• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Apsf 15450

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Couple of questions:

- The movement in the lastest APSF 15450's is a "3120". Is this an actual clone movement like the 3KF 324's, or is it Miyota based?
- To the above point - this is a 3hz/21600 low beat movement?

Any recommendations between ZF/APSF for the best grey dial at this point? Probably looking to have legend massage the rest of it but haven't seen any pics of a DP grey dial or if the current batch of APSF/ZF grey dials are good enough OOTB?

In legend's AP question thread he recommended APSF for the 15450's which is where i'm leaning but the above pic of the grey dial ZF base that legend did looks perfect to me. Just didn't know if APSF was bringing something additional to the table in their dials currently.

DP grey dial below - still too much sunburst? (APSF still more gen like?)

Last edited:

TellMyBossImWorkin

i'm always late to work
9/6/24
PNW
KN4Dsk.jpeg

Here's my APSF AP 15450 with a White Dial. Haven't seen a ton of the white dial variant posted in this thread. It looks great at a glance, but on super close inspection it's lacking definition on the taller squares within the tapisserie of the dial.

It keeps great time, but there is one issue with this watch. Loose dial hands. When setting the time the minute hand has about 1-3 minutes worth of play in either direction after getting to a "stopping/setting" point. That means if I set the time, then move my wrist somewhat aggressive, the hands will move about .5-1.5 minutes in either direction. A bit annoying.

Also the winding mechanism feels kinda funky, almost cheap. My reference to other mechanical watches is limited to three other watches. Clean Pepsi V3, VSF Submariner, and VSF DJ 36mm. All of those movement feel satisfying when winding.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Couple of questions:

- The movement in the lastest APSF 15450's is a "3120". Is this an actual clone movement like the 3KF 324's, or is it Miyota based?
- To the above point - this is a 3hz/21600 low beat movement?

Any recommendations between ZF/APSF for the best grey dial at this point? Probably looking to have legend massage the rest of it but haven't seen any pics of a DP grey dial or if the current batch of APSF/ZF grey dials are good enough OOTB?

In legend's AP question thread he recommended APSF for the 15450's which is where i'm leaning but the above pic of the grey dial ZF base that legend did looks perfect to me. Just didn't know if APSF was bringing something additional to the table in their dials currently.

DP grey dial below - still too much sunburst? (APSF still more gen like?)
1. Yes the clone 3120 movement beats at 21600bph. It’s not a 1:1 clone in that a lot of the parts are still different and the date changes slowly rather than instantly like the gen.

2. The DP dial has the wrong tapisseries size and height and too much sunburst. I’ll recommend the latest APSF dial. The zf dial isn’t bad too. Don’t worry too much about minute differences just buy what you like.

speedywombat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
KN4Dsk.jpeg

Here's my APSF AP 15450 with a White Dial. Haven't seen a ton of the white dial variant posted in this thread. It looks great at a glance, but on super close inspection it's lacking definition on the taller squares within the tapisserie of the dial.

It keeps great time, but there is one issue with this watch. Loose dial hands. When setting the time the minute hand has about 1-3 minutes worth of play in either direction after getting to a "stopping/setting" point. That means if I set the time, then move my wrist somewhat aggressive, the hands will move about .5-1.5 minutes in either direction. A bit annoying.

Also the winding mechanism feels kinda funky, almost cheap. My reference to other mechanical watches is limited to three other watches. Clean Pepsi V3, VSF Submariner, and VSF DJ 36mm. All of those movement feel satisfying when winding.
I find the issue with loose hands only appear if I set the time backwards. If I go forward, it is almost nonexistent in most of my watches. Which is weird.

TellMyBossImWorkin

i'm always late to work
9/6/24
PNW
I find the issue with loose hands only appear if I set the time backwards. If I go forward, it is almost nonexistent in most of my watches. Which is weird.
I'll typically set the time going CW, but have tried to go a little bit a ahead, and then go CCW to the time. This has less play, but it's still a good full 1-1.5 minutes of "play".

You can see in my photo the time is 5:39:46, but the minute hand is dead on with 39.

speedywombat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
I'll typically set the time going CW, but have tried to go a little bit a ahead, and then go CCW to the time. This has less play, but it's still a good full 1-1.5 minutes of "play".

You can see in my photo the time is 5:39:46, but the minute hand is dead on with 39.
Yeah definitely too loose. I recently had this in one of my watches and I had it fixed. But for most of my watches it has no issue when going forward.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

For this movement, if you set the hands counter clockwise even by a little, there is a high chance that the gears can be damaged. Do be aware of this.

TellMyBossImWorkin

i'm always late to work
9/6/24
PNW
For this movement, if you set the hands counter clockwise even by a little, there is a high chance that the gears can be damaged. Do be aware of this.
Okay well this is not what I wanted to hear this morning....

It seems pretty bad that a watch can't go CCW while setting the time. It had this play since I had unboxed it. So the issue has been present since I got it, and hope it's just a set of loose hands that needs to be staked or securely place. I am sending it in to Major Williams this week to have them look it over. Fingers crossed it's not broken gears!

speedywombat

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
I actually did not know about this. But it always felt like if I was setting the hands counter clockwise, it feels really wrong lol. Glad this was confirmed.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Remember that watch gears in general are always designed to move forward. Yes you can physically set the hands backward on this movement but you do so at the risk of breaking the precariously designed gears. If you set the time too far ahead for this movement, either hack the crown and wait, or redo the date and time setting, rather than just take the risk and set it backward. It will create issues for the movement which will necessitate parts replacement.

Reactions: Itto and AG91

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
I am currently QCing APSF 15450 with Grey Dial and I can't help myself but the dial seems a little misaligned to me (off center to the right). Did anyone of you guys had same problem with APSF 15450? Maybe it's just my feeling and I'm being paranoid after all these years.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
I am currently QCing APSF 15450 with Grey Dial and I can't help myself but the dial seems a little misaligned to me (off center to the right). Did anyone of you guys had same problem with APSF 15450? Maybe it's just my feeling and I'm being paranoid after all these years.

I'd GL this watch but it's yours, not mine, ofc.

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS

I’ve had issues with APs in general that look misaligned / have a crooked dial, but it’s so slight and hard to tell if it’s the reflection of the rehaut/angle of the photo or even angle of viewing when it’s in hand

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
I'd GL this watch but it's yours, not mine, ofc.
I'm leaning towards GL too, I think it is mostly as @daytonadude says – very hard to tell if it's angle of the photo, angle of viewing etc... But you never know, if more people had this "problem" it could have been batch issue, but it looks like this is not the case luckily

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’ve had issues with APs in general that look misaligned / have a crooked dial, but it’s so slight and hard to tell if it’s the reflection of the rehaut/angle of the photo or even angle of viewing when it’s in hand
Sometimes what I do is to tilt my head ever so slightly and everything looks aligned again. It’s just me though. Some still prefer the Reddit alignment tool, even for a replica watch.

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Sometimes what I do is to tilt my head ever so slightly and everything looks aligned again. It’s just me though. Some still prefer the Reddit alignment tool, even for a replica watch.
Yes, a doggy head tilt (miniature schnauzer style, not full on german shepherd 90 degree rotation) is perfect.

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
Head tilt works great, thanks guys, gave it a green light, let's see when it arrives :)

• Love
Reactions: legend