• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Re-Releases 5-Digit Submariners with VR3135

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Stock Watch ? @KJ2020
Insert is aftermarket. Mine came with an SA3135. I swapped in a VR3135.

H4JPGp.jpeg

H4JCpb.jpeg

Last edited:

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06

LOL, sorry about the crappy pic- my good phone went swimming and my back up sucks. This is the blue BP before the recent upgrade. Luckily the SA3135 is doing ok, but I'm ready to swap over to the VR3135 when the time comes. Even tho this is a fantasy model, I still enjoy it. And I haven't been called out yet, but then again, I rarely if ever get a comment on the watches that I wear anyway.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
I wonder what the bracelet quality feels like on these. On the old 16613 BP batches I had different thicknesses of bracelet regardless of me buying the exact same models with same movements. Hopefully it's the lovely thick bracelet as standard. My most recent purchase had been a skinny one.

Reactions: Mr.Swackhammer

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

LOL, sorry about the crappy pic- my good phone went swimming and my back up sucks. This is the blue BP before the recent upgrade. Luckily the SA3135 is doing ok, but I'm ready to swap over to the VR3135 when the time comes. Even tho this is a fantasy model, I still enjoy it. And I haven't been called out yet, but then again, I rarely if ever get a comment on the watches that I wear anyway.
You ordered a custom job from Blaken or ProjectX 😁 done

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
From the pics it looks like the only change is the movement - the old POS SA3135 is now a VR3135.

All of the old 1661x negatives are still there:

•Lug chamfers are too wide
•Insert is too narrow - not gen-spec
•Bezel uses a wire circlip, no separate crystal retaining ring or other gen-spec bezel parts (presumed)
•Crystal gasket is crazy short in height, ~1mm due to bezel construction (presumed)
•BP gold dial text is weak in intensity - looks faded
•BP blue dials almost universally tend toward purple in harsh light
•Kermit has all maxi hands - should be only a maxi minute hand

All that said the 16610 LN is decent if you just want to keep it stock or swap in a blue insert - plenty of aftermarket 37.5mm inserts. Gen inserts are 37.65mm. These 3135 cases will take a gen-spec crystal but you have to use the stock short height gasket due to the built in retaining ring. At least now you won't have to change the movement too.

Regarding the 16600, BP recently took a step back and starting using a wire circlip bezel again so if that model is a movement only upgrade there's that issue.
As you rightly said the gold text is very poor in intensity and the blue is always tending to purple , same flaw as the previous ones , and in my experience BP dials are larger 27.8/9 vs gen 27.2 for GMT

Reactions: KJ2020 and DeLoMan

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
As you rightly said the gold text is very poor in intensity and the blue is always tending to purple , same flaw as the previous ones , and in my experience BP dials are larger 27.8/9 vs gen 27.2 for GMT
Those BPs are not perfect but they will stand the sniff test and the best available post covid outside of builds. This might be the last release of the 5 series as well. The older subs are not that popular outside of this forum!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I wonder what the bracelet quality feels like on these. On the old 16613 BP batches I had different thicknesses of bracelet regardless of me buying the exact same models with same movements. Hopefully it's the lovely thick bracelet as standard. My most recent purchase had been a skinny one.
BP bracelets look great, but the finish / feeling is average to poor IMO. Especially the clasp. They need a good ‘once over’ with a dremmel and felt, and then a scotch brite rebrushing if you want to get the most out of them.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
BP bracelets look great, but the finish / feeling is average to poor IMO. Especially the clasp. They need a good ‘once over’ with a dremmel and felt, and then a scotch brite rebrushing if you want to get the most out of them.
Yep! True, that. I just mean I had some I was perfectly happy with, and one recent one that was much thinner.

JustFou

Known Member
9/7/18
Nice one.

On my BP Sea Dweller it was easy as the construction was gen like. I just popped the bezel and boom. I’ve replaced the bezel in my 16710, which I managed to do with just a scalpel blade. I think it will pop out if you hot glue a matchstick to it as well.

I think there are plenty of better aftermarket inserts available for this though, so preserving the one it comes with is not a priority.

As for the bucket of grit, yeah - gently does it. I want it to look old and yet loved. Just like me!
I've been trying to get a good aftermarker insert for the 16610ln got any good recommandation?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I've been trying to get a good aftermarker insert for the 16610ln got any good recommandation?
@KJ2020 is your man. I did try and find the seller on eBay that I got my SD insert from but they are no longer on the platform. There are many choices though.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Horlogear sells nice 1661x inserts. They seem to be marketing to gen owners but the OD measurement specified is 37.5mm, which is the same as BP (assuming these updated BP model cases have not changed, which I think is safe to do). Gen is 37.65mm.

Several members have bought one for their ARF/RAFs which do have gen-spec bezels taking a 37.65mm insert. It's apparent to me from the pics that the Horlogear insert leaves a visible gap to the bezel rim on the ARF bezel, so I would say the Horlogear specified OD is accurate.

Several posts on the page below

So it looks to me like the Horlogear inserts would be optimal for the BP.

Alternately you can buy any old cheap aftermarket 37.5mm LN insert that has accurate looking number fonts and sizes. Black is hard to mess up, haha. Then swap over the BP pearl, which I've done many times. Occasionally you need to increase the hole size but that's a simple task. BP pearls are very good and it can make a $5 insert totally acceptable.

Last edited: