• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

millklones

Known Member
18/2/23
Berlin - Germany
my last MoonSwatch Build.
h54Bzo.jpeg

DapperDoctorHolmes

Getting To Know The Place
17/8/24
Hey folks! Can anyone here confirm the thickness of the Mechen VK63 AliX case? Ordered and returned a YUNJIN one that was advertised as 13mm but ended up being 15mm; I’m curious if the Mechen is actually 13 or is also 15.

DapperDoctorHolmes

17/8/24
Thanks Karbon! Any chance you’ve got a photo of the side profile of the whole case? The other one had a chonky lip, like it was noticeably taller between the case and the bezel than it should be.

Is the Mechen your preferred case, or do you have a different one that you like better?

I just tried the Pladen, which I really liked stylistically, except they’ve apparently annoyingly changed the design so the entire top bezel lip structure is black instead of silver, which looks really weird.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Depending on the build, I use Mechen or Bliger or Oumashi

I am not currently in France so I can’t take pics.

My advice is to replace the crystal on the Mechen. You can either :
- reshape the rep plastic crystal. The benefit is that you get the etched S
- put a flatter sapphire crystal

That said, you should not expect much from cases that cost less than 35€ tops

Another option is to buy a rep MoonWatch quartz from Jason on DHgate for the build. The case is slightly slimmer and also has engraved caseback.

DapperDoctorHolmes

17/8/24
Thanks so much! The crystal on the Pladen was also more bubble-y than the flatter Moonswatch plastic, but at least the general case shape was accurate. Basically looks like the Corgeut, but with proper pusher guards (and likely a lower quality ‘steel’). Shame they made the case the bizarre two-tone they’ve opted for now, maybe I’ll try to track down old stock from a different vendor, or just commit to shelling out for a Pagani or Jason dupe.

I’m not at the skill-set level of crystal forming or swapping unfortunately, so I’ll just have to commit to whatever the ‘best’ option is for the money.

DapperDoctorHolmes

17/8/24
For reference though, how would you go about removing the crystal from the moonswatch rep? It doesn’t seem to want to pop out.

Reactions: jackflash

Immortan_Jo3

Watcher in the dark
14/7/24
EU
Built a franken mod with gen ETA movement!

Full details here
Happy to find a whole community around metal moonswatch mods!

Has anyone ordered from https://m.dhgate.com/product/moonswatch-bioceramic-planet-moon-quarz-watch/809475799.html

Discovered the thread after placing the order, should I wait till I get the watch to order the other parts? Any parts recommendations for easy fitting?
Ended up building a franken mod with gen ETA movement!

Full details here

Reactions: Karbon74

jackflash

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/10/12
EU
Thanks so much! The crystal on the Pladen was also more bubble-y than the flatter Moonswatch plastic, but at least the general case shape was accurate. Basically looks like the Corgeut, but with proper pusher guards (and likely a lower quality ‘steel’). Shame they made the case the bizarre two-tone they’ve opted for now, maybe I’ll try to track down old stock from a different vendor, or just commit to shelling out for a Pagani or Jason dupe.

I’m not at the skill-set level of crystal forming or swapping unfortunately, so I’ll just have to commit to whatever the ‘best’ option is for the money.

This vendor seems to have the Pladen with the stainless steel bezel:

Pomodoro

Moon based operations
7/8/24
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share 2 more projects I've been working on, one for me and one for the wife!

Also I solved my lifting dial problem with a product called Bondic. It's basically a glue-esque liquid that seals with UV light.
I just apply a little on the inside where the movement holder meets the case (on the opposite side of the crown) and then use the UV light it comes with to seal everything up.

Haven't had a single problem with any dial movement since finding this solution.

Pomodoro

Moon based operations
7/8/24
Looking for your point of view
Which strap?

Silver snake or greygreen rally

My vote is on greygreen rally as well!

I feel like this would also look awesome in a straight up gold case.
Wish there was more options on Ali

Pomodoro

Moon based operations
7/8/24
I bought a rose gold case but it’s rather crappy…
Was it the Daytona looking case with the the "crystals" instead of the tachymeter?

If so, that really sucks because I really wanted to try it out!