• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calatrava 5226G

oceaon

Lost time is never found again.
Banned
27/1/22
US
How was your process with Nikz? How much did it cost and how long did the process take ?
The process with Nikz is always fine. For EU/UK peeps I am sure the process is awesome as he does really great work. He plates in a day or so, but the cost is a bit steep at 360 euros or so for plating.

The conversion rate is a bitch most of the time. The ultimate problem with dealing with Nik is sending and receiving to/from Italy. It's a colossal pain in the ass most of the time. He is looking for a new shipper as UPS to the US always seems to get stuck in Germany for a week or two before release. One of my pieces made it to Italy in a week but then sat in Customs for two months, and then they returned it, which took another month. I have now changed the way I work with him due to that. I will have him buy all components new on his side to build from and bill me for it, and I will sell whatever piece I am holding instead of sending him the base.

zfa

Horology Curious
13/1/22
I know we don't normally 'do QC' but what do people think of the '10' on this PPF I'm in the process of getting:

Many seem to think it's a quirk of the crystal on thiw watch but example looks quite a bit off in the first pic. The lume pic not suite so bad.

I'm not normally fussy about these minor misalignments but if it looks noticeably worse than others doing the rounds I'd appreicate a bit of help from anyone who's got one in hand before I GL a dud.

RH1

Known Member
Certified
10/5/13
Got mine back today, priorities have shifted as I was able to pick up two gens I am wearing. Don't see this getting wrist time. Looks great! but am going to be selling.

Reactions: oceaon

IanGirard

Horology Curious
24/2/17
Looking at the PPF version of this watch as the first rep to add to my gen collection.

Three questions for the experts:
Rep vs Gen on the black vs. charcoal dial for those who have seen both?
Thoughts on timing for when the next version of this watch may come out from PPF or another desirable factory?
Presumably no vendor option for a PPK with an Sellita base movement on this? (Special locking back has me thinking about this.).

IanGirard

Horology Curious
24/2/17
Looking at the PPF version of this watch as the first rep to add to my gen collection.

Three questions for the experts:
Rep vs Gen on the black vs. charcoal dial for those who have seen both?
Thoughts on timing for when the next version of this watch may come out from PPF or another desirable factory?
Presumably no vendor option for a PPK with an Sellita base movement on this? (Special locking back has me thinking about this.).
I can't edit my own post but can reply to pls. ignore the question about Sellita movement as I have been told that is not an option for this watch.

ralphoi

Hurricane Hublot
Supporter
3/1/10
I think the PPF is still looking like king of the hill. Did anyone see any detailed PPF vs Gen comparison? I've searched far and wide, but seems the 5226 isnt too common in the real world anyway!

QQ0

Known Member
19/2/23
EU
I think the PPF is still looking like king of the hill. Did anyone see any detailed PPF vs Gen comparison? I've searched far and wide, but seems the 5226 isnt too common in the real world anyway!
I saw a gen one that is not the 5226 but have the same dial background, the dial have a date, month, moon phrase.

the gen dial texture is very detailed and the color plays with the light. The PPF for me did a very good job within the expectation that it is a unpopular rep.

Chris8535

Known Member
29/3/16
I saw a gen one that is not the 5226 but have the same dial background, the dial have a date, month, moon phrase.

the gen dial texture is very detailed and the color plays with the light. The PPF for me did a very good job within the expectation that it is an unpopular rep.
I’ve played with the gen and thought about purchasing. Glancingly the PPF is 95% of the gen. Close examination it’s like 80%.

But I decided no one cares and it’s an ultra ultra ULTRA rare piece that I will likely never see in the wild even in a rich big city. So I didn’t care to go gen.

Chris8535

Known Member
29/3/16
I’ve played with the gen and thought about purchasing. Glancingly the PPF is 95% of the gen. Close examination it’s like 80%.

But I decided no one cares and it’s an ultra ultra ULTRA rare piece that I will likely never see in the wild even in a rich big city. So I didn’t care to go gen.
Also unlike say a A Lange Saxonia that I own gen, there is a nothing technically unique or difficult about the 5226G that makes gen that interesting other than the aesthetics.

Reactions: Pinion Minion

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Also unlike say a A Lange Saxonia that I own gen, there is a nothing technically unique or difficult about the 5226G that makes gen that interesting other than the aesthetics.
Share a pic of the Saxonia- would love to see it!

oceaon

Lost time is never found again.
Banned
27/1/22
US

I also played with this model in the Miami boutique. I love the piece. I also thought about the gen myself, but I am totally over it lol. I have been wearing the shit out of PPF, and it works for me.

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
I also played with this model in the Miami boutique. I love the piece. I also thought about the gen myself, but I am totally over it lol. I have been wearing the shit out of PPF, and it works for me.
One of your best? Tempting

Reactions: oceaon

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Wait a minute!

I've seen this watch before...

Oh yea that's right, it's the homage watch to the Longines 🤣🤣🤣😂

3jR1TR.jpg
What model? Sharp actually

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
Late to the party. Played with the gen today to decide whether to get this rep. Wears pretty large for 40mm.

Reactions: APjumbo