• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Re-Releases 5-Digit Submariners with VR3135

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
So for all beeing interested: I can confirm that a gen insert will fit with little work, which can be done a safe way.
I'm waiting for a serti dial from raffles. Wonder if it's possible to make it fit.

Last edited:

hollywoodrollie

Getting To Know The Place
12/12/23
So for all beeing interested: I can confirm that a gen insert will fit with little work, which can be done a safe way.
I'm waiting for a serti dial from raffles. Wonder if it's possible to make it fit.
Nice! So how exactly do you does this bottle trick work? Do you just wrap sandpaper around it and twist?
What brand of beer do you recommend (just kidding)?

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
Nice! So how exactly do you does this bottle trick work? Do you just wrap sandpaper around it and twist?
What brand of beer do you recommend (just kidding)?
I put the Inlay down the bottleneck witout stretching it. Then I Wind some tape below the insert to keep it stable and prevent it from beeing pressed down. The I use 600 grit sandpaper to Sand it by hand, always
arround 10 Times from 12 To 15, 15 to 30 and so on, while overlapping bit like @KJ2020 advised.
Check after every round until it fits. I used a Bottle of dark beer, but thats up to what yoj like ;)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Not in a 3135 case bro - for that you need the ETA or DG case. All the Raffles Serti dials are 29mm

BP Case Dial seats
3135 - 27.8mm
ETA - 28.6mm

So even with an ETA case the 29mm dial has to be shaved 0.2mm all the way around. Luckily there's enough space outside the minute tics to not eat into them enough to matter.

16646398270810.jpg

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
Not in a 3135 case bro - for that you need the ETA or DG case. All the Raffles Serti dials are 29mm

BP Case Dial seats
3135 - 27.8mm
ETA - 28.6mm

So even with an ETA case the 29mm dial has to be shaved 0.2mm all the way around. Luckily there's enough space outside the minute tics to not eat into them enough to matter.

16646398270810.jpg
Thats a pity, raffles too big and gen too small ' and I would love to make it a serti :cry:

watcher009

Known Member
12/12/17
When you put the new insert on the bezel, is there a there a certain alignment that needs to be done/set with the bezel teeth? Or you just put the insert on the bezel and it does not matter where it lines up with the bezel teeth?

watcher009

Known Member
12/12/17
I put the Inlay down the bottleneck witout stretching it. Then I Wind some tape below the insert to keep it stable and prevent it from beeing pressed down. The I use 600 grit sandpaper to Sand it by hand, always
arround 10 Times from 12 To 15, 15 to 30 and so on, while overlapping bit like @KJ2020 advised.
Check after every round until it fits. I used a Bottle of dark beer, but thats up to what yoj like ;)
So you hold the bezel down from the top while applying sandpaper from the bottom?

watcher009

Known Member
12/12/17
Yes, you can also put some tape on the top too, so its hold between the two lines of tape.
Thank you. Any insert alignment that need to be done with the bezel when you put the new insert on? The triangle on the insert can sit anywhere in the bezel or it need to align in a certain way with the bezel teeth?

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
Thank you. Any insert alignment that need to be done with the bezel when you put the new insert on? The triangle on the insert can sit anywhere in the bezel or it need to align in a certain way with the bezel teeth?
As you can turn the bezel the insert can sit anywhere.

Reactions: watcher009

hollywoodrollie

Getting To Know The Place
12/12/23
You can also install the insert last, that way you can align it perfectly. That depends on how tight of a fit it is of course.
If you install it on the bezel and then on the case, there's a slight chance it will align at a half click which at least for me, would be pretty annoying :)
In my case, I shaved enough of it so it would go in with minimal friction and then used cement glue to hold it in place. This is how the original BP insert was installed as well.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
An aluminum insert can indeed be half a click (or any percent of a click really) off center with the 60 minute tic mark which I find intolerable.

The easiest way I have found to minimize this is to first temporarily place the top half of the insert into its fully seated bezel on the watch.

Then align the insert triangle bottom tip with the 60 minute tic mark. These types of alignments are slightly difficult for me because I am heavily left eye dominant and wear my eye magnification on my left eye. This always results in me seeing a perfectly centered insert as off center right through the loupe. So I take pics with a level bubble app on my phone edge, then use the pic editing lines to verify what I'm seeing. I know this sounds complicated but like everything if you do it often it becomes second nature. I can do an entire attempted placement - align, level the phone, take the pic, edit the pic, zoom it, rotate it, place the editing lines, etc - in about a minute or two.

Here is an example on a Daytona subdial ring I set. I use dial text as a reference point, leveling it and setting it at the upper screen edge to achieve an even starting point. In this example a line bisecting the 3 and 9 on the subdial ring was supposed to also bisect the 45 minute plus 2 1/2 mini tics mark, according to gen pics.

KDXCQI.jpeg

KDTEHR.jpeg

So I use the same approach with an aluminum insert. Once it's centered as good as I can manage, I both note where it is rotationally with respect to bezel teeth and scallops, and make Sharpie marks on both pieces. Then use these marks when pressing or gluing it permanently. The marks come right off with alchohol when you're done.

Another aid when doing this if using a tape ring like with a ceramic insert is to place a toothpick under the bottom of the insert while doing your alignment (and pics if needed). Then when satisfied press the top in, pull the toothpick out and press the bottom down.

jzhsvs.jpg

Using bezel teeth as an insert placement guide
KKRyjb.jpeg

If all this sounds like too much trouble and way overkill then just press your insert any old way into the bezel and hope for the best. If your click is sloppy and the bezel is tight enough you usually have some minor adjustment capability after the install to make the bezel sit tight with the insert aligned.

But if you've ever experienced an insert half a click off that won't sit aligned no matter what you do and you're sick of rotating it 119 clicks only to find it now off to the right instead of off to the left, this is how to correct that.

Last edited:

TowerOperatorA

Still New
18/8/21

BP Case Dial seats
3135 - 27.8mm
ETA - 28.6mm

16646398270810.jpg
This on is a real beauty? Is it a custom build?

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Does anyone else have an issue with a loose clasp? I feel like the small flip up part doesn’t really secure itself that well.

Any suggestions for tightening it?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Does anyone else have an issue with a loose clasp? I feel like the small flip up part doesn’t really secure itself that well.

Any suggestions for tightening it?
You can bend the fliplock slightly by gently pushing the bottoms of the sides inward. Be careful and don't overdo it - you can create a bow in the top flat part, though that too is correctable as long as it isn't creased. I've used this technique a few times without issue.

KhigWb.jpeg

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
You can bend the fliplock slightly by gently pushing the bottoms of the sides inward. Be careful and don't overdo it - you can create a bow in the top flat part, though that too is correctable as long as it isn't creased. I've used this technique a few times without issue.

KhigWb.jpeg

Thank you KJ! Exactly who I was hoping would respond.

Have you noticed that the divots are very shallow on that piece? I’m guessing it’s better to do the clamp method than try to make the divots deeper?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you KJ! Exactly who I was hoping would respond.

Have you noticed that the divots are very shallow on that piece? I’m guessing it’s better to do the clamp method than try to make the divots deeper?
Bending the sides in has always worked for me, it's a 2 minute fix. I'm not sure lengthening the divots would be easily achievable and even then they are subjected to constant wear.

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Bending the sides in has always worked for me, it's a 2 minute fix. I'm not sure lengthening the divots would be easily achievable and even then they are subjected to constant wear.

Thank you. Always helping us with your expansive knowledge.

Reactions: AllanV