• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean GMT-II Pepsi updated bezel insert V2/V2s review and comparison

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Said it a million times just pick whichever one you like best, some people even like the v1 which is wrong.

Gen owners and even most pepsi owners dont even know there's 3 variants of the Pepsi bezel

If you LIKE the look of the v3 swap it out.

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
Said it a million times just pick whichever one you like best, some people even like the v1 which is wrong.

Gen owners and even most pepsi owners dont even know there's 3 variants of the Pepsi bezel

If you LIKE the look of the v3 swap it out.
There are 4 ;)

• Haha
Reactions: mcboom and Reaps

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I've posted pics of my gen over 7 times. No one ever figured it out. Goes to prove that the noobs are insane.
I think most newbies have a fear they'll be called out... and have probably never handled a gen, which is why they're obsessed with the idea of "which one is closest to gen"

I have handed my Clean w/ Xing Bezel (the one with the uneven plat plating on numerals) to multiple gen owners of the Pepsi, none of them could tell, none of them cared, all of them didn't even know what variant of the Pepsi they owned....

domiffm

handsome
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
IMG-9209.jpg

IMG-9210.jpg

MrButterfield

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
8/12/14
I think most newbies have a fear they'll be called out... and have probably never handled a gen, which is why they're obsessed with the idea of "which one is closest to gen"

I have handed my Clean w/ Xing Bezel (the one with the uneven plat plating on numerals) to multiple gen owners of the Pepsi, none of them could tell, none of them cared, all of them didn't even know what variant of the Pepsi they owned....
It’s said on here with some regularity, and it’s 100% accurate, that the biggest giveaway that a watch is fake is the person wearing it. But even then, no one really knows.

I’m acquaintances with a fairly wealthy orthodontist who sports a rep Rolex and NEVER gets questions about it. I also know two middle class folks who worked and saved for years to buy gen Rolexes, and others in our social group have quietly asked me (knowing I’m a “watch person”) if I thought they were real.

The funny thing is that no one actually knows if any of them are gen or rep just seeing them on someone’s wrist from 2ft away, even me. I only know because I am friendly with these people, and they know I have no judgement about rep vs gen.

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
I wouldn't
it depends on which gen you are looking at as they have and almost confusing range of different colour variations with the latest, late 22 model being much darker on both and less vibrant, its hard to tell as i dont think RO as being touted as different from each other just natural evolution of the process.

Its hard to establish if the rep factories are doing the same ad just improving the ceramic process hence they keep gettign better in terms or uv and number infill so much so that its hard to tell without going all macro.

If the Reps are getting better in the same jumps as RO are getting better at the ceramic inserts then its hard to works out if the rep you are buying has the insert correct to the latest offering RO are putting out with the darker colours or if they have just got the process more accurate and mirroring Rolex and all the ones before are actually not incorrect (well some were) but are actually more period correct colours based on the RO insert they were trying to mimic based on the age of the gen versions

It hard to map them as all this talk of V's makes it a little confusing,

Eg V1 insert colours closest to gen, but which age gen the more pinkish and purple colours was similar to that of the first issue gens

V2 insert is this trying mirror the colours of the early release gens which are the more pink and purple colour in which case the ones ive seen fail as the first issues RO were much more pastel colours, i suspect that the V2 is mimic of the 2020 RO release where the insert seemed to be more vibrant rosso red and stronger blue, which means the rep v2 bezel insert is closer to gen for sure but not perhaps the first release gen.

V3 insert from the looks of things is a darker set of colours which is much closer the the late 22 RO insert which is much darker on both colours overall, so the V3 is the closest to gen but only the gen that is on release from RO new at the present date (im sure it may change later too unless they are happy)
V3s might be very similar in the later colour formats but with a better technique allowing the UV glow to be much more vibrant.

Even the gen community struggle with identifying which models have the different colour schemes but on both rep and gen it would appear that the colours of the insert have naturally progressed into darker shades almost at the same time.

I would guess that as is the gen market the older V1 rep inserts would naturally gravitate towards being and older model so as this is very similar to the gens its not really a big thing to worry about unless you happens to gout clubbing and stand in UV as the earlier reps didnt glow all red.

IF the older V1 inserts came with the DD3285 movement (mainly for the accuracy of the winding hands in counter clockwise as per the gens) or a VR3186 I should think if looked after they should last a long time and maybe have cult second hand market as an older Pepsi model as the gens do, which would make it that more believe able as the prices will likely come down and more will be available on the open market making the likely hood of having one more possible than it is now unless you are loaded

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
It’s said on here with some regularity, and it’s 100% accurate, that the biggest giveaway that a watch is fake is the person wearing it. But even then, no one really knows.

I’m acquaintances with a fairly wealthy orthodontist who sports a rep Rolex and NEVER gets questions about it. I also know two middle class folks who worked and saved for years to buy gen Rolexes, and others in our social group have quietly asked me (knowing I’m a “watch person”) if I thought they were real.

The funny thing is that no one actually knows if any of them are gen or rep just seeing them on someone’s wrist from 2ft away, even me. I only know because I am friendly with these people, and they know I have no judgement about rep vs gen.
Yep totally agree, its hard unless hanging around with jewellers but if oneday you are wearing something nice but maybe older and less flash you can have a few of those that you have built up over time, or if you have the right job it wouldnt be questioned, its also best to say you got it second hand as its more humble and more likely than getting anything new! Its also is questionable unless driving and aston on your way to the Sunseeker 46 to sport something like a full gold DD or GMT or SUB or and PP Nautilus for that matter, if you are an oil baron or Tony start sure but if you are a middle manger somewhere its a bit of a tell, not to people who dont know you they wouldnt know so much. The RM's i do like but almost impossible to pull off unless part of the saudi royal family or a top flight F1 driver or Sports star.

The stainless models or 2 tone are much easier to believe in general.

In all fairness i have had both and people dont really question it if they ask is it real i just say nah bought down the market and then let them spend the rest of the night guessing whilst i finish me gin and tonic!

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
it depends on which gen you are looking at as they have and almost confusing range of different colour variations with the latest, late 22 model being much darker on both and less vibrant, its hard to tell as i dont think RO as being touted as different from each other just natural evolution of the process.

Its hard to establish if the rep factories are doing the same ad just improving the ceramic process hence they keep gettign better in terms or uv and number infill so much so that its hard to tell without going all macro.

If the Reps are getting better in the same jumps as RO are getting better at the ceramic inserts then its hard to works out if the rep you are buying has the insert correct to the latest offering RO are putting out with the darker colours or if they have just got the process more accurate and mirroring Rolex and all the ones before are actually not incorrect (well some were) but are actually more period correct colours based on the RO insert they were trying to mimic based on the age of the gen versions

It hard to map them as all this talk of V's makes it a little confusing,

Eg V1 insert colours closest to gen, but which age gen the more pinkish and purple colours was similar to that of the first issue gens

V2 insert is this trying mirror the colours of the early release gens which are the more pink and purple colour in which case the ones ive seen fail as the first issues RO were much more pastel colours, i suspect that the V2 is mimic of the 2020 RO release where the insert seemed to be more vibrant rosso red and stronger blue, which means the rep v2 bezel insert is closer to gen for sure but not perhaps the first release gen.

V3 insert from the looks of things is a darker set of colours which is much closer the the late 22 RO insert which is much darker on both colours overall, so the V3 is the closest to gen but only the gen that is on release from RO new at the present date (im sure it may change later too unless they are happy)
V3s might be very similar in the later colour formats but with a better technique allowing the UV glow to be much more vibrant.

Even the gen community struggle with identifying which models have the different colour schemes but on both rep and gen it would appear that the colours of the insert have naturally progressed into darker shades almost at the same time.

I would guess that as is the gen market the older V1 rep inserts would naturally gravitate towards being and older model so as this is very similar to the gens its not really a big thing to worry about unless you happens to gout clubbing and stand in UV as the earlier reps didnt glow all red.

IF the older V1 inserts came with the DD3285 movement (mainly for the accuracy of the winding hands in counter clockwise as per the gens) or a VR3186 I should think if looked after they should last a long time and maybe have cult second hand market as an older Pepsi model as the gens do, which would make it that more believe able as the prices will likely come down and more will be available on the open market making the likely hood of having one more possible than it is now unless you are loaded
I have a gen and never wear it. I use my V2 with a Prof Xtal. No one has ever questioned me. You guys over do it .

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
I have a gen and never wear it. I use my V2 with a Prof Xtal. No one has ever questioned me. You guys over do it .
That’s what I think too the colors a different on the gens depending on the age so it’s a hard for anyone to comment on the colour profile as long as it close and even if you are sat next to someone with one chance of them being identical unless bought at same time from a dealer is rare. The 16710 has loads of different color inserts and never questioned if anything more want the older faded Pepsi n coke ones

crazy.henry

Horology Curious
28/5/24

Here is my V3 from previous batch. Please feedback. It looks quite different from current bezel people uploading. Looks like clean change their color in current batch?

Reactions: TerryRobot

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15

Here is my V3 from previous batch. Please feedback. It looks quite different from current bezel people uploading. Looks like clean change their color in current batch?
Here is yours next to a webshot from the Rolex site with the latest offering they have.
The colours still depend on lighting and also how good your own eyes can see the various colors too!
Yours looks pretty close to me to the current gen RO model, but if held next to any earlier releases from RO or REPs then the colours would look much darker and less in your face in comparison to the 2018 release model and the 2019/20 production run. Im sure this will change againg over the next few years too unless they decide to stop making it. (Which at present is not the case, as some other post kicking around it stating) I got the pic form the Rolex website today 28/05/24.
I wouldnt worry too much about it very few people will be able to pick up on it, unless you happen to be sitting next to 3 other guys who have each bought one that show the different colors that have come out of OR in since 2018, which is unlikely to say the least.