• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calatrava 5226G

oceaon

Lost time is never found again.
Banned
27/1/22
US
no issues playing. Finished it today. He’s working on my 228239 and shipping back stateside
Did he mention taking the back off at all? Or share any photos with you after the plating process? I just hit up Nik to find out his magical solution lol

Last edited:

RH1

Known Member
Certified
10/5/13
Did he mention taking the back off at all? Or share any photos with you after the plating process? I just hit up Nik to find out his magical solution lol
We just had a quick text exchange. I haven’t seen photos but he said it was easy. I shared this thread with him. @Nikz19 mind sharing photos if you get a chance? If not I’ll post when received.

flyingdoc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/22
Thanks to everyone for helping me with my decision. I just received my QC pictures and greenlighted it. Am excited how it will look on the wrist!

For all thinking about it some QC of the PPF version:
IMG20230208193753.jpg

IMG20230208193939.jpg

Reactions: APjumbo

oceaon

Banned
27/1/22
US
We just had a quick text exchange. I haven’t seen photos but he said it was easy. I shared this thread with him. @Nikz19 mind sharing photos if you get a chance? If not I’ll post when received.
I spoke to Nik this morning, and he told me, "Yes, you can open it. You need to make a die - then modify one of the crystal press dies in order to push the case out while holding the lugs." - After speaking to Jim Flan this morning about this solution, he said he is unable to do it, so I am just going to order another PPF and send it directly to Nik to have him plate it. I will sell my unplated version once I get the new one.

RH1

Known Member
Certified
10/5/13
I spoke to Nik this morning, and he told me, "Yes, you can open it. You need to make a die - then modify one of the crystal press dies in order to push the case out while holding the lugs." - After speaking to Jim Flan this morning about this solution, he said he is unable to do it, so I am just going to order another PPF and send it directly to Nik to have him plate it. I will sell my unplated version once I get the new one.
Yeah there are a lot of reviews worth reading on Flan.. not surprising they couldn’t

oceaon

Banned
27/1/22
US
Yeah there are a lot of reviews worth reading on Flan.. not surprising they couldn’t
I have literally never had any issues with Jim. People have their own experiences, but I have never had anything but good things to say about him. I have used him more than a dozen times on 20+ watches without issue. He keeps it short and sweet in email, is not up for conversation, and usually sticks to the easy stuff, but he hasn't ever done me wrong. And to that point, I am not going to bad mouth him based on another opinion.

Reactions: Pinion Minion

GenTLe

Known Member
18/6/14
Hi guys, I'm also waiting the 5226G from PPF :)
One questions from those that already have it: what is the strap size at lugs and buckle, please?
Mine will come on the black one but I'd like to have a brown one too.

Thanks, GenTLe

Chris8535

Known Member
29/3/16
One questions from those that already have it: what is the strap size at lugs and buckle, please?

Thanks, GenTLe
20/16

Reactions: GenTLe

oceaon

Banned
27/1/22
US

Thanks, GenTLe
My HKF came with a 20/16, but the PPF came with a 20/15, which actually feels quite nice. But you can check with your TD to validate that. I ended up putting my PPF on a custom 20/16

Reactions: GenTLe

Pedalo

Meep meep meep
7/5/22
Australia
I got mine today and love it. May I ask those that have had it plated / customised if they would mind posting a pic up? I would like to see how different it looks although I guess its more of a natural light / reflection thing.

GenTLe

Known Member
18/6/14
My HKF came with a 20/16, but the PPF came with a 20/15, which actually feels quite nice. But you can check with your TD to validate that. I ended up putting my PPF on a custom 20/16
Actually I got it and it's a PPF and it's a 16mm buckle :)

And, for whoever wanted it on leather and got it on black canvas, this (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004013932057.html) fits perfectly:
S237f8f7160214167baa4dd7afd437049N.jpg

Here a couple of pics of mine:
3yLSl4.jpg

3yLGaj.jpg

3yLfJ1.jpg

Only thing I don't like is the noisy rotor... And this case is kind of impossible to open properly without special dedicated tools, so I'll not touch it unless absolutely necessary...
Those damn factories... What an effort to put a micro drop of oil in the rotor bearing uhm?

yngchrn

🍔🍟🍔🍟
Certified
23/10/12
Actually I got it and it's a PPF and it's a 16mm buckle :)

And, for whoever wanted it on leather and got it on black canvas, this (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004013932057.html) fits perfectly:
S237f8f7160214167baa4dd7afd437049N.jpg

Here a couple of pics of mine:
3yLSl4.jpg

3yLGaj.jpg

3yLfJ1.jpg

Only thing I don't like is the noisy rotor... And this case is kind of impossible to open properly without special dedicated tools, so I'll not touch it unless absolutely necessary...
Those damn factories... What an effort to put a micro drop of oil in the rotor bearing uhm?
yup is damn loud

Chris8535

Known Member
29/3/16
Got my PPF today. At first it feels a bit thicker than the HKF, but after wearing it for an hour the case is superior. The domed glass really takes the cake as the key high quality item, but the thickness over the HKF does feel very slightly disappointing because the hobnail was made bigger to take up the space.

I didn't get the leather strap I ordered yet :( but maybe I'll ask Puretime for it and have to wait again. However surprisingly the sail fly strap is quite good compared to others I've had in the past which fell apart immediately. This one is more synthetic.

Coloring is much better, not perfect, but close enough to no longer matter. Dial texture is a bit too programmatic, you can see the noise pattern. However the coloring on the dial of the subtle sunburst is dead on now.

Overall I loved the HKF in spite of its glaring flaws, so with this much improve PPF I expect to love it even more and have a hard time taking it off. Lets see!

Chris8535

Known Member
29/3/16
Well here are some thoughts after a solid week on the wrist:

Overall it is a very high quality build. Hands, movement, date and wind don’t have hr jankiness of your average rep and fell really really good. Like gen good.

Dial is about as good as we can get with a rep. The grain pattern is to pixel generated and not Bayesian random enough. You can make out the pattern if you look closely.

The case is too thick and large. The HKF actually has a slight edge here where the case is both thinner and smaller overall including lugs. I’m actually struggling to believe this is 40mm.

The domed crystal I think is wrong, and the hkf had the correct flat crystal.

The straps are shockingly high quality for a rep and I guess they upped their game here since the straps are a part of the watch design really.

Overall this is much better than the HKF most due to dial improvements and the hkf janky movement. However not everything is better. PPF the clear pick though for sure.

oceaon

Banned
27/1/22
US
Well here are some thoughts after a solid week on the wrist:

Overall it is a very high quality build. Hands, movement, date and wind don’t have hr jankiness of your average rep and fell really really good. Like gen good.

Dial is about as good as we can get with a rep. The grain pattern is to pixel generated and not Bayesian random enough. You can make out the pattern if you look closely.

The case is too thick and large. The HKF actually has a slight edge here where the case is both thinner and smaller overall including lugs. I’m actually struggling to believe this is 40mm.

The domed crystal I think is wrong, and the hkf had the correct flat crystal.

The straps are shockingly high quality for a rep and I guess they upped their game here since the straps are a part of the watch design really.

Overall this is much better than the HKF most due to dial improvements and the hkf janky movement. However not everything is better. PPF the clear pick though for sure.

Chris, I have to agree with your overall assessment. There are NUMEROUS things I love about the PPF over HK, but there were still a few things I really like that HK did better. But from an overall perspective, I love the PPF, and it's definitely the one to get for the OOTB best quality. I really hope they do a couple of versions of this one to nail it even more. But if they don't, I am content with the piece as it is.

Reactions: Chris8535

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Chris, I have to agree with your overall assessment. There are NUMEROUS things I love about the PPF over HK, but there were still a few things I really like that HK did better. But from an overall perspective, I love the PPF, and it's definitely the one to get for the OOTB best quality. I really hope they do a couple of versions of this one to nail it even more. But if they don't, I am content with the piece as it is.

looking forward to seeing your white gold plated version- I bet it's going to be spectacular!