• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The MoonSwitch Project

restandrelaxation

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
thanks. I was initially thinking of just harvesting the dial but the vk63 has totally diff subdial placements So full movement swap then...but i will need to get a spacer
Yeah the vk63 is the one used in most speedmaster homages like the pagani design for example. It's an ETA g10.212 you need to have everything in the right place and moving correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon74

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
thanks. I was initially thinking of just harvesting the dial but the vk63 has totally diff subdial placements So full movement swap then...but i will need to get a spacer
I’ve bought three Swatch Irony chronos on ebay just for the Genuine MoonSwatch movement. Fits the dial perfectly as I showed in one of the photos I posted earlier. Just make sure to confirm the watch and all chrono functions are working. I’m sending you a PM with some links to current ebay listings worth watching.

restandrelaxation

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
Also if you are planning on just using the rep dial and movement the movement holder that comes in the rep fits exactly into the pagani design case.

Reactions: Karbon74

restandrelaxation

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
@Karbon74 and @Soyla355 you might both enjoy this thread.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Took a Mercury and added a couple Esslinger red hands.

She's joining her sister the Neptune with cannibalized moonswatch hands.

Reactions: Hec

Pinion Minion

Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
I have built Moonswitches with both a Coregut speedy case as well as the generic Ali speedy case- thought i would show others the differences:

Corgeut:

Generic Speedy case that is all over Ali express:

My Corgeut is the Mars dial- the generic speedy is the Uranus dial.

The Corgeut lugs are more tapered and elegant- and the case is thinner by 2mm- a lot of it being the caseback:

Corgeut caseback on the right ( please excuse the disgusting cuticles- I have been working in the yard..)

Corgeut is about 40.5mm measured 10 to 4 OClock- the generic speedy is a bit over 42mm

Overall the Corgeut is a slimmer more elegant choice with one glaring problem- the lack of "crown guards" on the case. The Ali case has some nice contouring as opposed to the Corgeut where there is none.

sorry for my terrible photography but I hope this gives some insight to others considering a build.

Enjoy the weekend.

Last edited:

Pinqpong

Do not accept unsolicited offers
26/7/23
de
W
This will fit directly into a pagani design case, you should be able to use the movement holder from the donor watch. It becomes more complicated if you decide to go down the Corgeut case route as the movement holder will require trimming down.
meening, gen moonswatch movement/dial will fit into pagani without any issues? What about pushers/crown - do I need some trimming or anything? And a crystal from pagani can stay? I just want to have a gen moonswatch movement dial in a metal case - is it the easiest route then?

Pinion Minion

Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
I have not attempted nor have I read about anyone attempting any of these switches with a genuine MoonSwatch- but I cannot imagine it being a difficult fit.

Please document and send pics if you do! if one does the "frozen subdial at 2 o'clock" mod it really is just like the real thing- I mean how often are you going to use the chrono to time something longer than an hour- if ever?

Pinqpong

26/7/23
de
I have not attempted nor have I read about anyone attempting any of these switches with a genuine MoonSwatch- but I cannot imagine it being a difficult fit.

Please document and send pics if you do! if one does the "frozen subdial at 2 o'clock" mod it really is just like the real thing- I mean how often are you going to use the chrono to time something longer than an hour- if ever?
I would like to give it a try, but it will be my first time messing with watches, so I try to ensure I have everything I need and the mod I’m going for is as simple as it can be, that is why I’m asking! I will surely post the results here once it is finished. Pagani donor for case, pushers, crown, strap and crystal(?) + gen moonswatch - is it all I need except tools or do I miss anything?

Reactions: Y Cymro

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I would like to give it a try, but it will be my first time messing with watches, so I try to ensure I have everything I need and the mod I’m going for is as simple as it can be, that is why I’m asking! I will surely post the results here once it is finished. Pagani donor for case, pushers, crown, strap and crystal(?) + gen moonswatch - is it all I need except tools or do I miss anything?
I have a genuine MoonWatch movement I’m not using and a rep Journey to the Moon dial and handset. Send me a PM.

Reactions: Pinion Minion

Pinion Minion

Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
If your have never even cracked a case back I strongly urge you to practice once with a dh gate moonswatch first..

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I admire your courage starting with a chrono.
I just recently started modding and I can tell you that these things are tiny tiny.

If just a swap with dial and handset in place, that is doable, but subdial hands as a first dive into mods...I would recommend as our friend above. Buy a dhgate rep. Strip it down to the bare movement and rebuilt.

That will give you a good practice run

Pinqpong

26/7/23
de
I admire your courage starting with a chrono.
I just recently started modding and I can tell you that these things are tiny tiny.

If just a swap with dial and handset in place, that is doable, but subdial hands as a first dive into mods...I would recommend as our friend above. Buy a dhgate rep. Strip it down to the bare movement and rebuilt.

That will give you a good practice run
I’ve just ordered used Swatch Irony Chrono (which suppose to have the same eta gu10.212 movement) to practice with it before I do the moonswatch. I thought, I won’t need to mess a lot with subdial/hands a lot if I want to swap the whole thing 😬

Reactions: restandrelaxation

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I’ve just ordered used Swatch Irony Chrono (which suppose to have the same eta gu10.212 movement) to practice with it before I do the moonswatch. I thought, I won’t need to mess a lot with subdial/hands a lot if I want to swap the whole thing 😬
Some of the Irony chronos have the correct version of the ETA G10.212 (the AP or AJ) and some don’t. Send me a photo of your watch dial and I can tell you if you got the right one.

For the most part, the Irony watches are not meant to be opened. Maybe I can help with that too.

When you get everything, I’d be happy to walk you through removal of the movement from the Irony.

longrio2

21/9/23
How is it going with the changing original dials&movements to pagani design case ? Cause I got the same idea. It would be wonderful if you realized something