• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The MoonSwitch Project

3nki1du

Do not accept unsolicited offers
1/7/24
Thanks @Slugger! Your work helped a LOT.
To be honest, I don't have broaching tools yet so I'm reusing the hour/minute hands from the PD1701 I'm cannibalizing (since they fit the ETA movement) and just went ahead and bought a .25 second hand for the G10.212. One of these days, I'll level up my game even further...

Now, we just wait for DHGate and eBay sellers.

Reactions: Karbon74

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
welcomThanks @Slugger! Your work helped a LOT.
To be honest, I don't have broaching tools yet so I'm reusing the hour/minute hands from the PD1701 I'm cannibalizing (since they fit the ETA movement) and just went ahead and bought a .25 second hand for the G10.212. One of these days, I'll level up my game even further...

Now, we just wait for DHGate and eBay sellers.
It is truly my pleasure. Welcome to the rabbit hole!🐇

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I agree! Well that should not be a surprise.

Modding a MoonSwatch rep into a gen, well almost a gen, for around $25 seems too good to be true. Definitely when compared to dropping $1K for a typical franken build.

I like, no I love, what people are doing with steel cases but the franken MoonSwatch is more fun as far as I am concerned.

Nonetheless, I am supportive of any project that brings people into fascination with watches.

If anyone is thinking they can’t do anything except wear watches, I will always help them to find out they are underestimating themselves.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I agree! Well that should not be a surprise.

Modding a MoonSwatch rep into a gen, well almost a gen, for around $25 seems too good to be true. Definitely when compared to dropping $1K for a typical franken build.

I like, no I love, what people are doing with steel cases but the franken MoonSwatch is more fun as far as I am concerned.

Nonetheless, I am supportive of any project that brings people into fascination with watches.

If anyone is thinking they can’t do anything except wear watches, I will always help them to find out they are underestimating themselves.

I think you will love what I am making just now 😙

• Wow
Reactions: smell

Yellowhammerwatches

Known Member
26/1/24
Just minding my own business with my dh gate moonswatch all cased up with the PE50 waiting on a movement holder to finish it, BUT NOOOO, I had to click the damn "What's New" tab! Now it'll bug me until I finally decide to do this. Meanwhile all the Swatch Irony watch sellers on eBay wondering what the hell is going on that they're selling like hotcakes now lol

SilvaP92

17/7/24
Hello everybody, I’m new on this forum!

I would like to put an ETA G10.212 (or 211) that I am going to received from a donor Swatch Irony (found one for 12€ on Vinted), and I am wondering where i can find smoothing broaches to modifiy the rep’s hands to fit the ETA movement.
I have searched on AliX for some cheap ones, but can’t find any… most of them are about 50€ including shipping.
Do you have any link to share?

I will put the modified rep inside a metal VK63 casing, pictures will follow soon :)

Thanks !

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Hello everybody, I’m new on this forum!

I would like to put an ETA G10.212 (or 211) that I am going to received from a donor Swatch Irony (found one for 12€ on Vinted), and I am wondering where i can find smoothing broaches to modifiy the rep’s hands to fit the ETA movement.
I have searched on AliX for some cheap ones, but can’t find any… most of them are about 50€ including shipping.
Do you have any link to share?

I will put the modified rep inside a metal VK63 casing, pictures will follow soon :)

Thanks !
50€ for a set including shipping does not sound bad.

I’m sure you can find cheaper ones on Aliexpress but the problem with cheap broaches (tools in general) is they lack precision and don’t last.

I’ve seen used broaches on eBay. Might check there if you don’t mind picking up a used set.

I bought a set of Swiss-made broaches from Esslinger (Minnesota, USA) and, while you can buy individual files from them, I think their flat-rate international shipping is very expensive for a minimum purchase.

Reactions: SilvaP92

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Hey guys

What do you use to remove those subdial hands?

One out of three times, the clearance underneath is not enough for my presto or hand levers.

I have a Bergeon chrono hand tool in my basket but before I buy, I wanted to check if anyone had a homebrew way

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Hey guys

What do you use to remove those subdial hands?

One out of three times, the clearance underneath is not enough for my presto or hand levers.

I have a Bergeon chrono hand tool in my basket but before I buy, I wanted to check if anyone had a homebrew way
I'm a lever guy after a couple of disasters with th Presto tool. I use Horotec levers that have been sharpened to fit under the least amount of clearance. Oh! And don't forget to polish the levers after sharpening as ny rough edges will scratch anything (dial and hands) it touches.

Reactions: pippo and Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I'm a lever guy after a couple of disasters with th Presto tool. I use Horotec levers that have been sharpened to fit under the least amount of clearance. Oh! And don't forget to polish the levers after sharpening as ny rough edges will scratch anything (dial and hands) it touches.

Do you use dial protection then? Or you raw dog it ? 😅

• Wow
Reactions: Slugger

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Do you use dial protection then? Or you raw dog it ? 😅
Not answering the second question...pervert!

I use squares that I cut from baggies. I prefer this method to those little things that Bergeon et al make because the plastic square protects both the dial and the hands.

Reactions: Karbon74

3nki1du

1/7/24
To provide a second update, I'm afraid I might be SoL and this might be a bit past my skill level.
Managed to get to the assembly step, and I've got the dial on with dial dots and the hour and minute hands in...but they aren't turning at all when I try to set the time with the stem. I assume I've managed to break both of my ETA movements.
I think I'll have to content myself with freezing the 24 hr dial on the Sunon movement and sticking with the more traditional switcheroo. Thanks for your help, all.