• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

Snooky

Came for the reps, stayed for the banter!
Supporter
Certified
23/11/23
UK
WHAT IF?
the MoonSwatch was a vintage...

pay attention to the case and lugs twist, and of course the brass seconds hand & steel bezel

Ooh now that is special. That looks so good, I’d happily wear that daily. Nice going @Karbon74 :love:

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Ooh now that is special. That looks so good, I’d happily wear that daily. Nice going @Karbon74 :love:
I could not resist and I aged the case and insert 😅
My bracelet is uncomfortable though. I had them custom length but I had the buckle side too short.

Those cases are thicc though :(
It is itching me to machine down the caseback 👀

Reactions: oldtools

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I could not resist and I aged the case and insert 😅
My bracelet is uncomfortable though. I had them custom length but I had the buckle side too short.

Those cases are thicc though :(
It is itching me to machine down the caseback 👀
Oddly for the next ten Moonswatches I'll be building, there's going to be some new variants besides the classic Moon. Teaser during the serialization process, which too far longer than I expected, but should make these quite a bit cooler!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I still hate the stem trimming. It's horrible.
I feel each case has its own quirks, even worse for me as I do the crown swap

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I still hate the stem trimming. It's horrible.
I feel each case has its own quirks, even worse for me as I do the crown swap
I have now encountered four different variations of the caseback. FOUR. Absolutely insane variant with these cases. No issues with fitting, just some very interesting things I would have never expected.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I'm thinking . . . genuine Swatch Moon Watch with ETA . . . steel case, full vintage treatment . . . that's about $500 with labor, which is still a galaxy away from even the cheapest Omega Professional while giving out the same vibe.
I would totally pay that!

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I'm thinking . . . genuine Swatch Moon Watch with ETA . . . steel case, full vintage treatment . . . that's about $500 with labor, which is still a galaxy away from even the cheapest Omega Professional while giving out the same vibe.
Are you wanting to put an automatic Chrono movement in this thing? Which would fit?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

I am thinking about making such a one for myself indeed.
The full vintage treatment will allow to compensate for the lower finish vs gen Omega

It is a one way ticket though. The gen moonswatch cannot be disassembled. You need to cut the case open

Last edited:

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Are you wanting to put an automatic Chrono movement in this thing? Which would fit?
Nope.
I would want a Swiss ETA Quartz movement. I don't see it as a strict replica of a Professional; which is why I like the MoonSwatch dial. A mechanical movement would only complicate things, whereas a Swiss ETA Quartz should run for decades to come without a hiccup. And if it ever needs replacement, that's an easy and cheap fix.

Buying a GEN Omega MoonSwatch for $300 would make this a straight forward project.

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
you can swap the PE50 with
G10.211 & G10.212

The PE-50 hands (H/M/S/Sub) are sized as follows: 120/70/17/20
The ETA G10.212 hands are sized as follows: 150/90/25/20

In other words, you will need to broach:
the hour hand from 1.2mm to 1.5mm (+0.3mm);
the minute hand from 0.70mm to 0.90mm (+0.2mm);
the second hand from 0.17mm to 0.20mm (+0.03mm); and
the subdial hands will fit without broaching.
From <https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/the-moonswitch-project.10939341/page-5#post-11605860>

the main issue is that Swatch uses a specific G10.211 for the subdials function and they are hard to source as standalone
+ IMHO the rep hands are nice looking but very fragile

gen moonswatch is the way to go for this

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
This one has the rep acrylic crystal with the etched "S"
I filed it to size for a snap fit and lowered the crystal height. Hypocement to reinforce the hold.

I am waiting for the white and red curved end strap