under a UV then it would jut look like a slightly older version of a Pepsi, (not as it they are that old as it was only released in 2018 anc chances of get a gen back then was less than getting a date the with the TS! and even to this day hard to comeby unless from a grey dealer (prices have dropped somewhat now)

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
Would't really call that a riddle :LOL: That burning orange/red will be forever stuck on my eyes since I owned the v1
It does also depend on the lighting as the cermaic will cange with different lights which is probably why this thread is so long and the same questions keep being asked.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
V1 V2 V3, these are all my QC pics, imo they are not really that hard to tell apart.

My favorite is hands down v3. V1 had an orange look that no gen has. I personally don’t like the pale pastel colors of the v2, so the v3 is perfect for me.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
V1 V2 V3, these are all my QC pics, imo they are not really that hard to tell apart.

My favorite is hands down v3. V1 had an orange look that no gen has. I personally don’t like the pale pastel colors of the v2, so the v3 is perfect for me.

Easy to tell which one is which when they're all in the same lighting.

Reactions: Hussain1986

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15

If this is
v1
v2
v3
Then the V2 on this pic look closest to the original launch model gen where the blue was more purple and the red more pink and pastel
The V1 look more like the V2 on the gen releases where its less pastel and more vibrant
The V3 Looks like the current RO offering and I think the best combo but thats not to say the other are not as accurate they are just closer the to gen inserts around earlier is all.

This same conversation is had over on the Ro forums also, its just the rep forum seem to be hung up on it being close to gen, but which gen are you trying to get close too as they have differences too! This post has plenty of info in it but the saem questions seem to keep being asked instead of reading the posts and learning all the other good stuff it comes with.

Here is an extract from a post on the RO forum about the same topic, so the question that keep being asked on here "which version is it?" is relative to the verisons released by RO too

Long Answer - In an ever long search for perfection, Rolex has experimented with dyes for the ceramic bezel. As such, the Pepsi is known to have several bezel color formations, with each version commonly referred in the community as a "Mark" - you will see this mentioned online in the short hand as Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3, etc.

See picture below for the purported three* versions of the Pepsi...note the asterisk. See note below on the Mark 3...

The Mark 1 Pepsi is the original Pepsi that came out in 2018. It is the one that stands out the most because the ceramic blue and red colors that are the absolute lightest - some will even say the red is a pinkish tone to it. In the picture below, it is the first one to the left in the first picture below. Generally speaking, initial run Pepsi's in 2018 are Mark 1 bezels.

The Mark 2 Pepsi was a change on the original Pepsi and notably darkened the color of the blue and red. In the first picture below, it is the one in the middle. Mark 2 Pepsi's allegedly came out in 2019, no one really knows when the exact switch happened.

The Mark 3 Pepsi Bezel is arguably the one in production today. It is a darker shade of red and blue, easily the darkest one. If it purported to be the third watch in the first picture below, the one to the right. Some even say the numbers are a bitter fatter on this Mark. Not really sure when the Mark 3 came out, but the first rumours of a Mark 3 were in late 2019, see this thread here where it was first mentioned.

Keep note there is some division among enthusiasts who claim there is no such thing as a Mark 3 bezel, and it is simply a Mark 2 with a minor dye change or batch changes and it is simply our minds playing tricks on us. I can say that you definitely can make any Mark look like another with the lighting choice and angle. Many think this "mark" stuff is nonsense and they have a point, without anything from Rolex themselves, it is all made up internet stuff outside of the very obvious change from a Mk1 to Mk2.

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
I should ask this question: what are the specs?

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
Gen or rep?

Tricky from that distance which is kinda one of the points at a distance or ven sat next to someone unless fixated on the wathc it would be hard to tell for a novice and still pretty hard to tell for any one on here who knows their stuff! Id go as far to say that most AD's probably couldnt call it either as they have probably seen less than any of us have and spent even less time closely looking at the details!

The one in this pic look to have a good insert but nor sure on the end link gaps for a gen the lower ones look like i could get a feeler guage in there! Not sur on the crown guards either, Also not sure why its on an Oyster as that has only just been a thing for the gen as Jubilee was the way forward on them. Could well have swapped it for an Oyster but it would have to have been a second hand one or aftermarket as RO wont sell you one direct if the original watch didnt come with it! Oyster looks a little "worn too"
Still looks pretty sweet on the oyster