• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The MoonSwitch Project

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
To provide a second update, I'm afraid I might be SoL and this might be a bit past my skill level.
Managed to get to the assembly step, and I've got the dial on with dial dots and the hour and minute hands in...but they aren't turning at all when I try to set the time with the stem. I assume I've managed to break both of my ETA movements.
I think I'll have to content myself with freezing the 24 hr dial on the Sunon movement and sticking with the more traditional switcheroo. Thanks for your help, all.

There are 3 positions of the stem. Try pulling a bit more

Reactions: sting

sting

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
10/3/24
To provide a second update, I'm afraid I might be SoL and this might be a bit past my skill level.
Managed to get to the assembly step, and I've got the dial on with dial dots and the hour and minute hands in...but they aren't turning at all when I try to set the time with the stem. I assume I've managed to break both of my ETA movements.
I think I'll have to content myself with freezing the 24 hr dial on the Sunon movement and sticking with the more traditional switcheroo. Thanks for your help, all.
If you put too much pressure on the main second hand, it can stop everything working. Try removing this, and if everything works reinstall with less pressure 👍

Reactions: Karbon74

Immortan_Jo3

Watcher in the dark
14/7/24
EU
Long time watcher in the dark…first time builder!

Wanted to keep it simple and just do the sub-dial freeze mod in a metal case as it would be my first build.

Found this thread and plans changed ;)

I ended up using 3 watches to create the ultimate moonswitch build:

ha0CwW.png

ha0PVS.jpeg

• W77 Mission to the Moon
  • Jason007 Speedy Rep
  • Swatch Irony Chrono
Used all the recommendations from this thread and Another Moonswatch metal case project.

Most valuable of all was the personal support from @Slugger over the weeks I have been researching and building the mod. Happy to call him my mentor!

ha04L8.jpeg

First trial build with the vk63 hour and minute hands from the speedy rep and the swatch sweep second hand. I was not brave enough to try broaching and just used suitable hands.

ha0MrK.jpeg

The moment I dropped the movement into the vk63 case and tried the pushers, nothing happened :cry:. The movement and pushers were misaligned and needed a 1mm spacer.

habcR8.png

ha0fic.jpeg

Used a (Speedy 3861 esque) ETA 2824 sweep second hand, as it was plug and play! Although the moonshine gold homage is cool, considering getting a silver one for harmony with all the steel :unsure:

More pics:

ha0s7v.png

ha0GSi.jpeg

ha00Lb.png

Shoutout to @Caboose and @Karbon74 for their contributions to the community.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Long time watcher in the dark…first time builder!

Wanted to keep it simple and just do the sub-dial freeze mod in a metal case as it would be my first build.

Found this thread and plans changed ;)

I ended up using 3 watches to create the ultimate moonswitch build:

ha0CwW.png

ha0PVS.jpeg

• W77 Mission to the Moon
  • Jason007 Speedy Rep
  • Swatch Irony Chrono
Used all the recommendations from this thread and Another Moonswatch metal case project.

Most valuable of all was the personal support from @Slugger over the weeks I have been researching and building the mod. Happy to call him my mentor!

ha04L8.jpeg

First trial build with the vk63 hour and minute hands from the speedy rep and the swatch sweep second hand. I was not brave enough to try broaching and just used suitable hands.

ha0MrK.jpeg

The moment I dropped the movement into the vk63 case and tried the pushers, nothing happened :cry:. The movement and pushers were misaligned and needed a 1mm spacer.

habcR8.png

ha0fic.jpeg

Used a (Speedy 3861 esque) ETA 2824 sweep second hand, as it was plug and play! Although the moonshine gold homage is cool, considering getting a silver one for harmony with all the steel :unsure:

More pics:

ha0s7v.png

ha0GSi.jpeg

ha00Lb.png

Shoutout to @Caboose and @Karbon74 for their contributions to the community.
That's a great bit of work that, well played sir

firsttimereptime

Do not accept unsolicited offers
9/7/24
Hi everyone. I’m very new to this game.

I have a gen moonswatch that I managed to break. Bezel snapped and lost and crystal all scuffed up.

In my search for a replacement I discovered the world of reps. Then the world of mods. And now I’m here.

Any advice on transplanting my gen MoonSwatch into a an Alix case (this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005315248001.html)?

I have read in a different forum I will need to cut a bit out the case back to access the lever to remove the crown and then remove the crystal.

Will I need to remove the hands to then take the movement out of the swatch?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks @Slugger et al for all the valuable info in this thread already!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

I have a gen moonswatch that I managed to break. Bezel snapped and lost and crystal all scuffed up.

In my search for a replacement I discovered the world of reps. Then the world of mods. And now I’m here.

Any advice on transplanting my gen MoonSwatch into a an Alix case (this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005315248001.html)?

I have read in a different forum I will need to cut a bit out the case back to access the lever to remove the crown and then remove the crystal.

No, keep the dial hands and mvt as is, and swap it in the metal case.

The stock vk63 spacer should work

You might need a new stem and maybe also have to put adaptors on the pushers (maybe not as the ETA is larger)

Immortan_Jo3

Watcher in the dark
14/7/24
EU

Having just plopped a gen movement (from a Swatch Irony but the same), in a vk63 case recently I could offer some insight!

Not sure about the best way to get the movement out but what I did with the steel Swatch was just pull out the stem, no lever actuation was needed as @Slugger described. You might need a new stem as the Moonswatch one could be moulded on.

I would assume breaking off the edges and then getting the crystal out should let you drop the movement out from the front.

I believe you never have to remove the hands to take the movement out unless you are worried about damaging them in the process.

I did not bother trying out the vk63 spacer as the ETA movement is 0.7mm bigger in diameter, do try if you get one with the case. I made my own 1mm spacer to lift the movement up to the pushers as described in my post. I just used additional padding at the back to get a tight fit.

Reactions: firsttimereptime

Immortan_Jo3

Watcher in the dark
14/7/24
EU
Having just plopped a gen movement (from a Swatch Irony but the same), in a vk63 case recently I could offer some insight!

Not sure about the best way to get the movement out but what I did with the steel Swatch was just pull out the stem, no lever actuation was needed as @Slugger described. You might need a new stem as the Moonswatch one could be moulded on.

I would assume breaking off the edges and then getting the crystal out should let you drop the movement out from the front.

I believe you never have to remove the hands to take the movement out unless you are worried about damaging them in the process.

I did not bother trying out the vk63 spacer as the ETA movement is 0.7mm bigger in diameter, do try if you get one with the case. I made my own 1mm spacer to lift the movement up to the pushers as described in my post. I just used additional padding at the back to get a tight fit.
The correct link for the ETA stem

Reactions: firsttimereptime

firsttimereptime

9/7/24
No, keep the dial hands and mvt as is, and swap it in the metal case.

The stock vk63 spacer should work

You might need a new stem and maybe also have to put adaptors on the pushers (maybe not as the ETA is larger)
OK. Cool. Thanks! I read about a guy putting a gen in a new case and he described taking the hands off. I guess I'll find out sooner or later. Will report back when I've done it.

I have acquired a few rep moonswatches, so will practise on them first!

firsttimereptime

9/7/24

Thank you so much for this. Really helpful. Was their resistance when you pulled out the stem, or did it just come out very freely?

Just wondering what I should look out for when trying remove stem from my watch.

Reactions: Immortan_Jo3

Immortan_Jo3

Watcher in the dark
14/7/24
EU
Thank you so much for this. Really helpful. Was their resistance when you pulled out the stem, or did it just come out very freely?

Just wondering what I should look out for when trying remove stem from my watch.
Glad to help, it’s more than what you would feel to the set the time but not too crazy.

Looking forward to your build!

firsttimereptime

9/7/24
OK. So I have made a right meal of this.

I managed to get the movement ouf of the gen moonswatch, but it was NOT pretty. The back of the movement has some lovely grooves in it where I almost went too far. But it is still in full working order

Putting the movement in the VK63 case I bought proved incredibly frustrating. Mine didn't come with a movement holder, so that didn't help.
However, it seemed to me that the pushers were too long and made it impossible to get the whole thing centred. So I ground them down a little bit and that seemed to do thee trick - but I couldn't keep the movement in position - I tried mounting tape, folding up bits of cardboard, whittling matchsticks, but nothing really worked. A combination of all three seemed to do the trick, but then I realised I needed to trim the stem, so took it all back out.

My first question - how do you know how long a stem should be? I should have asked this sooner as I ultimately made mine too short!

I also broke a pusher. Second question - should pushers be resting on the relevant bit they need to push, or is it OK to have a gap? How would one shorten/lengthen a pusher?

In the end, I have ordered a new VK63 case that comes with a movement holder( fingers crossed that makes it easier!) and also ordered a new stem.

Incidentally, I couldn't for the life of me get the stem release to work even after googling 'eta g10.212 stem release'.

I was too embarrassed/nervous to take photos as it was a pretty ghastly sight that I'm sure would have the experienced of you wincing!

Final question - there was a thin metal ring around the movement when I took apart the swatch. I managed to bend it. I assume that is there to separate dial from crystal. Is it possible to order a new one? What are they called?

So. Many. Question. Sorry!

I absolutely loved making all these mistakes!

Reactions: sting

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas

Dont worry about it- it would make your toes curl to see some of the things I have managed to do.

I managed to get the movement ouf of the gen moonswatch, but it was NOT pretty. The back of the movement has some lovely grooves in it where I almost went too far. But it is still in full working order

Putting the movement in the VK63 case I bought proved incredibly frustrating. Mine didn't come with a movement holder, so that didn't help.
However, it seemed to me that the pushers were too long and made it impossible to get the whole thing centred. So I ground them down a little bit and that seemed to do thee trick - but I couldn't keep the movement in position - I tried mounting tape, folding up bits of cardboard, whittling matchsticks, but nothing really worked. A combination of all three seemed to do the trick, but then I realised I needed to trim the stem, so took it all back out.

You need to contact @Caboose about a movement holder.

My first question - how do you know how long a stem should be? I should have asked this sooner as I ultimately made mine too short!

look on Youtube about measuring and cutting your stem- the video is much better than a long explanation.

I also broke a pusher. Second question - should pushers be resting on the relevant bit they need to push, or is it OK to have a gap? How would one shorten/lengthen a pusher?

a gap is fine.

In the end, I have ordered a new VK63 case that comes with a movement holder( fingers crossed that makes it easier!) and also ordered a new stem.

Incidentally, I couldn't for the life of me get the stem release to work even after googling 'eta g10.212 stem release'.

I was too embarrassed/nervous to take photos as it was a pretty ghastly sight that I'm sure would have the experienced of you wincing!

Final question - there was a thin metal ring around the movement when I took apart the swatch. I managed to bend it. I assume that is there to separate dial from crystal. Is it possible to order a new one? What are they called?

that may be tough to get the same one- do you mean this? it is a dial spacer:

No worries- that is how we all learn and grow.

they will not be the last.

hope this helps.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Wow 😵‍💫

Stem release on a G10
Crown at date set position, use a pin on the little hole near the stem, pull

Pushers should be less than 1mm from the contact, looks closely. When you push, the pusher will bend a contact on the movement

The VK63 case should work with the gen G10 without any modifications

The VK63 movement holder should also work with the G10. If you feel it is moving around, you can use some nylon fishline to bridge the gap between the mvt and the spacer

You can also use this
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 14,39€ | Watch Case Cushion Mount Spacer Ring Fixing Ring for ETA G10.211 Movement

Don’t worry about mistakes. Even when you gain experience, you still make mistakes…they just get even more expensive 🤣

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

@RepPossessed 😅