• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another Moonswatch metal case project

DesertAdventures

16/9/17
You don't need new PE50 movements if you don't want, just new stems, which are available on AliX, here:

Another vendor actually has them cheaper here, but this appears to be a new addition:

If you do want the gen movement, you'll have to find a Swatch Irony on eBay and do a dial swap.
From what I can tell a lot of those irony models don’t have the g10:212. Plus they are all 20 years old. You can get a Gen brand new one for $45-50 and not have to deal with ripping the old case apart or potential problems.

DesertAdventures

16/9/17
Or if you hate yourself you can get a beautiful invicta watch for 60 that has the right movement and swap the pe50 back into that to have two watches 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Got20Mate

Snooky

Came for the reps, stayed for the banter!
Supporter
Certified
23/11/23
UK
You could do the sub-dial freezing mod to one movement, and not the other, and see which you like better!
I just tried the subial freezing with my AliExpress starter kit. It was all going so well… until a pinion broke off putting a hand back on. Bloody delicate things them pinions aren’t they!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I did worse. much worse.
My movement and dial was safely in a plastic box to protect it from dust

I was starting the assembly. The plastic lock snagged. I put a bit of force...the box slipped and flew against the wall while opening. Totally trashed. One rep in the bin 🙁

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I just tried the subial freezing with my AliExpress starter kit. It was all going so well… until a pinion broke off putting a hand back on. Bloody delicate things them pinions aren’t they!

@Snooky I suggest you buy a small tray(like surgeons) to put your tools.

Use tool, put in tray

It makes work more efficient as you always reach at the same place, and it will avoid having a watch part crushing against a tool on your mat

Reactions: Snooky

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS

This is a good set up, but highly recommend one of these to protect parts from dust... I actually have three. You can always use a flipped over Tupperware container but I prefer these because they have the little dividers.

I swear, the most work I do when building Moonswatches for people is removing dust from crystals, dials, and where ever else it chooses to hide. Those blowers are a life saver!

Reactions: Karbon74 and Snooky

Snooky

Supporter
Certified
23/11/23
UK
I did worse. much worse.

I was starting the assembly. The plastic lock snagged. I put a bit of force...the box slipped and flew against the wall while opening. Totally trashed. One rep in the bin 🙁
Oh no. Thank you for restoring my confidence that sh1t happens to the best of us :giggle:

Reactions: Karbon74

Snooky

Supporter
Certified
23/11/23
UK
@Snooky I suggest you buy a small tray(like surgeons) to put your tools.

Use tool, put in tray

It makes work more efficient as you always reach at the same place, and it will avoid having a watch part crushing against a tool on your mat
Yes great tip. Gradually building up my tool collection so will reach out for a nice surgeons tray. It’ll definitely beat my current setup of reaching back into a Jiffy bag of tools!

Snooky

Supporter
Certified
23/11/23
UK
This is a good set up, but highly recommend one of these to protect parts from dust... I actually have three. You can always use a flipped over Tupperware container but I prefer these because they have the little dividers.

I swear, the most work I do when building Moonswatches for people is removing dust from crystals, dials, and where ever else it chooses to hide. Those blowers are a life saver!
Now added to my ever growing AliExpress shopping cart. I think I’ve bought more from there than Amazon in the past month :ROFLMAO:. Thanks @Caboose!

This should hopefully mean that I’ll use less rodico trying to clean up. I picked up the rodico tip (especially for resetting hands) from yourself or @Karbon74 in this thread somewhere. Lifesaver!

DesertAdventures

16/9/17
I did worse. much worse.

Thats amazing. Although I think I could handle walking away from that better than the inevitable tweezer snap flying micro screw or tiny wheel and spending the next half hour with a magnet and flashlight looking around on the floor to find it.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Thats amazing. Although I think I could handle walking away from that better than the inevitable tweezer snap flying micro screw or tiny wheel and spending the next half hour with a magnet and flashlight looking around on the floor to find it.

I went through my plastic box bag and threw away any box that even closely ressembled that box :rolleyes:
just a 28€ cheap rep but I was so angry 😅

McManus

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
5/2/24
USA
You could do the sub-dial freezing mod to one movement, and not the other, and see which you like better!
A brilliant idea! Sounds like a great to see which one I like!

Last edited:

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Not sure if anyone has used that one yet. If the movement is a VK63 then it might work, but there is even variation between some of the VK63 cases that look the same, but not enough for the movement holder not to work (at least so far!)

a good file solves everything. plus some double side tape too...

Reactions: Kenneth17584