• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The MoonSwitch Project

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Does the G10.212 calibre have the classic quartz micro adjustments through the chrono pushers? Theres a mode, where u can move the seconds hand with the chrono pushers in I think half click intervals, which means you prolly wouldnt have to take it off and put back on again, but idk if this calibre has it.
Yes, it does. Unfortunately, as you noticed with those damn eagle eyes of yours 😳, I placed the chrono sweep hand fractionally between seconds. I couldn’t adjust it with the pushers because the pusher moves that hand in one second increments. The hand had to be removed and placed properly pointing to a whole second.

marrickville

28/5/10
Australia
Noble effort but why bother with a $50 rep? I'm almost certain there has been a rep of this that uses the gen movement as well. Might be one of the TDs.

Related note, I covered off the tutorial on freezing the 2 o clock subdial earlier this month - looks like others have followed / or had the same thought. This pretty much gets you 80% of the way there (plus who really counts the chronograph into "hours" anyway).

Again, I don't mean to rain on your parade as creativity should always be welcomed / encouraged but just feels like overkill for this "sh1tty plastic watch".

link to tutorial

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Noble effort but why bother with a $50 rep? I'm almost certain there has been a rep of this that uses the gen movement as well. Might be one of the TDs.

Related note, I covered off the tutorial on freezing the 2 o clock subdial earlier this month - looks like others have followed / or had the same thought. This pretty much gets you 80% of the way there (plus who really counts the chronograph into "hours" anyway).

Again, I don't mean to rain on your parade as creativity should always be welcomed / encouraged but just feels like overkill for this "sh1tty plastic watch".

link to tutorial
No problem. My motivation was certainly not financial.

Why would I put a genuine movement in a fake MoonSwatch? Because I felt like it.

Some people get worked up when dial markers are not accurate or the click on a bezel does not have that genuine feel.

Some think it’s a great idea to apply a decorative overlay on a movement behind a closed case back. I don’t get that logic.

Non working complications annoy me. Frozen chronos on a Daytona or MoonSwatch? Just as bad. Fake moon phase or power reserve? Not for me!

If I could put a real working movement inside a rep Yachtmaster II case that actually did what the 4161 does, I would.

Anyway, I did it so you don’t have to.😉

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
If I could put a real working movement inside a rep Yachtmaster II case that actually did what the 4161 does, I would.
Well you can, its just gonna cost a bloody fortune and its gonna take you a few years to get all the parts, if youre not lucky enough to score a whole movement 😂

Reactions: Slugger

marrickville

28/5/10
Australia
No problem. My motivation was certainly not financial.

Why would I put a genuine movement in a fake MoonSwatch? Because I felt like it.

Some people get worked up when dial markers are not accurate or the click on a bezel does not have that genuine feel.

Some think it’s a great idea to apply a decorative overlay on a movement behind a closed case back. I don’t get that logic.

Non working complications annoy me. Frozen chronos on a Daytona or MoonSwatch? Just as bad. Fake moon phase or power reserve? Not for me!

Anyway, I did it so you don’t have to.😉

Appreciate your response and it was of course, well done.

To each its own I guess. Again, creativity is always encouraged and welcome so looking forward to your next project :)

Reactions: Slugger

sz_14

Do not accept unsolicited offers
5/5/23
United States
Thank you for this. I wanted to do a full swap with a gen Mission to Jupiter (the reps haven't got the dial right, and I don't like how it looks unlike some of the other versions). Some members talked about attempting it but I haven't seen anything from anyone so far. This gives me hope about the project's feasibility, if the PE50 fits the metal cases fine and the ETA movement fits the rep cases, I think trimming the pushers like you did might just do the trick.

Although maybe I should try it on a rep Mission to the Moon with a gen movement first before breaking open my Swatch....

Do you have any plans of attempting a metal case swap yourself?

restandrelaxation

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
Thank you for this. I wanted to do a full swap with a gen Mission to Jupiter (the reps haven't got the dial right, and I don't like how it looks unlike some of the other versions). Some members talked about attempting it but I haven't seen anything from anyone so far. This gives me hope about the project's feasibility, if the PE50 fits the metal cases fine and the ETA movement fits the rep cases, I think trimming the pushers like you did might just do the trick.

Although maybe I should try it on a rep Mission to the Moon with a gen movement first before breaking open my Swatch....

This will fit directly into a pagani design case, you should be able to use the movement holder from the donor watch. It becomes more complicated if you decide to go down the Corgeut case route as the movement holder will require trimming down.

sz_14

5/5/23
United States
This will fit directly into a pagani design case, you should be able to use the movement holder from the donor watch. It becomes more complicated if you decide to go down the Corgeut case route as the movement holder will require trimming down.
Thanks for the info! The case is I got cheap, so maybe I will put a rep Moonswatch in it if my endeavor doesn't work, and order a Pagani Design.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS

I have the donor Swatch cases. They're steel and one of them kinda has the Omega Moonwatch look; the other not so much.

I also have the PE50 from the MoonSwatch rep but I'm not interested in casing it.

If anyone wants a PE 50 movement or Swatch Irony case, I can post some photos and give you a deal that can't be refused.;)

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
This is the case someone might want. I’ll include the dial for nada.

3Eq5jc.jpg

Stretch242

24/12/14
UK
That was an amazing read, great work, you must have the patients of a saint. Maybe I will try this as my very first mod to a watch. Thanks for the detailed guide and great info 👍

Reactions: restandrelaxation

sz_14

5/5/23
United States
I have officially been inspired (albeit in a slightly different vein). Haven't seen any other projects with the real thing in it yet, but I do wish I was good with delicate work instead of being a bumbling oaf. Maybe I'll make a seperate thread once complete, though I doubt any sane person really cares.

Got a little careless and scratched the dial, but that doesn't really bother me, especially since its a project primarily done for fun.

Last edited:

restandrelaxation

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
I have officially been inspired (albeit in a slightly different vein). Haven't seen any other projects with the real thing in it yet, but I do wish I was good with delicate work instead of being a bumbling oaf. Maybe I'll make a seperate thread once complete, though I doubt any sane person really cares.

Got a little careless and scratched the dial, but that doesn't really bother me, especially since its a project primarily done for fun.
May I enquire, where did you get that metal case?

Also, nice rabbit in the reflection 😁

Last edited:

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I am going to try to swap a moonswatch rep dial into a Pagani case. wish me luck

I have asked some vendors on Ali...none of then have any clue on what movement is in the moonswatch rep 😱😅
Are you asking? If so, it is a Sunon PE50:

29mm x 4mm
Hands 120/70/17 and 20 for chrono hands

Reactions: Karbon74

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Got it from Ali, I just searched for a VK63 case. It did get taken down for a bit but I believe it's available again.
Hahaha didn't even notice the rabbit lol
@restandrelaxation FYI the VK63 at 29.10 x 5.1 is larger than the rep PE50 but very close to the Gen G10.212 at 29.8 x 5.12. I’d have to measure the dials but my gut tells me that case at $20 would be perfect.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Are you asking? If so, it is a Sunon PE50:

29mm x 4mm
Hands 120/70/17 and 20 for chrono hands
thanks. I was initially thinking of just harvesting the dial but the vk63 has totally diff subdial placements So full movement swap then...but i will need to get a spacer