• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Apsf 15450

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
i’m struggling with power reserve quite a bit. I feel like rotor is not spinning as much as it should so it could be 2 causes of the problem - poor winding caused by rotor stiffness or just simply poor power reserve. Anyone else got these issues?

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
30/3/09
i’m struggling with power reserve quite a bit. I feel like rotor is not spinning as much as it should so it could be 2 causes of the problem - poor winding caused by rotor stiffness or just simply poor power reserve. Anyone else got these issues?

Are you having actual issues though? The gen movement is nothing to write home about either, but in my gen I get better results by just manually winding it 30-40 times every few days. Otherwise power reserve is quite shitty, and this is a gen I am talking about

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
Are you having actual issues though? The gen movement is nothing to write home about either, but in my gen I get better results by just manually winding it 30-40 times every few days. Otherwise power reserve is quite shitty, and this is a gen I am talking about
Yeah I think that’s why they’ve updated the movement in the new 15550. When I wear it for 6-10 hours straight it lasts for 12 hours.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Yeah I think that’s why they’ve updated the movement in the new 15550. When I wear it for 6-10 hours straight it lasts for 12 hours.
What was that movement update about?

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
They have changed the movement, in 15450 there was 3120 and in 15550 is calibre 5900 - AD told me that power reserve should be better now. I am not an expert though, this is what I’ve been told.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
They have changed the movement, in 15450 there was 3120 and in 15550 is calibre 5900 - AD told me that power reserve should be better now. I am not an expert though, this is what I’ve been told.
I wouldn't call it an update. The calibers used in the 15450 and the 15550 are completely different, with no shared parts.
The power reserve of the 3120 movement is 55hrs (though it can last 60hrs in some models) and it is 60hrs in the caliber 5900.
You are correct about the movement cal. in both models though.

Reactions: grillbrill

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
The power reserve on my 15500 is not good. I wore it yesterday, so I'm curious to see if it's still running. I'll report back.
That's wild! Makes me feel better about my rep. I wonder why that is?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
That's wild! Makes me feel better about my rep. I wonder why that is?
A gen movement alone does not guarantee that it will run like a dream. Like everything mechanical in this universe it will require a periodical service and maintenance.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
A gen movement alone does not guarantee that it will run like a dream. Like everything mechanical in this universe it will require a periodical service and maintenance.
Haha, after 31 years of marriage I concur. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: legend

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
I wouldn't call it an update. The calibers used in the 15450 and the 15550 are completely different, with no shared parts.
The power reserve of the 3120 movement is 55hrs (though it can last 60hrs in some models) and it is 60hrs in the caliber 5900.
You are correct about the movement cal. in both models though.

I was just quoting what AD told me. Thanks for clarification.

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
Another thing I was thinking - can you actually overwind cal 3120? I couldn’t find anything online. Because to me on the rep 3120 it feels like you could break the mainspring by winding. On my example the crown action gets gradually tougher until it “stops”.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Another thing I was thinking - can you actually overwind cal 3120? I couldn’t find anything online. Because to me on the rep 3120 it feels like you could break the mainspring by winding. On my example the crown action gets gradually tougher until it “stops”.
On the gen, not possible.
On the rep, yes you can sometimes depending on the specific movement. They aren’t put together with consistency. I’ve dealt with broken mainsprings on the movement from overwound 3120 movements.

Reactions: grillbrill and skyw

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
On the rep, yes you can sometimes depending on the specific movement. They aren’t put together with consistency. I’ve dealt with broken mainsprings on the movement from overwound 3120 movements.
Thanks for clarification, I believe this is something more people should know so they don’t overwind it.

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Thanks for clarification, I believe this is something more people should know so they don’t overwind it.
In general I never wind my rep watches fully. Just give some wind to start it and then let the rotor power the rest. Leave it on a winder overnight if you are wearing it for multiple days. I think it's the best when dealing with replica movement.

samsoniteman

Maker of Poor Financial Decisions
Supporter
Certified
2/6/23
US
Does the clone 4302 in the 15500 / 15510 also have this overwinding risk?

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
In general I never wind my rep watches fully. Just give some wind to start it and then let the rotor power the rest. Leave it on a winder overnight if you are wearing it for multiple days. I think it's the best when dealing with replica movement.
I wind them as little as possible as well, so I totally agree with you, but there are people who like to give their watches proper winding and don’t actually know they can mess them up.

Reactions: Reaps

skyw

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
EU
So I’ve done some testing. My 15450 fully wound lasts 50 hours. That’s not that bad. I believe “power reserve issues” during regular wearing are caused by the stiffness of the rotor, it doesn’t move as smoothly as it should and gets a little stuck at some positions. Regular wrist movement during the day is not enough to actually wind the watch enough to last more than 12 hours after putting it down.