• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Submariner Series Review (Incl. Comparison Pics vs Gen)

ussdassein

USD Plating
Supporting Vendor
19/2/16
Molotow mod will give it the desired bright effect and won't be dull in lower lighting conditions. It actually looks really good, but at direct light it is more of a silver color, noticeable if you compare it to gen or even CF. Yet still not a single person on the street will call you out shouting "hey, that guy wears a fake watch! Look at the bezel, it's silver, not platinum!" :D

I did it on my Noob V8, and wore it for more than a year without issues, but if you are looking for the closest thing to the real deal, ussdassein 's real platinum mod is what you need.

Here's a photo of my Molotow mod.

Thank you for your kind words :)

Reactions: tom86

Manuel.b

Renowned Member
15/1/21
Italia
Molotow mod will give it the desired bright effect and won't be dull in lower lighting conditions. It actually looks really good, but at direct light it is more of a silver color, noticeable if you compare it to gen or even CF. Yet still not a single person on the street will call you out shouting "hey, that guy wears a fake watch! Look at the bezel, it's silver, not platinum!" :D

I did it on my Noob V8, and wore it for more than a year without issues, but if you are looking for the closest thing to the real deal, ussdassein 's real platinum mod is what you need.

Here's a photo of my Molotow mod.

Well, all in all, it seems like a good result.
Intrigued, I went to see the works of ussdassein and they are very nice.
So you were satisfied with the durability of your "molotow mod"?

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
What ever happened to spongebob? He also did very gen like platinum coatings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom86

Divers only
Supporter
Certified
28/7/19
EU, UAE
Well, all in all, it seems like a good result.
Intrigued, I went to see the works of ussdassein and they are very nice.
So you were satisfied with the durability of your "molotow mod"?

Well, I did not swim with it, or washed, and it kept up quite well.. Still have that insert somewhere in the drawer. The issue is, that after a certain time you'll want to go ahead and change it, as you know it is not the right color.. Then you get a CF bezel, and you're happy with it for a while. Then it starts fading, becomes dull and you get upset.

And that is the moment when you:
1. Jump on the franken train and get a gen bezel
2. Go for the platinum modding.
3. Throw the whole thing in the watch box and wear the steel bezel Daytona.. That thing doesn't fade.. :giggle:

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Well, I did not swim with it, or washed, and it kept up quite well.. Still have that insert somewhere in the drawer. The issue is, that after a certain time you'll want to go ahead and change it, as you know it is not the right color.. Then you get a CF bezel, and you're happy with it for a while. Then it starts fading, becomes dull and you get upset.

And that is the moment when you:
1. Jump on the franken train and get a gen bezel
2. Go for the platinum modding.
3. Throw the whole thing in the watch box and wear the steel bezel Daytona.. That thing doesn't fade.. :giggle:

The Clean V4 insert seems to be holding up better than V3 at least for now. On the first page Li wrote also that they changed something to make it brighter.

Has not faded yet but let's see as more time goes by.

All things considering it is actually a V4 LN insert could be V3 as well as no info on that if the LN has an updated insert (only LV in Li's post).

tom86

Divers only
Supporter
Certified
28/7/19
EU, UAE
The Clean V4 insert seems to be holding up better than V3 at least for now. On the first page Li wrote also that they changed something to make it brighter.

Has not faded yet but let's see as more time goes by.

All things considering it is actually a V4 LN insert could be V3 as well as no info on that if the LN has an updated insert (only LV in Li's post).

I got an insert from a VSF 116610LN, which is (as far as I know) the latest CF (V4 ?). It does fade a little. Not as much as previous ones, but in lower light conditions it is slightly noticeable. Although it is still the best rep insert by far OOTB, under sunlight it is brilliant.

Would be good to hear others' opinions about this as well.

Reactions: Kalev007

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I got an insert from a VSF 116610LN, which is (as far as I know) the latest CF (V4 ?). It does fade a little. Not as much as previous ones, but in lower light conditions it is slightly noticeable. Although it is still the best rep insert by far OOTB, under sunlight it is brilliant.

Would be good to hear others' opinions about this as well.

I think VSF does their own coating they just use the insert from Clean so holding up / brightness can be different between Clean and VSF subs.

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
For the 116LN VSF used their own inserts from the beginning, don't know if they changed meanwhile but imo still looks the same.. For 116LV they used the clean. On 126 subs it's confirmed that they also use clean on the LN

xelbon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/20
Hello, I just received my clean sub, I noticed that the bezel is not very firm, but actually loose (especially on the 6 position) and makes a weird clicking noise when pressed.
Did you have the same issue? Should I deal with the dealer? Any known fix?

[video]https://mega.nz/file/lwsWVCaR#zcqRsm-2ODhymIf3f_-6Rfdag6NIfuprYUqi102y3SQ[/video]

wildhunter84

30/9/20
Hello, I just received my clean sub, I noticed that the bezel is not very firm, but actually loose (especially on the 6 position) and makes a weird clicking noise when pressed.

[video]https://mega.nz/file/lwsWVCaR#zcqRsm-2ODhymIf3f_-6Rfdag6NIfuprYUqi102y3SQ[/video]

just tested mine, no such issue

wyblacktree

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/2/21
For anyone looking to purchase a No-Date is it better to get VSF or Clean? With the new 3130 out it seems like a good time to upgrade. Thanks in advance.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09

Your crystal retainer may not be pressed down properly or evenly.

xelbon

23/11/20
Your crystal retainer may not be pressed down properly or evenly.

that's probably the case. the vendor said it is normal even in gen, but i doubt. how to fix this issue? should I disassemble it and mount it back?

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
You will need to remove the bezel and you’ll need a crystal press with the right size die for the retainer. Once you press it back down press your bezel back on then reinstall
The insert ( insert should be removed ) sometimes you can just leave the insert in and press the whole bezel back on with your hands there’s not much resistance

Reactions: AG91

eltyrannos

18/10/11
b21b6c71a43813c6c40c144bfe38de83.jpg

3bc307394308356a497cd42c52de7ad0.jpg

bf17576dc51657811fbf3ad1521eaebe.jpg

0f3060093d2a15d5f00202b49907ec3b.jpg

55173397f38592f1ad70a987f7f7e911.jpg

bef4515ad3f26776ef155f1c6e2912fd.png

115c23154a3a6a3ffb3a777a8e93ebdf.png

7aa51f31bb9ba249bbf572e7f61c2fad.jpg

Hope these pics help in high light to see gold color and dial color . Also I have put so you can see lume and rehaut. It’s a clean factory LB

Thanks for sharing mate, I think on my side I'm going to pull trigger on the 116613 LN version, which seems to be really closed to the Gen one.
I wanted the LB, but in my opinion the dial is really different than the gen one, the sunburst effect is far away from the gen, I have always been disapointed with replica sunburst dial ( Hulk, Datejust blue), under direct sunlights or artifical lights they look horrible with this streaking effects..

Giellea

Patron
Certified
17/5/18
Italy
I will combine the two versions to create a hybrid:
Case, glass, movement and date wheel Vsf. Dial, hands, bezel, crown and bracelet Clean.
I am still undecided about the insert, maybe I will choose Vsf.

I will post more photos of the dial in direct sunlight, if you need some photos in particular please ask me.

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Wow. Thanks for the pics.

Love to see the SEL when you got clean bracelet on vsf case. Thats probably a gamble. Either a good match or a missed.
I feel that vsf gold tone is too yellowish. So not possible to use it and gotta stick with clean gold. The crown is also too big n thick on vsf.

Reactions: Giellea