• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Re-Releases 5-Digit Submariners with VR3135

Yellowsubmarine

Supporter
Patron
Certified
17/5/23
UK
Kx7Mj1.jpeg
So tempted for one of these but I don’t know if I can pull it off.

Reaps

Currently a Seadweller Enthusiast
25/9/22
I
So tempted for one of these but I don’t know if I can pull it off.
It's easier to pull if you wear alot of sleeved shirts and stuff. If you're a short sleeved guy then be ready to be loud and proud if you wear this lmao

Reactions: Valaj

xray7

Amateur Rhetoric Wrangler
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Once on the wrist , my friend , your smile will be ear to ear baby! Summer watch secured. White shorts, white t-shirt , disco powder in pocket, sunglasses on, rockstar stubble , wavy beach hair, BP all gold sparking and cold corona in hand.
By disco powder, you mean baby powder for traction on the dance floor, clearly.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
By disco powder, you mean baby powder for traction on the dance floor, clearly.
Absolutely , those dance floor can be treacherous. Traction is key. A nasty spill might damage the BP or create hairlines.

Reactions: wubsub

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
I bought two 16610's from BP lately and have modded both. Here was my experience:

The cases seem to be direct from their previous versions, and maybe even their 2824/2836 line. I say this because there is a quite substantial gap between 3135 movement and the case.

On my first 16610LN, the watch came with a plastic ring around the movement to secure it.

But on my second 16610LV (which i ordered 10 months afterwards) , there were no rings and instead, BP just put some foam tape on the sides of the movement, which did nothing. So definitely there is batch variation in quality at BP.
Even with case screws, the issue is that without a proper fit/secure in the case, how the movement is secured down affects the stem position and thereby the movement. What I mean is, if the case mount screws are tightened with the movement not aligned, it causes the stem to bend and push against something else in the movement. In my case, this reduced the amplitude and raised the beat error.

Furthermore both movements were FILTHY straight from the factory. Fingerprints, dirt and debris everywhere. Ended up taking the whole VR3135 apart and cleaning it and re-oiling. But in the process, I broke the shock absorber spring. I bought several, but Shanghai VR3135 uses a slightly larger KIF spring than old VR, VS, and gen, so none of them fit. Ended up having to just buy a whole new VS3135 and swap movements.

To secure the movement, I used a 0.3~0.4mm thick crystal gasket to shove between the movement and the case, which prevents it from shaking around. No stress on the stem either. Resulted in equal time-grapher readings in/out of the case.

Anyways, BP is good for the price, but seems like big batch variations

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
Eek! That’s not exactly good to know

i was thinking of getting one in a few months. I hope the batches are better then.

Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

25/9/22
Eek! That’s not exactly good to know

i was thinking of getting one in a few months. I hope the batches are better then.
I just held my order for the BP 16618 and switched to a Clean 6 digit two tone....

@johnchpark Thank you for the info

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I bought two 16610's from BP lately and have modded both. Here was my experience:

The cases seem to be direct from their previous versions, and maybe even their 2824/2836 line. I say this because there is a quite substantial gap between 3135 movement and the case.

On my first 16610LN, the watch came with a plastic ring around the movement to secure it.

But on my second 16610LV (which i ordered 10 months afterwards) , there were no rings and instead, BP just put some foam tape on the sides of the movement, which did nothing. So definitely there is batch variation in quality at BP.
Even with case screws, the issue is that without a proper fit/secure in the case, how the movement is secured down affects the stem position and thereby the movement. What I mean is, if the case mount screws are tightened with the movement not aligned, it causes the stem to bend and push against something else in the movement. In my case, this reduced the amplitude and raised the beat error.

Furthermore both movements were FILTHY straight from the factory. Fingerprints, dirt and debris everywhere. Ended up taking the whole VR3135 apart and cleaning it and re-oiling. But in the process, I broke the shock absorber spring. I bought several, but Shanghai VR3135 uses a slightly larger KIF spring than old VR, VS, and gen, so none of them fit. Ended up having to just buy a whole new VS3135 and swap movements.

To secure the movement, I used a 0.3~0.4mm thick crystal gasket to shove between the movement and the case, which prevents it from shaking around. No stress on the stem either. Resulted in equal time-grapher readings in/out of the case.

Was this from a RWI TD? There’s been a few duds in this thread, but they seem to be old stock from non TD’s.

xray7

Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles

Excellent info, thank you for sharing a comprehensive write up. Also interested to hear which TD (if it was a TD) supplied this. If I just wanted the case I’d buy off DHGate.

I’m waiting on QC pics from Trusty for a 16613LB, because I like the gold and blue and nobody else does it… would any of what you’ve described have any giveaways for me to look for on a QC image?

I’ve got a couple of VS3135s in transit which could be a swap in but I’d really hoped to leave this watch stock, as once you’re in and adjusting one part or assembly you may want to do more, and it isn’t a technically excellent base from which to build a gen laden Franken…

Last edited:

Porkroll

Getting To Know The Place
28/3/14
I believe it’s safe to say here, because Nick is a member and a trusted watch smith/modder here. So his watchstore via Telegram contact.
Can you PM me Nick's Telegram information please? Or if someone else has it, please pass along. I want to order one as a Bday present for my brother, who is turning 40 on July 29th. Or if someone has one they would like to sell, please PM me.

xray7

Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Can you PM me Nick's Telegram information please? Or if someone else has it, please pass along. I want to order one as a Bday present for my brother, who is turning 40 on July 29th. Or if someone has one they would like to sell, please PM me.
I’m awaiting QC pics at present for a 16613LB coming stock from Trusty, 10 days have passed so far, so it’s possible I’m going to be at the point of QC and getting it sent out any day. If you don’t find another option, let me know and we can see what can be worked through.

Reactions: johnlogan

Reaps

25/9/22
Stick to the TDs here. If it's the "Nick" I think he's talking about then that certain Nick is banned from both RWI and RepTime for a good reason.

Reactions: johnlogan