• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The MoonSwitch Project

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Ahh I see, what a faff that is

Anyway, who needs a steel case anyway.. we already have watches with steel cases

Yeah. With the price of the gen, the parts and the work fee, you are looking north of 500€
Not worth it IMHO

Much better to get yourself a rep and do the metal mod. This way you have two watches to play

Reactions: RepPossessed

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
OK. So I have made a right meal of this.

I managed to get the movement ouf of the gen moonswatch, but it was NOT pretty. The back of the movement has some lovely grooves in it where I almost went too far. But it is still in full working order

Putting the movement in the VK63 case I bought proved incredibly frustrating. Mine didn't come with a movement holder, so that didn't help.
However, it seemed to me that the pushers were too long and made it impossible to get the whole thing centred. So I ground them down a little bit and that seemed to do thee trick - but I couldn't keep the movement in position - I tried mounting tape, folding up bits of cardboard, whittling matchsticks, but nothing really worked. A combination of all three seemed to do the trick, but then I realised I needed to trim the stem, so took it all back out.

My first question - how do you know how long a stem should be? I should have asked this sooner as I ultimately made mine too short!

I also broke a pusher. Second question - should pushers be resting on the relevant bit they need to push, or is it OK to have a gap? How would one shorten/lengthen a pusher?

In the end, I have ordered a new VK63 case that comes with a movement holder( fingers crossed that makes it easier!) and also ordered a new stem.

Incidentally, I couldn't for the life of me get the stem release to work even after googling 'eta g10.212 stem release'.

I was too embarrassed/nervous to take photos as it was a pretty ghastly sight that I'm sure would have the experienced of you wincing!

Final question - there was a thin metal ring around the movement when I took apart the swatch. I managed to bend it. I assume that is there to separate dial from crystal. Is it possible to order a new one? What are they called?

So. Many. Question. Sorry!

I absolutely loved making all these mistakes!
Wow! You’ve earned my respect for not tossing in the towel. 🏆

I’m not familiar with the VK63 case and, without pictures, I can only guess. It’s possible that you may not need to shorten the pushers if it was only to insert the movement. Removing the pushers, will give you more room and you can reinstall them after the movement is in place. If they are actually too long, then a little haircut is obviously needed.

One thing not mentioned. Is your stem height. How does it line up with the case? Before buying a new case, double check stem height alignment. Too far off and you’ll need to pick a different case or this project is not going to end well.

That ring sounds like it might be a movement holder. If you could straighten the thing out, you may be able to repurpose it (with modifications?) to hold your movement in the new case. Again, without photos, I’m just tossing out my best guess.

Otherwise, if you measure the gap between the new case and the movement, you can purchase a plastic movement holder (or two in case things go sideways with the first) on AliEx. The nice think about the plastic holders is they are easy to modify and dirt cheap.

Cutting the stem should not be done until you have the movement properly seated in the case. Let’s get you to that point first…then you can post pictures and we can talk about sizing the stem. In the meantime, when you are ordering parts, it may be a good idea to pick up an extra stem or two.

firsttimereptime

Do not accept unsolicited offers
9/7/24
Wow! You’ve earned my respect for not tossing in the towel. 🏆

I’m not familiar with the VK63 case and, without pictures, I can only guess. It’s possible that you may not need to shorten the pushers if it was only to insert the movement. Removing the pushers, will give you more room and you can reinstall them after the movement is in place. If they are actually too long, then a little haircut is obviously needed.

One thing not mentioned. Is your stem height. How does it line up with the case? Before buying a new case, double check stem height alignment. Too far off and you’ll need to pick a different case or this project is not going to end well.

That ring sounds like it might be a movement holder. If you could straighten the thing out, you may be able to repurpose it (with modifications?) to hold your movement in the new case. Again, without photos, I’m just tossing out my best guess.

Otherwise, if you measure the gap between the new case and the movement, you can purchase a plastic movement holder (or two in case things go sideways with the first) on AliEx. The nice think about the plastic holders is they are easy to modify and dirt cheap.

Cutting the stem should not be done until you have the movement properly seated in the case. Let’s get you to that point first…then you can post pictures and we can talk about sizing the stem. In the meantime, when you are ordering parts, it may be a good idea to pick up an extra stem or two.
Hi @Slugger and thank you. And thanks for everyone else who has responded as well - I can't believe how friendly everyone is!

I have done a quick google for stem height, but can't find a definitive answer.

Am I right to assume it means where the stem sits in the crown (is it the hole the stem goes in on the case called the crown?) i.e. it should be in the centre of that hole? My stem was sitting just off-centre.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Hi @Slugger and thank you. And thanks for everyone else who has responded as well - I can't believe how friendly everyone is!

I have done a quick google for stem height, but can't find a definitive answer.

Am I right to assume it means where the stem sits in the crown (is it the hole the stem goes in on the case called the crown?) i.e. it should be in the centre of that hole? My stem was sitting just off-centre.

Don’t worry. The stem height is fine.
2.25mm VK63
1.77mm g10

even if it’s a bit off, it does not matter
You don’t need to handwind quartz, so there is no shearing

Last edited:
Reactions: Slugger

mawopo

13/9/24
Hello, related to modding the pagani watch, it was super interesting to read you all! I'm super inspired to mod mine thank you for this well of info. I just wanted to do one more mod on it: does any of you know if it's possible to change the screw caseback of the Pagani PD1701 V3 for a sapphire exhibition one from Spiralwinder? I was thinking of the one meant for caliber 3861 for the newest moonwatch. I can't find any info on the diameter or thread of pagani's or omega's...

restandrelaxation

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
Hello, related to modding the pagani watch, it was super interesting to read you all! I'm super inspired to mod mine thank you for this well of info. I just wanted to do one more mod on it: does any of you know if it's possible to change the screw caseback of the Pagani PD1701 V3 for a sapphire exhibition one from Spiralwinder? I was thinking of the one meant for caliber 3861 for the newest moonwatch. I can't find any info on the diameter or thread of pagani's or omega's...
Are you thinking of doing a display caseback with a quartz? It wouldn't be very attractive.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

Why would you do this?
Even if you put the ETA G10, it is still an ugly ass quartz. No rotor, not visible gears, just a slab of metal and plastic

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I think it would be hilarious to stick a life-sized photo of a 3861 movement behind the exhibition case back.

mawopo

13/9/24
People are probably gonna scream at my response but I want to put a picture of my family in the exhibition caseback, like those pocket watch or neck watch from the beginning of watches. I want my watch, the piece that i'll wear most often on me to remind me of what matters, TIME with my FAMILY. I wanted indeed a quartz movement so that the picture wouldn't interfere with the movement. Also, I think 0.1 (or whatever is the actual thickness of a picture paper is) is gonna be fine and not put too much pressure on the quartz and the dial.
I imagine the following scenario (going too much in detail here ahaha): the whole day, watching time, then at night, removing the watch and seeing my family in the caseback. Thank you all if any of you have any clue. I actually heard in a youtube video that the pagani v3 was modelled after the 1861 if that's of any help. on the side, i'm also trying to contact spiralwinder to give me a measurement of the thread.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
People are probably gonna scream at my response but I want to put a picture of my family in the exhibition caseback, like those pocket watch or neck watch from the beginning of watches. I want my watch, the piece that i'll wear most often on me to remind me of what matters, TIME with my FAMILY. I wanted indeed a quartz movement so that the picture wouldn't interfere with the movement. Also, I think 0.1 (or whatever is the actual thickness of a picture paper is) is gonna be fine and not put too much pressure on the quartz and the dial.
I imagine the following scenario (going too much in detail here ahaha): the whole day, watching time, then at night, removing the watch and seeing my family in the caseback. Thank you all if any of you have any clue. I actually heard in a youtube video that the pagani v3 was modelled after the 1861 if that's of any help. on the side, i'm also trying to contact spiralwinder to give me a measurement of the thread.
Oh actually this is a brilliant idea 🤗

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Personally, I love messing with things and marching to the beat of our own drummer is really quite satisfying.

@mawopo I say go for it! Have fun and I'd love to see the final product but it would be a good idea to blur out the faces because the Internet is a very weird place to be posting family photos without taking some precautions.

Danymr82

17/11/21
Long time watcher in the dark…first time builder!

Wanted to keep it simple and just do the sub-dial freeze mod in a metal case as it would be my first build.

Found this thread and plans changed ;)

I ended up using 3 watches to create the ultimate moonswitch build:

ha0CwW.png

ha0PVS.jpeg

• W77 Mission to the Moon
  • Jason007 Speedy Rep
  • Swatch Irony Chrono
Used all the recommendations from this thread and Another Moonswatch metal case project.

Most valuable of all was the personal support from @Slugger over the weeks I have been researching and building the mod. Happy to call him my mentor!

ha04L8.jpeg

First trial build with the vk63 hour and minute hands from the speedy rep and the swatch sweep second hand. I was not brave enough to try broaching and just used suitable hands.

ha0MrK.jpeg

The moment I dropped the movement into the vk63 case and tried the pushers, nothing happened :cry:. The movement and pushers were misaligned and needed a 1mm spacer.

habcR8.png

ha0fic.jpeg

Used a (Speedy 3861 esque) ETA 2824 sweep second hand, as it was plug and play! Although the moonshine gold homage is cool, considering getting a silver one for harmony with all the steel :unsure:

More pics:

ha0s7v.png

ha0GSi.jpeg

ha00Lb.png

Shoutout to @Caboose and @Karbon74 for their contributions to the community.

So, regarding compatibility with the G10 movement, if I understand correctly:
Seconds: Eta2824
Minutes and hours: VK63
Small hands: Vk63

Right?

Reactions: Karbon74

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
So, regarding compatibility with the G10 movement, if I understand correctly:
Seconds: Eta2824
Minutes and hours: VK63
Small hands: Vk63

Right?
You could also go with ETA 2824 for hour (150) and minute (90) hands as well as the sweep second hand (25).

I’m seeing conflicting sizes for the Hattori VK63 minute hand. According to the spec sheet, the minute hand (88) may be a bit snug and require very minimal broaching; however, sources like calibre corner say it is 90 which would be spot on. I’ve not tried it myself. Just passing on my research.

Regardless if it is 88 or 90, we’re talking a .02mm difference which is easily dealt with. My reason for mentioning the potential for the VK63 hand beeing a bit snug is just to offer a heads up. If it resists seating on the pinion, don’t force it. Just give it a very light broaching and you should be good to go.

Danymr82

17/11/21
You could also go with ETA 2824 for hour (150) and minute (90) hands as well as the sweep second hand (25).

I’m seeing conflicting sizes for the Hattori VK63 minute hand. According to the spec sheet, the minute hand (88) may be a bit snug and require very minimal broaching; however, sources like calibre corner say it is 90 which would be spot on. I’ve not tried it myself. Just passing on my research.

Regardless if it is 88 or 90, we’re talking a .02mm difference which is easily dealt with. My reason for mentioning the potential for the VK63 hand beeing a bit snug is just to offer a heads up. If it resists seating on the pinion, don’t force it. Just give it a very light broaching and you should be good to go.
Ok thanks for the info. I'll do some tests