• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The MoonSwitch Project

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
If you want to keep it simple, I used an old Pam Arktos GMT chapter ring as a spacer, painted black and trimmed down a bit, glued it to the dial. (On Alix you can find similar)
By cutting the rim off the PE05 movt ring and trimming down the bump @9 off the vk63 movt ring, no custom movement ring needed to be fabricated.
I relumed the hands and dial a bit for that little extra.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Just froze the top subdials and did a Broad Arrow hands mod.
Now this not easy.
I had some nh35 hands, so had to make the collets much smaller in size.
You could remove the collet and glue the old, cut off hands to the new hands, but this could cause issues.

senzlez2

Getting To Know The Place
20/2/20
Drum Roll Please!

When trying to lift off the subdial hands from the super-ugly Swatch Irony I mentioned in the prior posting, with my cheap Presto hand remover tool, I broke off two of the pinions. Ugh! After considering ways to replace the pinions, I decided the best, and surest, way to get the MoonSwitch on trajectory was to buy another Irony for parts. But before spending more money, it seemed the sane thing to do was to make sure this project was not going to die on the launching pad.

One of the questions that I was asked was if the subdials pinions on the G10.212 are in the same position as those on the PE50. I was reasonably sure but, to be certain, I "sandwiched" the two dials together (you can see a bit of Irony dial peeking out on the right), aligned the center hole and, voila, "let there be light!" All four holes were perfectly aligned!

3Bh4kQ.md.jpg

The second thing, I wanted to confirm was if the G10.212 would fit into the fake shitty plastic bioceramic MoonSwatch case. At first, it didn't fit because the pusher pins were too long...

3Bhvp8.jpg

But, after a little trimming...

3Bh7GK.jpg

Success!! Then, I checked to see if the battery in the G10.212 aligned with the case back access panel. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker but I did want to know and, as you can see, everything fit perfectly....

3B2oyW.md.jpg

And with the cover on...

3B2qwS.md.jpg

All systems are go! And the countdown for MoonSwitch Mission to the Moon(?) begins!

So I confidently bought the second donor Swatch Irony. I won't bore you with the details but using a brand new set of hand levers, I was able to remove the hands from the second G10.212 which was to become the donor to my first G10.212. Surgery on the two movements went smoothly and, if anyone is really that interested in how to break open an G10.212, there is a video on YouTube here that covers the process.

At last, I had a fully working G10.212 with all three subdial pinions intact!

Since I'd looked up the hand sizes, I knew placing the rep MoonSwatch hands made for the P50 would require some broaching. The Sunon PE50 hands are 120 for the hour hand/70 for the minute hand/17 for the sweep second hand and 20 for the subdial hands while the ETA G10.212 are 150/90/25 and 20.

A visual comparison of the hour and minute hands (G10.212 on the left of the respective PE50 hand) shows the relative size difference...

3B2yCR.md.jpg

As expected, the MoonSwatch subdial hands fit onto the G10.212 subdial pinions without any modification. Also as expected, after a little broaching to widen the holes on the MoonSwatch rep hour and minute hands, they too were placed on the G10.212 without drama...

3B2CmX.md.jpg

"Where is the sweep second hand?" You ask.

You may not like the answer if you were pining to see the completed MoonSwitch in it's full glory but the second hand is not there for a reason and you'll have to check in for the the final episode (hopefully tomorrow if I have time) to see what that reason is if you haven't already figure out from the clue somewhere in this writeup.

Soooo, stay tuned for the finale episode of the MoonSwitch franken project.
what tools did you use to widen the pe50 hands broach tools ? im doing this project myself I found a swatch donor watch

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
what tools did you use to widen the pe50 hands broach tools ? im doing this project myself I found a swatch donor watch
Yes, you'll need some broaches and a hand holding tool. Trying to broach the hands without the holder is a disaster waiting to happen.

The PE-50 hands (H/M/S/Sub) are sized as follows: 120/70/17/20
The ETA G10.212 hands are sized as follows: 150/90/25/20

In other words, you will need to broach:

the hour hand from 1.2mm to 1.5mm (+0.3mm);
the minute hand from 0.70mm to 0.90mm (+0.2mm);
the second hand from 0.17mm to 0.20mm (+0.03mm); and
the subdial hands will fit without broaching.

Take great care when removing the hands from your movements (rep and donor) as you don't want to break any of the pinions. For an inexpensive hand removal tool, I strongly recommend un-notched hand levers over cheap presto hand removers. If you do decide to buy a presto tool, don't go cheap. Buy something that will work like a Bergeon 30636-1 or Burgeon Bergeon 30670-6.

Finally, place a small square of plastic (ie cut from a baggie) over the hands AND the dial before lifting off the hands to avoid scratching. The little plastic waffers do a good job protecting the dial but they do nothing to protect the hands you intend on reusing.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Yes, you'll need some broaches and a hand holding tool. Trying to broach the hands without the holder is a disaster waiting to happen.

The PE-50 hands (H/M/S/Sub) are sized as follows: 120/70/17/20
The ETA G10.212 hands are sized as follows: 150/90/25/20

In other words, you will need to broach:

the hour hand from 1.2mm to 1.5mm (+0.3mm);
the minute hand from 0.70mm to 0.90mm (+0.2mm);
the second hand from 0.17mm to 0.20mm (+0.03mm); and
the subdial hands will fit without broaching.

Take great care when removing the hands from your movements (rep and donor) as you don't want to break any of the pinions. For an inexpensive hand removal tool, I strongly recommend un-notched hand levers over cheap presto hand removers. If you do decide to buy a presto tool, don't go cheap. Buy something that will work like a Bergeon 30636-1 or Burgeon Bergeon 30670-6.

Finally, place a small square of plastic (ie cut from a baggie) over the hands AND the dial before lifting off the hands to avoid scratching. The little plastic waffers do a good job protecting the dial but they do nothing to protect the hands you intend on reusing.
you remind me that I need to upgrade to a Bergeô Presto. Those cheap AliX tools are starting to bug me

Reactions: Hec and Slugger

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
you remind me that I need to upgrade to a Bergeô Presto. Those cheap AliX tools are starting to bug me
Have you tried using levers? I love mine. The key is to get really good ones but you can polish cheaper ones and they'll work great.

Reactions: pippo

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Have you tried using levers? I love mine. The key is to get really good ones but you can polish cheaper ones and they'll work great.
I have levers too but I used them when I just started and damaged a dial. I am still under trauma 😅

I will polish them. good idea.

Reactions: Slugger

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
I have levers too but I used them when I just started and damaged a dial. I am still under trauma 😅

I will polish them. good idea.
the plastic bag trick or these make all the difference with levers- these are $1.20 on Temu.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Hopefully on the other first time no small bit shot off into space accidentally either...

• Haha
Reactions: Snooky

pippo

Respected Member
10/1/10
Considering a case switch myself.
Mostly because I cannot stand the grayish bezel numbers of the plastic case (latest model from Watches_77)

Is there any affordable case with a thickness <14mm?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Considering a case switch myself.
Mostly because I cannot stand the grayish bezel numbers of the plastic case (latest model from Watches_77)

Is there any affordable case with a thickness <14mm?
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $28.77 48% Off | 39.7mm Men's watches metal case FIT VK63 movement case watch accessories watch parts Fits 20mm strap Watch Box

Reactions: pippo

pippo

Respected Member
10/1/10
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $28.77 48% Off | 39.7mm Men's watches metal case FIT VK63 movement case watch accessories watch parts Fits 20mm strap Watch Box
Looks good!

Just 2 questions please
1. Is the case thickness really 13mm or close?
2. Does the dial sit very low on that case?

Thank you!!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Looks good!

Just 2 questions please
1. Is the case thickness really 13mm or close?
2. Does the dial sit very low on that case?

Thank you!!

Chatting with a few folks who bought on Ali...
Even from same vendor, cases are different.
Sometimes, you even need to disassemble the bezel to realign it.

So, I am afraid you will need to make that bet. That said, you take zero risk. If you don't like the end result, super easy to sell it

Reactions: pippo and Caboose

senzlez2

20/2/20
that case there is that a replica reduced case and will it take a gen or a aftermarket hesalite crystal ?

senzlez2

20/2/20

So, I am afraid you will need to make that bet. That said, you take zero risk. If you don't like the end result, super easy to sell it
that case there is that a replica reduced case and will it take a gen or a aftermarket hesalite crystal ?

pippo

Respected Member
10/1/10

Thanks mate, indeed no guarantee when playing with reps.
Specs constantly change.